List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the likelyhood of Boston being upgraded from rookie? When will something like that be announced if it were to happen?

What's the likelyhood of Boston being upgraded from rookie? When will something like that be announced if it were to happen?

Slim, just due to his season (injuries)

Still able to be kept on the rookie list for one more season. I expect the SUNS to utilise that in trying to unearth an extra player

10683748_766599900052330_394320847_n.jpg

russellluke8: Pumped to be staying with these boys! Love em!

good on ya lukey!

So 6 spots to fill, 3 through the draft, so that means we will attain 3 players through free agency, upgrading rookies, or as we now have all our players contracted.. trading contracted players. Is that right??

So 6 spots to fill, 3 through the draft, so that means we will attain 3 players through free agency, upgrading rookies, or as we now have all our players contracted.. trading contracted players. Is that right??
Starting to doubt we'll actually get anyone in the FA, so I reckon it'll be from other routes. I hope I'm wrong.

We've got a whole department to worry about that stuff mate, we'll be right.. but it must be said that to re-sign every player that we wanted to take us forward is a monumental effort by our footy department - well done!

We've got a whole department to worry about that stuff mate, we'll be right.. but it must be said that to re-sign every player that we wanted to take us forward is a monumental effort by the club - well done!

Josh Hall is getting a senior upgrade so that is going to take a spot

I still reckon someone will be up for trade
Interesting. I suppose that means the three year max rookie rule still applies. So that will leave five senior spots open with a minimum of three to be draftees. So essentially two open spots on the senior list. The club still seems to be a chance for Frawley but that is looking unlikely. I've seen reports that Malceski may want to stay at Sydney now so he could be off the table. The only other players I've seen linked to the Suns are Merrett and Dempsey. Unlike the situation for Beams, the Suns won't have to give up the world to acquire either Merrett or Dempsey.

So how would it work? Well Dan Gorringe has already signalled he may be on the trading block and Essendon are about to lose their number one ruckman in Ryder so they will be in need of another tall who can ruck. Enter Daniel Gorringe. Pick 27 + Gorringe would be about right for Dempsey I would have thought. Keeping in mind that Dempsey will be an unrestricted free agent next year and it is well known he is struggling to deal with the fact that his wife and kids live in Brisbane. To counteract the fact that the Suns would be losing a ruckman, I would think the club would use their third rounder to draft Braydon Preuss out of their academy.

So what about Merrett? This one is a bit harder. If the rumours are to believed it's that big sauce is on the outer up at the Gabba so perhaps the Lions will go easy on the little brother after likely capturing Beams. Maybe pick 15 for Merrett and a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder? I think 15 is too much for Merrett so a little sweetner would seal it in my opinion. That would leave one senior spot open for a guy like Boston to be upgraded and the Suns to use three picks in the draft, with one of them tied to Preuss out of the academy. The Suns would keep pick 7 and acquire Merrett + Dempsey while only really losing Gorringe. Anyway, here is the simple version of what I'm saying:

Gold Coast give:
Gorringe (to Essendon)
Pick 27 (to Essendon)
Pick 15 (to Brisbane)

Gold Coast get:
Dempsey (from Essendon)
Merrett (from Brisbane)
Late 2nd round/Early 3rd round pick (from Brisbane)

Brisbane are likely to trade their top pick to Collingwood for Beams so I'm sure they'll be interested in pick 15 from the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 for Sauce Merrett is way, way too much. He's only got a couple of years left in him, max.
Yep. So Brisbane would have to give more and that would likely come in the way of a draft pick considering the Suns wouldn't want their second pick to be in the middle of the third round.

Merrett + pick 24 for pick 15 perhaps? That would mean the Suns would have picks 7, 24 and 45. Brisbane get a pick in the first round and also clear cap space as well as getting rid of an older player supposedly on the outer. It would also give them a bit more cap space to work with. I can see why both clubs would be interested in a trade like that.

OP updated. Allen, Bock, Hunt, Hutchins, Murphy, Taylor and Warnock removed from the senior list. Osbourne removed from the rookie list. 32 players now on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list. Sumner, Russell, Rischitelli and Broughton have been changed to 2015 as it is presumed that have signed one year extensions. It will be changed if any further information is provided. Senior listed players off contract in 2015 include Smith, Sumner, Russell, Ablett, Gorringe, Thompson, Schade, Dixon, Shaw, Cameron, Hall, Rischitelli, Broughton, Lonergan and Tape. I'd imagine a few of those guys will be re-signed before the 2015 season starts.

Due to list reductions, the club now has 6 open spots on the senior list and is required to make a minimum of 3 picks in the draft. That leaves 3 spots for the team to work with when it comes to trading a free agency. Could be some interesting times ahead...

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many draft picks you guys have and it appears you have a lot of slots open because of retirees, delistments etc. Also confused about why GCS need to trim their squad down, it was at 40 at start of year with maximum amount of Cat A Rookies, so that would mean 8 spots, not 6? Happy to be walked through, I'll go through my processes below to make it easier.

Gone post-2014 from Senior List:

Allen (delisted)
Bock (retired)
Brown (released)
Hunt (code-swap)
Hutchins (delisted)
Murphy (retired)
Taylor (delisted)
Warnock (delisted)

40-8 = 32 spots.

Rookie list is a bit more complicated but Osborne going means there's 2 Cat A Rookies left (Hall, Herbert), 2 Cat B Rookies (Boston, Ellis).

I can't imagine there'd be a massive drive to get Rookies but basically Gold Coast is able to get 2 Cat A Rookies without affect their squad size, if they want 6 then that would mean 38 senior spot lists. The table located here would be best to explain it:

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CBA-2012-2016-FINAL.pdf (page 87).

So regardless, that's at least 6 draft picks needed, 8 if wanting a full list, or an extra 2 rookies if they wish, which is a lot.

If Josh Hall is getting promoted, that takes a late pick away.

Coincidentally, apparently it seems Malceski has signed as a free agent.

So that's 6 at least still needed. Is anything wrong with that working out?

7 picks isn't necessarily that uncommon, I think Brisbane had that number last year and are in a similar turnover phase again.

In the members statement it stated we will be getting a lot more rookies, some mature aged, this year.

Oh and we will most likely target more mature talent with our picks. Ashcroft was in talks about Merrett with Brissy today.

Oh haha, penny just dropped (just remembered) that you have two extra compo picks in 1st and 3rd round, so that will save having to make a lot of late picks. All clicks into place, pity that couldn't have happened half an hour ago :p

Not including compo distro I think the picks are:
7, 16, 27, 44, 46, 63, 81 (Hall)

If Hall goes onto senior list then yeah, you do have lots of rookie spots open, at least 3. Mature Aged rookies - like Horsely? o_O

Oh haha, penny just dropped (just remembered) that you have two extra compo picks in 1st and 3rd round, so that will save having to make a lot of late picks. All clicks into place, pity that couldn't have happened half an hour ago :p

Not including compo distro I think the picks are:
7, 16, 27, 44, 46, 63, 81 (Hall)

If Hall goes onto senior list then yeah, you do have lots of rookie spots open, at least 3. Mature Aged rookies - like Horsely? o_O

Hindsight is beautiful aint it. Horsely had just come off an ACL and had shocking disposal.

OP updated. Malceski added, McKenna removed. Malceski is signed until the end of 2017 and will remain at the bottom of the list until his guernsey number is revealed. The senior list currently stands at 33 players with 5 spots to fill. 3 of those spots will go to draftees so they still have 2 senior spots to work with. It is looking likely that Josh Hall will get upgraded to the senior list so there may only be 1 free spot left on the senior list. Ashcroft also indicated that the club will pick up some more rookies this off season. I believe the limit is 6 and they already have Herbert, Boston and Ellis. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up some locals that missed out on the national draft to fill those extra rookie spots.

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many draft picks you guys have and it appears you have a lot of slots open because of retirees, delistments etc. Also confused about why GCS need to trim their squad down, it was at 40 at start of year with maximum amount of Cat A Rookies, so that would mean 8 spots, not 6? Happy to be walked through, I'll go through my processes below to make it easier.

Gone post-2014 from Senior List:

Allen (delisted)
Bock (retired)
Brown (released)
Hunt (code-swap)
Hutchins (delisted)
Murphy (retired)
Taylor (delisted)
Warnock (delisted)

40-8 = 32 spots.

Rookie list is a bit more complicated but Osborne going means there's 2 Cat A Rookies left (Hall, Herbert), 2 Cat B Rookies (Boston, Ellis).

I can't imagine there'd be a massive drive to get Rookies but basically Gold Coast is able to get 2 Cat A Rookies without affect their squad size, if they want 6 then that would mean 38 senior spot lists. The table located here would be best to explain it:

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CBA-2012-2016-FINAL.pdf (page 87).

So regardless, that's at least 6 draft picks needed, 8 if wanting a full list, or an extra 2 rookies if they wish, which is a lot.

If Josh Hall is getting promoted, that takes a late pick away.

Coincidentally, apparently it seems Malceski has signed as a free agent.

So that's 6 at least still needed. Is anything wrong with that working out?

7 picks isn't necessarily that uncommon, I think Brisbane had that number last year and are in a similar turnover phase again.
My understanding is that you are only allowed 38 players on your senior list. The rule may have been changed in the last few years and I'm happy to be proven wrong.

My understanding is that you are only allowed 38 players on your senior list. The rule may have been changed in the last few years and I'm happy to be proven wrong.

From the pdf I referenced:

upload_2014-10-7_10-32-32.png

There's also 5 picks in the first 3 round, I'd be very surprised if you didn't use them all, and use a later one to upgrade a rookie (such as Hall). That's 6 players (out of possible 7) to the senior list there.

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-7_10-32-21.png
    upload_2014-10-7_10-32-21.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 9
From the pdf I referenced:

View attachment 85076

There's also 5 picks in the first 3 round, I'd be very surprised if you didn't use them all, and use a later one to upgrade a rookie (such as Hall). That's 6 players (out of possible 7) to the senior list there.
You could be right but Ashcroft said they are going to pick up more rookies later this year. Probably a combination of mature talent outside of QLD and some young locals as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but theoretically there are 7 open spots on their senior list right now with a minimum of 3 to be used on draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back