List Mgmt. Current Contract Lengths

Remove this Banner Ad

We are going to be in for a few good years. Everyone resigning re-signing :)
Edited to ease heart palpitations out there.
(It was last October that everone was resigning... or pigshooting or whatever they call it).

Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb signed up until end of 2017 season. So that Tom Boyd contract ISN'T stuffing up the salary cap hmmm?
This is obviously good news but it raises a question. How much should we read into a one year extension beyond next year?
There were six 18yo draftees and all had an automatic two year contract taking them to the end of 2016. So far four of them who have played the most senior footy in 2015 have extended to the end of 2017 leaving only Hamilton and Z.Cordy on their original contract.

On face value this is good. It keeps them at VUWO for another 2 years.

However if these players are worth keeping why haven't we locked them up until at least 2018? And if all goes to plan, won't we have to go through the whole process again next year (end of 2016) so that we aren't leaving their contract renewal until after the 2017 gets under way? That seems like unnecessary extra work for JMac and team. Some possible reasons:
  • We are not yet convinced they will be good enough through to 2018 (unlikely)
  • The players and their managers are not sure how good they will become (look at Stringer and Bont's emergence) and so they are saying to their charges "just extend one year until you can improve your contract value, then if you really want to stay we can go for a 3-4 year contract." (I think this is a more likely scenario)
  • The flip side of the above is that perhaps we aren't yet sure how to juggle our TPP for the younger players (i.e. what's the right allocation of salary against skill/value) so we don't want to lock these young players into longer term contracts yet unless they are already out and out guns like Stringer, Macrae and Bont. (possible)
  • We want to keep other clubs' grubby poachers at bay so a 1-year extension is a good interim move (likely)
  • We have an eye on the need for delistings and trades at the end of each of the next few years (at least I hope we do) and we are trying to align their contracts with these decision points (possible)
  • The players are not sure if they want a long term future at VUWO but are happy to stay there for now and see how it pans out (possible but I would hope unlikely!)
  • The players could use the extra future income guarantee as loan collateral for a fancy car or whatever (grasping at straws here!)

Also what does this mean for Hamilton and Zaine? I fully expect Zaine to get an extension, whether it's done this year or next year, but I expect we'll have a closer look at Hamilton before deciding whether to extend him.

What is the norm for draftees' first contract extensions? One year? Or longer?

its normal for clubs just to give a one year extension since it allows them to re-work the contract with their management when they are three years into the AFL system which normally allows for players to push for more money and the club to either trade or promote the player

Nothing wrong with it

its normal for clubs just to give a one year extension since it allows them to re-work the contract with their management when they are three years into the AFL system which normally allows for players to push for more money and the club to either trade or promote the player

Nothing wrong with it
So in other words we shouldn't "rejoice" that players have committed to the club. It's no serious commitment - just business as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in other words we shouldn't "rejoice" that players have committed to the club. It's no serious commitment - just business as usual.
In terms of new draftees yeah

This is obviously good news but it raises a question. How much should we read into a one year extension beyond next year?
There were six 18yo draftees and all had an automatic two year contract taking them to the end of 2016. So far four of them who have played the most senior footy in 2015 have extended to the end of 2017 leaving only Hamilton and Z.Cordy on their original contract.

On face value this is good. It keeps them at VUWO for another 2 years.

However if these players are worth keeping why haven't we locked them up until at least 2018? And if all goes to plan, won't we have to go through the whole process again next year (end of 2016) so that we aren't leaving their contract renewal until after the 2017 gets under way? That seems like unnecessary extra work for JMac and team. Some possible reasons:
  • We are not yet convinced they will be good enough through to 2018 (unlikely)
  • The players and their managers are not sure how good they will become (look at Stringer and Bont's emergence) and so they are saying to their charges "just extend one year until you can improve your contract value, then if you really want to stay we can go for a 3-4 year contract." (I think this is a more likely scenario)
  • The flip side of the above is that perhaps we aren't yet sure how to juggle our TPP for the younger players (i.e. what's the right allocation of salary against skill/value) so we don't want to lock these young players into longer term contracts yet unless they are already out and out guns like Stringer, Macrae and Bont. (possible)
  • We want to keep other clubs' grubby poachers at bay so a 1-year extension is a good interim move (likely)
  • We have an eye on the need for delistings and trades at the end of each of the next few years (at least I hope we do) and we are trying to align their contracts with these decision points (possible)
  • The players are not sure if they want a long term future at VUWO but are happy to stay there for now and see how it pans out (possible but I would hope unlikely!)
  • The players could use the extra future income guarantee as loan collateral for a fancy car or whatever (grasping at straws here!)

Also what does this mean for Hamilton and Zaine? I fully expect Zaine to get an extension, whether it's done this year or next year, but I expect we'll have a closer look at Hamilton before deciding whether to extend him.

What is the norm for draftees' first contract extensions? One year? Or longer?

Great questions. I have been pondering the same questions. I found it odd we didn't lock them in with 2 yr extensions. Was wondering about Zaine as well.

Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb signed up until end of 2017 season. So that Tom Boyd contract ISN'T stuffing up the salary cap hmmm?
I dont think Boyd's contract will be much of a factor when we are contending but you cant draw any conclusions from these signings.

Hate to be a negative nancy but it is a one year contract extension on their 2 year base deals, given we are frontloading Boyd for the next few years that means if anything if will affect WB's ability to retain those two.

given we are frontloading Boyd for the next few years that means if anything if will affect WB's ability to retain those two.
I might be missing something here, but I thought front loading means paying more early and less later. Thus, by signing more players so they come out of contract later, we will have more money to pay them then if we needed to give them new contracts sooner. Therefore, the longer people are signed up the better. Do we have any idea how Boyd's contract is structured?

I might be missing something here, but I thought front loading means paying more early and less later. Thus, by signing more players so they come out of contract later, we will have more money to pay them then if we needed to give them new contracts sooner. Therefore, the longer people are signed up the better. Do we have any idea how Boyd's contract is structured?
From what i have read on this board (which also makes perfect sense given Boyd's contract is capped this year at the rookie rate) is that he will be massively front loaded next 3-4 years. Thus naturally it would be better for Mclean and co to come out of contract after the frontloading given there will be more 'space' in the salary cap.

This is purely speculative but i envisage Boyd's contract to be something along the lines of this:
2015: 180k (draftee wage 'cap')
2016: $2m (800k freed up given we no longer pay griffen and IIRC we can pay 105% of the cap next year given we only hit the minimum 95% this year)
2017: $1.25m
2018: $1.25m
2019 - 2021: 440k

Ideally we would want players coming out of contract at the end of 2018 (Stringer and Macrae), I would otherwise say 2017 but the Bont would be asking for a substantial pay rise at the end of that year. I would like to have seen Webb and McLean get 2 year contract extensions taking them to the end of 2018.

From what i have read on this board (which also makes perfect sense given Boyd's contract is capped this year at the rookie rate) is that he will be massively front loaded next 3-4 years. Thus naturally it would be better for Mclean and co to come out of contract after the frontloading given there will be more 'space' in the salary cap.

This is purely speculative but i envisage Boyd's contract to be something along the lines of this:
2015: 180k (draftee wage 'cap')
2016: $2m (800k freed up given we no longer pay griffen and IIRC we can pay 105% of the cap next year given we only hit the minimum 95% this year)
2017: $1.25m
2018: $1.25m
2019 - 2021: 440k

Ideally we would want players coming out of contract at the end of 2018 (Stringer and Macrae), I would otherwise say 2017 but the Bont would be asking for a substantial pay rise at the end of that year. I would like to have seen Webb and McLean get 2 year contract extensions taking them to the end of 2018.
I would assume something similar. It probably also means that Boyd, Murphy and Morris will be coming towards retiring at a good time for the club.

Hey lads sorry for the intrusion but was wondering if there are any big name young guns coming out of contract this year?

Hey lads sorry for the intrusion but was wondering if there are any big name young guns coming out of contract this year?
Lachie Hunter is really the only one that could be described as a "big name young gun." Aside from that there are a few developing youngsters that we're optimistic about that haven't quite broken out yet, middle-aged good role players, and veterans.

At any rate, unless you plan on giving up O'Meara/Wright/Lynch/May/Kolodjashnij/Garlett, hands off. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back