Culture Turning Around

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath Shaw had a lot of characteristics that made him a favourite in his time at Collingwood. He was courageous, played with flair and daring, and his rebounds were always packed with the anticipation with what he might do. How he played the game was obviously held as an example to others to follow. Unfortunately he was also an annoying p#$%, as noted by his playing mates in countless club videos. His attempts at on-field leadership in his latter days were revealing of where his maturity lay. I agree a pivotal moment was when he used a football in the face to express his state of mind. His mistake was to ignore all the calls to pull his head in, no doubt led by Buckley, and that was and always will be ultimately unacceptable at Collingwood.

It has been my belief that Buckley the coach needs to get a generational distance from his players in order to achieve his true potential. What I see in the "new breed" at Collingwood is a huge reverence for Buckley. I see also many potential leaders. I see this in Broomhead, Grundy, Karnezis, Moore, Scharenberg, Langdon and De Goey. It is no doubt that leadership and culture at Collingwood is in a state of flux at the moment, but there are many very positive signs that this is turning in the right direction.

Last edited:
Heath Shaw had a lot of characteristics that made him a favourite in his time at Collingwood. He was courageous, played with flair and daring, and his rebounds were always packed with the anticipation with what he might do. How he played the game was obviously held as an example to others to follow. Unfortunately he was also an annoying p#$%, as noted by his playing mates in countless club videos. His attempts at on-field leadership in his latter days were revealing of where his maturity lay. I agree a pivotal moment was when he used a football in the face to express his state of mind. His mistake was to ignore all the calls to pull his head in, no doubt led by Buckley, and that was and always will be ultimately unacceptable at Collingwood.

It has been my belief that Buckley the coach needs to get a generational distance from his players in order to achieve his true potential. What I see in the "new breed" at Collingwood is a huge reverence for Buckley. I see also many potential leaders. I see this in Broomhead, Grundy, Karnezis, Moore, Scharenberg, Langford and De Goey. It is no doubt that leadership and culture at Collingwood is in a state of flux at the moment, but there are many very positive signs that this is turning in the right direction.

When did we trade for Langford?

Don’t you mean Langdon

It has been my belief that Buckley the coach needs to get a generational distance from his players in order to achieve his true potential. What I see in the "new breed" at Collingwood is a huge reverence for Buckley. I see also many potential leaders. I see this in Broomhead, Grundy, Karnezis, Moore, Scharenberg, Langdon and De Goey. It is no doubt that leadership and culture at Collingwood is in a state of flux at the moment, but there are many very positive signs that this is turning in the right direction.

Terrific post.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I know exactly what it means, thank you very much.

Pretty sure that no-one is particularly happy with Adams' off field behaviour recently, bu the same time, discounting his hard work and on-field leadership because of that behaviouur is pretty self righteous.

At the end of the day, getting fined for having a few too many is a minor indiscretion. It's not like he is hanging out with underworld figures, getting in to fights, or taking drugs.
As long as he can learn from his mistake I see no issue, and have no problem praising him for the leadership he shows on the track.
I don't think it is self righteous at all. After all this topic is about turning culture around. Getting intoxicated in public has the absolute adverse effect on a club culture.
Training hard on the track doesn't mean that you are a leader. Everybody does that as Bucks won't tolterate anything else. It's being a professional off the track too. Adams has a lot to learn in that area. Rather than talk Adams up as a leader, I think he actually needs a mentor like Pendlebury to show him how to be a professional away from the club.

I don't think it is self righteous at all. After all this topic is about turning culture around. Getting intoxicated in public has the absolute adverse effect on a club culture.
Training hard on the track doesn't mean that you are a leader. Everybody does that as Bucks won't tolterate anything else. It's being a professional off the track too. Adams has a lot to learn in that area. Rather than talk Adams up as a leader, I think he actually needs a mentor like Pendlebury to show him how to be a professional away from the club.

What I read since. Don’t think it was he was Pissed, it was more that he and his Friends got into a Yelling and Maybe Pushing Match in a Geelong Nightclub.

Well I don’t think there was any Punishment for Adams from the Club. Just a Good Talking too

You're right. Just being a hard trainer does not = being a leader. There are other things players do to show their leadership on the track beyond working hard. Adams would not be getting called a future leader both at the pies and GWS if he did not show those qualities.
Regardless of his minor off field endeavours, the kid has clearly shown the hierarchy at Collingwood that he is a future leader, and trying to diminish his work at the club because of those endeavours, is not the way to bring out the best in him.

As a Geelongite I can say categorically that going into Lamby's in the first place was worthy of sanction just on taste grounds alone. The girls in there even used to let me chat them up, so clearly they were pretty desperate.

Getting kicked out of Lambys on the other hand is like getting mugged in Norlane, just part of being a local.

I am also a former Geelongite and I agree with you 100%. Lambys was a happy hunting ground for me. I can only assume that Adams got kicked out because he stood out like dogs bollocks. I have been pissed beyond recognition at that place and never even got asked the time, let alone asked to leave.

You're right. Just being a hard trainer does not = being a leader. There are other things players do to show their leadership on the track beyond working hard. Adams would not be getting called a future leader both at the pies and GWS if he did not show those qualities.
Regardless of his minor off field endeavours, the kid has clearly shown the hierarchy at Collingwood that he is a future leader, and trying to diminish his work at the club because of those endeavours, is not the way to bring out the best in him.

Once he cuts out the Small/Minor Off-Field Stuff he be put in that Postion Sooner then Later

Great post. Surprised this doen't come up more often. That distance from Bucks as a playing peer and from the culture of MM will, in theory, make all the difference.

These newer players appear, quite clearly, very hungry for success. Yep, all youngsters will feel that way, but perhaps ours were being influenced by a group of players that weren't that hungry because they had tasted the ultimate and thought they know what it takes to be a flagster and perhaps that didn't include needing that uncompromising desire to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully missing the finals last year will be a kick in the arse they needed and bring back a bit of hunger for the older players.
There wouldn't be too many on our list that have missed out on playing finals every year.
Last year, it seem like some of our players were just going through the motions, just expecting us to win.
The games against Gold Coast and the Bulldogs were two that stood out to me, and in also the GWS win, they just seemed to sit back and think "We'll win this".
Win those two and we were in the finals.
We need the Hunter Mentality back, where teams felt suffocated every time they got the ball.
Call it The Press, The Swarm, what ever, but we need to get some mongrel back into the side.
Something that makes the opposition fear playing us.

Last edited:
As a Geelongite I can say categorically that going into Lamby's in the first place was worthy of sanction just on taste grounds alone. The girls in there even used to let me chat them up, so clearly they were pretty desperate.

Getting kicked out of Lambys on the other hand is like getting mugged in Norlane, just part of being a local.

I used to live in Geelong too for about 8 months. I dont know much about the bar and pub scene though...... I left the town before I got sexually active. I returned to Melbourne with my parents just after my 35th birthday ...

Dennis Walter provided handy language tapes for the uninitiated.

I would have preferred the late great chrissy amphlett from the divinyls... actually she could have solved both the language and the virginity problems.

Hopefully missing the finals last year will be a kick in the arse they needed and bring back a bit of hunger for the older players.
There wouldn't be too many on our list that have missed out on playing finals every year.
Last year, it seem like some of our players were just going through the motions, just expecting us to win.
The games against Gold Coast and the Bulldogs were two that stood out to me, and in also the GWS win, they just seemed to sit back and think "We'll win this".
Win those two and we were in the finals.
We need the Hunter Mentality back, where teams felt suffocated every time they got the ball.
Call it The Press, The Swarm, what ever, but we need to get some mongrel back into the side.
Something that makes the opposition fear playing us.

So you think the Old Guys just took it as we would just make the Finals because we always made it and did not work hard enough?

So you think the Old Guys just took it as we would just make the Finals because we always made it and did not work hard enough?

It seemed to me that a lot of the times they just seemed to be going through the motions.
They didn't have that desperation that they had a year or two ago.
Goldsack was one of the only senior players that constantly applied manic pressure through out the season.

It seemed to me that a lot of the times they just seemed to be going through the motions.
They didn't have that desperation that they had a year or two ago.
Goldsack was one of the only senior players that constantly applied manic pressure through out the season.

So - You think they just Expected it to happen and as Usual it never happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Back