Cutler, 2016 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutlers consistency can hardly be an issue til he's played 50 games or so and given us a measure. ..give the kids a break. Most of that group came into a terrible and disrupted team. They deserve support for sticking it out...Lots didn't, and just about all have huge upside. Guys like Cutler, Gardiner,Taylor, McStay and Robertson are deserving of support, both for their loyalty and talent.
This is a great insight into how you build culture and a loyalty. We now must build and trust this group with minor strategic list development. We have the basic ingredients to be very very good for a long time. Get our coaching right and development programs perfected. THat includes a TRAINING FACILITY AND BASE. Watch us grow!

If Cutler can play well on elite small forwards, then it will be a huge factor in him securing senior selection on a regular basis.
That's a big call for a guy who is 6 3". Harzy or C Beams should be getting the shut down roll on the smalls Cutler should be taking guys like Breust or stretching to a guy like Stringer, but the real smalls there is no way he could be that agile.

That's a big call for a guy who is 6 3". Harzy or C Beams should be getting the shut down roll on the smalls Cutler should be taking guys like Breust or stretching to a guy like Stringer, but the real smalls there is no way he could be that agile.
I guess we used Patfull in that role with varying levels of success. In his last couple of years with us, Patfull regularly played on the likes of Betts, Thomas etc.

Some of the better small forwards are effectively like mini full forwards. They often win contests in the air against similarly sized defenders. If you play a taller option on them, what you lose on the ground, you potentially gain in neutralising or winning aerial contests.

Aside from Patfull, guys like Stratton and Morris also play on small forwards as required despite being a fair bit taller.

I guess we used Patfull in that role with varying levels of success. In his last couple of years with us, Patfull regularly played on the likes of Betts, Thomas etc.

Some of the better small forwards are effectively like mini full forwards. They often win contests in the air against similarly sized defenders. If you play a taller option on them, what you lose on the ground, you potentially gain in neutralising or winning aerial contests.

Aside from Patfull, guys like Stratton and Morris also play on small forwards as required despite being a fair bit taller.
Patfull developed into that role over time, but should he really have been on a Betts or was he OUR best option. We need to develop a classy small defender that we have not had since Johnson retired. Cutler is also a bit bigger than Patfull and not as agile. Nor does he read the ball coming in as well as Patfull does. I see Cutler more playing that mid sized defender who can also play third tall rather than going smaller.

Patfull developed into that role over time, but should he really have been on a Betts or was he OUR best option. We need to develop a classy small defender that we have not had since Johnson retired. Cutler is also a bit bigger than Patfull and not as agile. Nor does he read the ball coming in as well as Patfull does. I see Cutler more playing that mid sized defender who can also play third tall rather than going smaller.
I see Cutler as a small 192cm so pretty much have the opposite view.

If it is good enough for the premiers not to have a dedicated lock down small defender and instead rely on a midrange type, then we shouldn't close our mind to the idea.

In the absence of an automatic selection as a small defender, then we probably need to look around to manufacture a solution. Harwood hasn't played in a lock down role too many times and Beams has barely played at all. Neither would appear to be automatic senior selections just yet. Further, I'm not sure either is a clear better option to play on the top notch small forwards.

The most likely "true" small defender on the list is probably McGrath but he may or may not be in the best 22.

I hadn't really considered Cutler in that small defender role until the recent article where he talked about playing on Betts and enjoying the challenge. I've got a pretty open mind about it and, as I said in the post you quoted, IF he can play on small forwards, it adds a string to his bow when it comes to senior selection.

In short, if the premiers do it, if we've done it in the past with similar sized players, if we've got no clear alternative and if Cutler himself has done it and expressed a willingness to do it again, can we really be dismissive of the concept?

I see Cutler as a small 192cm so pretty much have the opposite view.

If it is good enough for the premiers not to have a dedicated lock down small defender and instead rely on a midrange type, then we shouldn't close our mind to the idea.

In the absence of an automatic selection as a small defender, then we probably need to look around to manufacture a solution. Harwood hasn't played in a lock down role too many times and Beams has barely played at all. Neither would appear to be automatic senior selections just yet. Further, I'm not sure either is a clear better option to play on the top notch small forwards.

The most likely "true" small defender on the list is probably McGrath but he may or may not be in the best 22.

I hadn't really considered Cutler in that small defender role until the recent article where he talked about playing on Betts and enjoying the challenge. I've got a pretty open mind about it and, as I said in the post you quoted, IF he can play on small forwards, it adds a string to his bow when it comes to senior selection.

In short, if the premiers do it, if we've done it in the past with similar sized players, if we've got no clear alternative and if Cutler himself has done it and expressed a willingness to do it again, can we really be dismissive of the concept?
Agree on Harwood and Beams, if Beams can get on the park right at this point in time he would be the best option given his skill set and maturity.
Big IF though because Beams just cant seem to get his body right.

Agree too on McGrath he is probably not best 22 right at this point in time, but I like the way he plays and I think long term this would be his role. I would even say by the end of this year this could be his role, he played for Vic from under 12's right through, kid can play.

I wont read too much into what Cutler is saying because I feel in his mind he is going "OK I can replace Patfull and get a game and he could do this, this and this". It is almost like what people say in a job interview, what they think you want to hear to get the job. I dont think he is suited to that role for the reasons I have outlined, but I agree if he can do it he becomes valuable. I just dont think he can do it or should be asked to play that role.

I said at the start of last season the big improvement in this side is in Cutler, Robertson and McStay and I still feel that but they need to be played in roles that suit their skill sets.

Made a name for himself on smalls or talls at the Oakleigh Chargers....IMO thought his pace and ability to actually hit targets by foot was the perfect replacement for Yeo.

Made a name for himself on smalls or talls at the Oakleigh Chargers....IMO thought his pace and ability to actually hit targets by foot was the perfect replacement for Yeo.
Regarding Cutler and McGrath, it helps when people have actually followed them over time. I think the comments related to their TAC seasons are spot on .McGrath was regarded as a player who could turn matches. Think it will also help if Green wakes up and finds hes in a contest.

I think if we were looking for that sort of player, Gardiner would be more likely to be able to fill that role than anyone else on our list. I see Cutler primarily as a rebounder who can do a reasonable job on smalls and may push further up the ground in the future if everything goes well.

I think if we were looking for that sort of player, Gardiner would be more likely to be able to fill that role than anyone else on our list. I see Cutler primarily as a rebounder who can do a reasonable job on smalls and may push further up the ground in the future if everything goes well.
yeah Cutler reminds me more of Andrew Mackie from a rebounding perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back