Current Losing Streak & Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not this year after Melbourne last year had a worse year than us and didn't get one.

But next year is a distinct possibility, especially if we "win" the spoon and 4 games or less.

Our financial position is probably as bad as Port's a few years ago and if next year is similar to this year, which I think all of us expect it will be, then I can't see it improving so more financial assistance may be in line but I'm not sure if the AFL really wants to use priority picks anymore.

Definitely not this year after Melbourne last year had a worse year than us and didn't get one.

But next year is a distinct possibility, especially if we "win" the spoon and 4 games or less.

Our financial position is probably as bad as Port's a few years ago and if next year is similar to this year, which I think all of us expect it will be, then I can't see it improving so more financial assistance may be in line but I'm not sure if the AFL really wants to use priority picks anymore.
Melbourne had how many before last year? they tanked it's why they never got one, while if it wasn't for the AFL they wouldn't have Paul Roos.

Completely opposite thought here. Not despairing at finishing last and getting first pick of each round, and rookie draft, but do not want AFL's sympathy or draft pick.

I want us to do as we have in past couple of years, trade well, draft cleverly and build our own list. I don't want anyone saying we only won the premiership in ?????? because of the AFL's priority picks. Equate that to the same charity (at a far lower level, that was given to Suns and Giants) and do not want to be anyone's charity case.

So for me, definitely do not want a charity pick.
Not to be interpreted as charity SS, if the AFL deem it's necessary the Saints get a leg up.
I grew up with the attitude, you never knock back a good offer. Let's look at the deal we have with Etihad, & how it's cost us millions of dollars a year over the journey. Another is the fixture & how we seem to annually cop six away interstate matches..Stevie Baker receiving harsh penalties for breathing on opponents..In the next month or so, I suspect we'll learn more re the priority pick that might be heading our way..

I reckon we wont get one next year either because the afl will be too interested to see how its equalisation measures are impacting the off field than the on field. PP will throw those results out and give mcguire another excuse to winge.
That by itself is a good enough reason to give us one.

Sunshine, charity is needed, I'd happily take it and bank Petracca, don't need to be too proud when a talent like him is on the line :)

To be honest, I'm enjoying this new period, it's sorting out the men from the boys, guys like Seb Ross and Shenton have stood up, whilst other unnamed have not.
You wouldn't take the two talls (Wright and McCartin) if we got pick 1 and 2?

Priority picks from 1999 - 2009:
1999: Collingwood 1, Fremantle 2
2000: St Kilda 1
2001: Hawks 1, St Kilda 2, West Coast 3
2002: Carlton 1 (taken from them for being cheats)
2003: Bulldogs 1, Carlton 2, Melbourne 3
2004: Richmond 1, Hawks 2, Bulldogs 3
2005: Carlton 1, Collingwood 2, Hawks 3
2006: Carlton 17, Essendon 18
2007: Richmond 18
2008: Melbourne 17, West Coast 18
2009: Melbourne 1

Club tally 1999 - 2009:
Bulldogs: 1, 3
Carlton: 1, 2, 1, 17
Collingwood: 1, 2
Essendon: 18
Fremantle: 2
Hawthorn: 1, 2, 3
Melbourne: 3, 17, 1
Richmond: 1, 18
St Kilda: 1, 2
West Coast: 3, 18

If the AFL can bend over backwards to ensure that the Bummer-jabbers don't get suspended, they can flipping well give us a priority pick.
It's time for the boys club to look after the Saints. On a business level, the Saints getting flogged week after week over the next few years won't be good for business..GC & GWS had a couple of tough years, but we all knew their destiny was assured due to pre draft concessions & the top draft picks over multiple years..Common sense says an end of first rd pick this year is justified..

Take the best players whoever they are deemed to be by the recruiting staff, happy to have the Larke medalist running around delivering to Patty, also happy to have a Wright or Brayshaw. Unlike my good mate Rahul, I'm very buoyant on the top 5 players, elite ability who given a few years will be bonafide stars.
If I had to pick them I'd say McCartin can be Plugger like, Petracca, Dustin Martin with better skills, Wright the next Dean Cox with better kicking skills, Brayshaw the next Dane Swan as a massive accumulator with a big tank and Clem Smith a Michael Long prototype.

It's time for the boys club to look after the Saints. On a business level, the Saints getting flogged week after week over the next few years won't be good for business..GC & GWS had a couple of tough years, but we all knew their destiny was assured due to pre draft concessions & the top draft picks over multiple years..Common sense says an end of first rd pick this year is justified..
Correct, we are a basket case off the field as I have been peddling for 18 months, the AFL need to look after their heartland or the next TV rights deal will be a flop.
Crowds are down an average of 5,000 this year, pre World Cup hype, how many kids will take up soccer in the backend of the year?
I'd be happy to also give Brissy a pick, so we share the first 4 picks, they need massive help on and off the field also.

Personally I hope we don't get a priority pick this year. Best case scenario it would be end of first round. Whereas if we had another year of only winning 3 or so games and finishing on the bottom, then we may get a pick directly after our first (2). Also next years draft looks better at the top end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane loss was the turning point for me. Eli going out. Hickey being underdone and reinjuring, resulting in Longer having to come in before he's really ready. Losing after the high of the Essendon game, and with all the hope and expectation of being in New Zealand. Brisbane were down the bottom. We win that game, it's the Lions playing catch up with us for the rest of the year while they sit at the bottom.

Five measely points, and we win it. The entire season changes.

Agree, had a funny feeling after that match that the experience of losing that match would lead to worse days. It was such a disappointing deflating loss, even though on paper and in hindsight (compared to the weekend against Carlton or the Hawthorn game for example) it wasn't so bad. But that night against Brisbane just had the feeling of the start of something bad to come and it has unfortunately developed that way.

A priority pick which would yield us picks 1 & 2 will go along way to help our development. McCartin and Petracca along with Billings, Dunstan & Acres is a great core group of players that others can be added to (Webster, Ross, Newnes, Wright, White, etc).

I can't remember us being this poor since the deep dark days of the 80's, (I was living overseas during the last time we had to rebuild our list in the early noughties). We need some help to get us back to playing some kind of competitive football. If that means a priority pick this year at the start and then an end of round one pick next year so be it.

We're not like Melbourne who had a gazillion early draft picks already. We haven't tanked. We are just at the bottom of a cycle but have fallen hard due to poor recruiting (arguably from 2003-2010). If we get a hand up now in about 2 years we'll be moving up the ladder due to our current youth moving into the 50-100 game bracket and being able to impact games.

A priority pick which would yield us picks 1 & 2 will go along way to help our development. McCartin and Petracca along with Billings, Dunstan & Acres is a great core group of players that others can be added to (Webster, Ross, Newnes, Wright, White, etc).

I can't remember us being this poor since the deep dark days of the 80's, (I was living overseas during the last time we had to rebuild our list in the early noughties). We need some help to get us back to playing some kind of competitive football. If that means a priority pick this year at the start and then an end of round one pick next year so be it.

We're not like Melbourne who had a gazillion early draft picks already. We haven't tanked. We are just at the bottom of a cycle but have fallen hard due to poor recruiting (arguably from 2003-2010). If we get a hand up now in about 2 years we'll be moving up the ladder due to our current youth moving into the 50-100 game bracket and being able to impact games.

At least the AFL will know that we spend them wisely, unlike Melbourne...;)

Actually not true. Last year was tipped to be quite a weak draft, with a standout pick 1

Not by many posters it wasn't on our megathread. It is human nature, happens every year and will continue to happen (of course it may not have a basis in reality, in that I agree with what you are saying that some experts could see what the draft would become, but that wasn't my point if you know what I mean).

I thought there was a requirement to be crap for three years to get a priority pick?

It's completely upto the AFL's discretion these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back