Cutler, 2016 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have a sneaking suspicion that Cuts maybe a far more important player to our success than many of us thought a couple of years back.
His development should put paid to the often heard line that we can't develop and get the best out of players.
He's not there yet but his game has lifted quickly with confidence so here's hoping he keeps growing!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Always liked Cutler, been one of my favourite players to watch. I actually rate his disposal, l know some people and media articles say it is dodgy but i have seen him hit targets and he can kick it over 50 m and snag a goal a game. Very quick and can break the lines like Hanley.
Yeah it's not been disposal that has been the problem but choice of disposal. Always kicks well but just sometimes to the wrong option

Yeah it's not been disposal that has been the problem but choice of disposal. Always kicks well but just sometimes to the wrong option

I think he has the occasional horrible shank per game, but imo if he gives up 1 goal a game because of it and secures us 3, I can live with that.

Cuts has the speed, strength and ability to be a very damaging player.

Personally, I'd prefer Cutler and C. Beams as our HBF players. I really rated Beams off the HBF last season. I watched the replay of our first win against Carlscum and he competed so well in the air and was damaging when he had the ball.

Send Mayes to HFF on that note :p

If Cutler can play well on elite small forwards, then it will be a huge factor in him securing senior selection on a regular basis.
He could end up wing , midfield. ..who knows. ....the young guys onthe list have great possibilities.

What options .....this year hopefully he has some!

I wasn't really high on him last year but there was definitely elements of Hanley around him at times... I think he really needs a Hanley-like "head down, try to perfect his playing" attitude to keep improving.

Remember his first game, when he got the ball, things looked to slow down around him. Knew from that day on he would be a very good player for us. Needs to tidy up his disposal a bit but once he does he will be a very important player for us going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn't reproduce his first quarter against West Coast (2015) ever again we'll all be happy

I remember that quarter.

You have to admire the kid though, he kept on taking the game on by switching the play, choosing the longer running option rather than the same safe kick down the line.

He kept making mistakes but he didn't go into his shell, he went back out there and chose the hard option by foot and hand again. He eventually got it right and set up the play to a couple of goals.

This is exactly what Leppa wants and he will remain in the side if he keeps it up.

I remember that quarter.

You have to admire the kid though, he kept on taking the game on by switching the play, choosing the longer running option rather than the same safe kick down the line.

He kept making mistakes but he didn't go into his shell, he went back out there and chose the hard option by foot and hand again. He eventually got it right and set up the play to a couple of goals.

This is exactly what Leppa wants and he will remain in the side if he keeps it up.

Agree 100%. He played really well in the following quarters.

Can't wait to see how he goes this year.

I remember that quarter.

This, this, this. I remember commenting that he wasn't ready for seniors during the first quarter then retracting that comment within a half hour. Indicates an enormous maturity (or perhaps an extreme lack of self awareness but I don't think so) to to ignore a few mistakes, stay steadfast with your role and emerge as one of the best on field as such a young man. He has the skill-set and athleticism, he has the mental strength, he just needs experience to iron out a few flaws. Like.

IMO it is not Lester's athletic ability that is holding him back. His skills and positioning are.

Right now i think it is Cutler's skills that aren't a were you'd like them to be. Certainly not writing him off yet!

I've always been of the same thinking. Despite having an ungainly running style I don't think he's slow, he's got decent endurance outside game situations and the man can definitely jump. If he were able to read the game like Rocky he'd be a top tier midfielder, I hope he can at least improve his ability to move to the right spots post-clearance because as a mid/forward he could be very valuable.

Believe it or not, I happened to make conversation with someone at work tonight who claimed that their son is best mates with Cutler.

My first question was, "will he stick around", they sort of gave me a knowing look and said, well hes a Melbourne boy.

They then proceeded to praise the lions for their player welfare system and said he was really enjoying it.

Take that as you wish but I hope he is staying, especially if we become more successful on field in the coming years.

Cutler's issue isn't his skills, like with a lot of young players, it's his consistency. It's his third year, should be a breakout for him because he is the whole package if he can close the gap between his best and worst in the same game.

Cutler's issue isn't his skills, like with a lot of young players, it's his consistency. It's his third year, should be a breakout for him because he is the whole package if he can close the gap between his best and worst in the same game.
Cutlers consistency can hardly be an issue til he's played 50 games or so and given us a measure. ..give the kids a break. Most of that group came into a terrible and disrupted team. They deserve support for sticking it out...Lots didn't, and just about all have huge upside. Guys like Cutler, Gardiner,Taylor, McStay and Robertson are deserving of support, both for their loyalty and talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back