List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's towelling up Lynch and Dixon in training, despite only being able to train once a week, then I think he should seriously be considered. It just depends on how he gets back. 4 weeks until a NEAFL return. If he can string 4 games in a row at that level, it gives him two at senior level in the H&A season.

He would be a huge boost for our back 6.

nothing would make me happier to see bocky running around for us again, and playing good footy. as TJB said, freeing up McKenzie from having to play 3rd tall would benefit us greatly, not to mention we could swing him forward.

but at what cost? if someone like broughton, rischa, or nicholls doesn't get a contract next year, with bock favoured instead that's a risky move.

with 5 to go at the end of the year: murphy, allen, warnock, taylor, hutchins. that's the only way i'd be happy, as much as i'd hate to see hutchy go. :(

nothing would make me happier to see bocky running around for us again, and playing good footy. as TJB said, freeing up McKenzie from having to play 3rd tall would benefit us greatly, not to mention we could swing him forward.

but at what cost? if someone like broughton, rischa, or nicholls doesn't get a contract next year, with bock favoured instead that's a risky move.

with 5 to go at the end of the year: murphy, allen, warnock, taylor, hutchins. that's the only way i'd be happy, as much as i'd hate to see hutchy go. :(

No way would that happen. It would be a minimal wage one year contract.

Starting to become more and more obvious who will be delisted at the year of this season. Allen, Murphy and Taylor are locks in my opinion. Hutchins, Warnock and Sumner to battle it out for the 2 remaining spots. If Karmichael leaves then Allen, Murphy, Taylor and Hunt will be the four delisted along with Josh Hall from the rookie list.

Matchu are those delisting just the reducing list size and and the regular 3 draft picks?, or does that also make way for Boston to be elevated?
Unfortunately not. They would need to delist 5 players from the senior list to elevate Boston. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Bock was delisted and put on to the rookie list to allow Boston on to the senior list.

Starting to become more and more obvious who will be delisted at the year of this season. Allen, Murphy and Taylor are locks in my opinion. Hutchins, Warnock and Sumner to battle it out for the 2 remaining spots. If Karmichael leaves then Allen, Murphy, Taylor and Hunt will be the four delisted along with Josh Hall from the rookie list.
Bit of X-factor with Timmy and a work in progress - that should save him.

can see why maysie's been playing so well and wanted to re-sign!

10467806_1429099960709424_1283508842_n.jpg

@stevenmay My new house is finally built! #firsthouse #debt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at potential changes to the free agency next year (link) and it's starting to become obvious the Suns will be targeted by other clubs if the rules do change. The idea is that players will become restricted free agents after just six seasons with their club instead of the current eight season rule. When you look through the Suns list and who is eligible for free agency in 2016 (the first season they can be), you start to realise it could get really hard for the Suns to hold on to everyone. For example, at this point in time, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Sam Day would become restricted free agents at the end of 2016 when their current contracts expire. The following year includes much bigger names and convincing all those guys to take less money than they can get elsewhere is going to be a huge challenge for the Suns. The one saving grace for the Suns may be that their premiership window is well and truly open at that point in time which should result in players that are more willing to take pay cuts.

Any news on the Tommy Nichols re-signing? I wonder what the sticking point is or whether the Sydney rumours have some merit to them?

Last edited:
Just looking at potential changes to the free agency next year (link) and it's starting to become obvious the Suns will be targeted by other clubs if the rules do change. The idea is that players will become restricted free agents after just six seasons with their club instead of the current eight season rule. When you look through the Suns list and who is eligible for free agency in 2016 (the first season they can be), you start to realise it could get really hard for the Suns to hold on to everyone. For example, at this point in time, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Sam Day would become restricted free agents at the end of 2016 when their current contracts expire. The following year includes much bigger names and convincing all those guys to take less money than they can get elsewhere is going to be a huge challenge for the Suns. The one saving grace for the Suns may be that their premiership window is well and truly open at that point in time which should result in players that are more willing to take pay cuts.

If the 6 years thing gets up that will be the last straw for me with AFL, we will become a feeder club to the wealthy clubs, developing the kids and then having them ripped away to play for the wealth perennial flag hopefuls. Other clubs such as the lions, Bulldogs, North, Saints etc will also be decimated and basically left to dwell at the bottom half of the ladder while the Hawks, Pies, bombers, Eagles, Freo, Crows, Cats etc will reap the benefits.

I can only hope that a Vic club folds / relocates interstate so that the balance of power is removed from Victoria and will can finally have a equitable and truly national competition.

If the 6 years thing gets up that will be the last straw for me with AFL, we will become a feeder club to the wealthy clubs, developing the kids and then having them ripped away to play for the wealth perennial flag hopefuls. Other clubs such as the lions, Bulldogs, North, Saints etc will also be decimated and basically left to dwell at the bottom half of the ladder while the Hawks, Pies, bombers, Eagles, Freo, Crows, Cats etc will reap the benefits.

I can only hope that a Vic club folds / relocates interstate so that the balance of power is removed from Victoria and will can finally have a equitable and truly national competition.
It's just the AFL attempting to become more like the American sports leagues and more specifically the NBA. It's not necessarily a bad thing, the NBA is run very well but equalisation becomes a lot harder if these measures are undertaken. What it'll probably evolve into is a soft salary cap which allows teams to go over the salary cap to re-sign their own players.

I also think it's just a matter of time before the AFL starts publishing player salaries (like in the US) and you'll have to live up to what you're being paid. If you don't then you'll get crucified for being overpaid.

It's just the AFL attempting to become more like the American sports leagues and more specifically the NBA. It's not necessarily a bad thing, the NBA is run very well but equalisation becomes a lot harder if these measures are undertaken. What it'll probably evolve into is a soft salary cap which allows teams to go over the salary cap to re-sign their own players.

I also think it's just a matter of time before the AFL starts publishing player salaries (like in the US) and you'll have to live up to what you're being paid. If you don't then you'll get crucified for being overpaid.

That's exactly what I am afraid of, when all the high profile players get out of contract they go to the super rich teams, LA Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Heat, etc how many times do we see a top player go to a dud franchise like the Bucks, Kings, TimberWolves, Pelicans, Bobcats etc.

Recent examples of lower teams losing star players include
Shaq from Orlando to Lakers to Heat
Dwight Howard from Orlando to Lakers to Rockets
LeBron from Cleveland to Heat
Bosh from Raptors to Heat
Mello from Nuggets to Knicks
Amare from Suns to Knicks

Going back further the Lakers also grabbed a couple of other handy players from lowly teams
Kareem from Bucks to Lakers
Wilt Chamberlain from Philly to Lakers

Farking Lakers

The NBA even had to block CP3's move to the Lakers a couple of years back

Any news on the Tommy Nichols re-signing? I wonder what the sticking point is or whether the Sydney rumours have some merit to them?

Tried to suss out a Suns official today at open training about T.Nichs and his contract extension, response I got was talks back in full swing again, T.Nichs does want to stay, but still no signature. Didn't say $$$ were the sticking point, but guess not much else it could be?

Gretel has moved back to QLD too. I'm sure it's just the specific stuff.
Now that Gretel (his gf) has signed with the QLD netball team, you'd think Tommy would be inclined to sign a reasonably long deal with the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back