Curtain-raisers...more please

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
We know that Geelong has regularly held curtain-raisers to games at Kardinia Park, but, I do think they should happen more often.

Perhaps this news today is a pointer of things to come:

As a curtain-raiser to Essendon v Geelong in Round 10, the respective VFL sides will play that afternoon, at Etihad Stadium, starting at 3.25pm (Saturday June 6).

Curtain raisers are fine, as long as they involve AFL Reserves Vs AFL Reserves, and don't affect the stand alone sides. The last time that happened, the supporters of the VFL side are treated rather shabbily.

I enjoy watching the under 20s in the NRL, and I certainly notice when the development league games aren't on at VFL level, it leaves a bit of a hole.

I don't think it would be a hard sell, and may even help to reintroduce the reserves full time, leaving the VFL as a mid age pathway between the TAC Cup and AFL.

We know that Geelong has regularly held curtain-raisers to games at Kardinia Park, but, I do think they should happen more often.

Haven't got any curtain-raisers at Simonds Stadium this year.
They did want the VFL game in July between Geelong & Footscray to be be played after the AFL game as the AFL game is a saturday 1.45pm start,but instead that VFL game will now being played at the same ground the next day :rolleyes:

The grounds don't want too many games played there.

KP is 'easy' because they don't get many games, but the MCG/Etihad are much tougher to schedule additional games at.

Richmond plays some 'curtain raisers' at Punt Road, but getting them on the main ground is another matter.

3:25 is a pretty early curtain raiser start for a 7:20 match.
Well and truly over before anyone gets there haha

Nope, keep reserves on seperate days, they are a great cheap relaxing family day out.

Why take that away for the couple of hundred max who will go early enough to watch before a game.

Footy already a 5+ hour trip, who wants to sit in seats for 7-8 hours ?

That's because the AFL dictators say the there has to be an hours gap between games so the AFL players can have their warm up on the ground before going back into the rooms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps this news today is a pointer of things to come:

As a curtain-raiser to Essendon v Geelong in Round 10, the respective VFL sides will play that afternoon, at Etihad Stadium, starting at 3.25pm (Saturday June 6).
They are good but at some grounds it just isn't practical. Regular curtain raisers at Etihad would destroy the turf.

That's partly why I couldn't give a s**t about curtain raisers. You'd need to get there 2 hours before the game just to catch the last quarter.

I'd rather be at the pub watching another AFL game on TV.

That's partly why I couldn't give a s**t about curtain raisers. You'd need to get there 2 hours before the game just to catch the last quarter.

I'd rather be at the pub watching another AFL game on TV.
Are you in WA or elsewhere? I figure grounds with mainly ticketed seating would see less early arrivals than in Melbourne where a lot of fans are walk ups to either members reserves or general admission areas.

That said it's a valid point and whilst they might get more curtain raisers on they certainly won't ever allow them to finish close to the start of AFL games. That will never happen these days.

In Melbourne the AFL clubs should be working with the VFL to get games before hand when convenient even if they aren't at the same ground. I think there would be plenty of dogs fans keen to watch reserves at Whitten oval before going to Etihad. I watched a half of Coll v Casey Scorps (Melbourne reserves) practice match at Olympic Park before our round 1 game then strolled across to the G. It was great.

New to the game I take it?

I'm going old-school here...I grew up getting to the footy 2 hours before the main game and watching the reserves play. So did many others. And this was still going on in the 1990's!

I miss the good ol' days of getting to the MCG at 10:30am for an 11am reserves start. Finished by 1:30 and then a traditional 2:10pm start for the seniors.

I also miss paying $6 for a pie, chips and coke.

Nope, keep reserves on seperate days, they are a great cheap relaxing family day out.

Why take that away for the couple of hundred max who will go early enough to watch before a game.

Footy already a 5+ hour trip, who wants to sit in seats for 7-8 hours ?

The problem that's happening now is that rather than them playing on separate days, too often the VFL team is on at the same time as the AFL teams match. Both the Northern Blues matches this season have clashed with Carlton and it happens at least another three times this season from my quick glance at the fixture. I know I will enjoy getting the opportunity at least to watch both VFL and AFL live on the one weekend.

Think about this weekend - you could have had this:

Northern Blues v Collingwood at 4.30pm (heck the MCG used to open that early for Friday night games..and not the 5.30pm that they do now)
Werribee/North Ballarat v Box Hill
Sandringham v Essendon
Richmond v Geelong at the same time as the game that Punt Rd will have it.

Great way to showcase the VFL teams to captive audiences.

I think it should only happen with stand alone sides, so Adelaide vs Port Adelaide, any combination of Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney and any combination of Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond and Footscray. Sandringham, Northern Blues, Werribee, North Ballarat etc. are their own clubs and shouldn't have to do everything their AFL clubs want them to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back