Opinion Current back line set up

Remove this Banner Ad

I like our current set-up. I think there has been a big improvement in how we bring the ball out of out defensive 50, especially our kick-in structure. Out back 6 all have decent foot skills and present to the kicker to find pockets of space and spread the opponent's zone. With Dawson there, he always lays a block against the opponent standing the mark which largely forces the kicker (usually Duff) to play on and kick long down the line to a contest.

This change has allowed us to bring the ball out quicker and cleaner, resulting in crisper ball movement and better attacking transition.

In saying that, we have gone from 3 talls down back (Dawson, McP and Johnson) to 2 talls plus a mid-sized who can play tall (Ibbo for Dawson). There will be some games where we are exposed on match-ups and/or injuries and get caught a little short down back.

With a fit list, it will be horses for courses with the match committee basing selections on the opponent and broader needs (resting McP, managing injuries etc). It's academic anyway as it's a near certainty that we will lose players throughout the course of a long tough campaign.

So far, so good. I think they will not rush to structurally change what has been a winning combination to this point.

Personally I'll feel a lot more comfortable when we have Dawson or Silvagni playing back in the team.Who makes way from the current starting line up?For me ,I'd take out Duffield.
I find it really difficult to argue against the results that are on the board. The run that we have at the moment and the improved disposal significant factors for us.

In the "easier" games to come I would be happy to move Sutty into the midfield and drop Subes or De Boer.

Both Subes and De Boer played well last night and deserve to keep their spots but they are still probably the last two players in our team selected.
Which tall forwards have done the damage that would make you want to bring in Dawson at the cost of Suban or de Boer? Reality is that so far we have had them covered, but where we have had some issues is sustaining the midfield pressure for 4 quarters. Dawson in makes that more difficult.

Which tall forwards have done the damage that would make you want to bring in Dawson at the cost of Suban or de Boer? Reality is that so far we have had them covered, but where we have had some issues is sustaining the midfield pressure for 4 quarters. Dawson in makes that more difficult.
I wasn't clear but I was more talking about bringing Sheridan in.

All it really shows is that we will be ok back there post McPharlin even without a Rance or some other gun.

Went alright against Sydney who have one of the most hyped forward lines at least. Adelaide would really stretch us. Can't really think of any other teams that'd really stretch us for height anyway. The only reason we play three talls really is because Johnson is just so good by foot. Ibbotson, Sutcliffe and similar types would be enough against most teams. The third tall in a forward line hardly ever hurts us or anyone for that matter.

I agree, it's going to be tough to contain sides with two good key forwards without another tall. Tippett was vital in getting Sydney back in the game last night, and Dawson plays well on leading forwards like him. We should always be looking to improve even though we're winning

Mismatches work both ways. Smaller defense can run the ball out quicker but have issues with players deep.

In the second half we had issues with Tippett playing deep on Johnson and therefore, taking our "quarter back" out of the game. If we had Dawson, he could have played on Tippett, releasing Johnson on Reid.

Also, the quicker and more skillful will work at Subiaco and MCG, not much at Sydney or Docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never been sold on Dawson. Having a defender that can't kick is restrictive in these days of high pressure football. A lot of lost opportunities when you have to hold it up because of the lack of kicking skills.

He's useful but not a huge loss.

I'm not so sure that Dawson should be an automatic inclusion. Not having Dawson and Crowley this season so far means we replaced them with players with decent ball use and I personally prefer that. Having said that, Zac is RTB's favourite so he'll probably slot back in as soon as he's fit.

I still find Ibbotson is a bit slow with his ball use - it's fine when we need to go slow and controlled, but when we need to move it quickly I reckon it can become a problem again. Both he and Johnson play a similar role under "normal" circumstances, but I reckon when Dawson is back there may be competition between them, and Johnson breaks the lines better for mine (Dawson is can be another slow mover of the ball). Sutcliffe is the other one that might make way, or at least he may go back to being the "Sub"-cliffe with another player going out of the team. Sheridan is competing for the same sort of role with Sutcliffe and Duffield; I just don't see him pushing either out at this point in time....but we will see.

The least likely for the midfield rotation,or just take out Suban.
Fair enough. I was just a bit surprised because Duff is probably top 5 in our team for disposal and rarely plays a bad game. Unfortunately Suban and deBoer are at the bottom of the pecking order so I guess I naturally look at them to make way first. Interesting point though.

Everyone is saying our improvement is because of Crowley out, but really I say having Dawson out has made us more attacking.

Dawson inability to kick long and take calculated risks means our transition is slow from defence to the midfield.

But I wouldn't worry too much, he will be back as injuries are inevitable at some point.

Between this and the "crap crowd" thread I worry for the mental health of a few posters when we actually, you know, LOSE a game.

Tell me about it We are 4-0 and currently on top of the ladder.(Go Doggies)
We have beaten teams that finished the 2014 season in 5th,3rd,N/A(witches hats) and first on the ladder.
We have beaten Sydney who beat us in a QF and Port in a SF.
Enjoy the moment people!

Duffield has been immense in the clinches this season. Hard to see who to take out, but I reckon Dawson will work his way back in eventually. It's a long season.

Sutcliffe is the other one that might make way, or at least he may go back to being the "Sub"-cliffe with another player going out of the team.

Did I fall asleep and wake up in 2012 or something?

I know the Internet is a strange place but I often say to the Mrs when reading this forum after watching the Dockers that it feels like I've watched a completely different game to other people.

Don't feel confident in the backline, drop Sutty, out Pearce.. think that's enough internet for me today.

Feel much better with Dawson or Silvagni playing on the second tall, allowing Johnson to be loose and distribute the ball. Now not many teams have 2 key forwards that can be damaging like Sydney. However with Johno, Ibbo, Sutty and Duffield down back we have 4 players that can actually distribute the ball well and setup a rebound. Taking one of them out we may improve our defence but we will lose some offence. Going off the Boss' press conference and analysis of last night we let them enter our 50 too quickly in the second half, which prevents someone like Ibbo floating infront and taking an intercept mark. I think our back 6 is fine for now, have good depth for injury for once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back