Cuved's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

cuved9

Draftee
Oct 31, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
First time I have gone live with my phantom draft. Have my own thoughts on some club needs.

1. St Kilda - Paddy McCartin
Reason: Going against the grain but a replacement key forward is high priority. McCartin is the best forward in this draft.
In the Mix: Petracca

2. Melbourne - Christian Petracca
Reason: Would be expecting to read out McCartin here but delighted with Petracca. Will compliment a weak midfield and has ability to go forward.
In the Mix: McCartin, Brayshaw

3. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
Reason: Well documented Melbourne's love of him. Hard mid which Roos will love and like Petracca adds depth to Melbourne's midfield.
In the Mix: McCartin, Petracca

4. GWS - Jarrod Pickett
Reason: This is the pick that shapes the next 6 picks. GWS keen to add pace to its side but knows it needs to get in early in case Collingwood pounce.
In the Mix: De Goey, Levarde, Wright

5. Collingwood - Jayden Leverde
Reason: Have been linked to him for a long time. Tall classy midfielder who will add some pace to the Collingwood engine room.
In the Mix: Pickett, De Goey, Langford

6. GWS - Peter Wright
Reason: Again going against the grain here but there is a reason he was touted so highly all year. With the loss of Patten, Boyd and Giles they need to replenish the tall stocks. A like for like swap for Boyd.
In the Mix: Lever, Goddard, Durdin

7. GWS - Jake Lever
Reason: Injury has clouded how good he could be in 2014 but on 2013 form could have been top 2. Key defenders a weakness of GWS which he will slot in nicely too
In the Mix: Goddard, Wright, Durdin

8. Gold Coast - Jordan De Goey
Reason: The hardest team to read in the first 8. Have gone on the theory of next best. De Goey is certainly this with his ability to hit the scoreboard.
In the Mix: Langford, Wright, Duggan

9. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
Reason: Father Son
In the Mix: N/A

10. Geelong - Nakia Cockatoo
Reason: A Wells specialty here with the Cats taking a risk. He has the ability to be a star from the little seen of him. A tall inside / outside midfielder with pace exactly what is now missing at Geelong. If Lever slips Cats could pounce.
In the Mix: De Goey, Weller, Lever

11. West Coast - Lachie Weller
Reason: Well documented WC wanting to add depth to its midfield which Weller will do. Ultimate professional with class. Local boy Blakely right in the mix also.
In the Mix: Cockatoo, Blakely, Duggan

12. Richmond - Liam Duggan
Reason: A great user of the ball must be something the Tigers address which Duggan is. Similar mould to previous draftees will start on HB and move into midfield. Wouldn't be surprised if they went tall either especially if Wright slips.
In the Mix: Ellis, Ahern, Wright,

13. Fremantle - Hugh Goddard.
Reason: It's well known how much Freo need key defenders. Goddard offers this. Touted as a swing man he struggled forward this year and IMO will be a defender. Big decision between Goddard & Durdin
In the Mix: Durdin, Marchbank, Blakely

14. Adelaide - Braydon Maynard
Reason: Adelaide love this kid to the point that they gave up pick 10 knowing he'd still be there at 14. Unlucky to miss father son, Crows will still get their man.
In the Mix: Durdin, Goddard, McKenzie

15. Gold Coast - Kyle Langford
Reason: GC seriously keen on the bolter of the draft. He could easily be picked at pick 8. I see the Gold Coast taking a risk here if they don't get their man. Lamb could be a roughy here.
In the Mix: Durdin, Ahern, Lamb

16. North Melbourne - Sam Durdin
Reason: North has an ageing defence and restocking this is important in this draft. Durdin will be too good to pass on here. Wouldn't be surprised though if a midfielder was also selected here though.
In the Mix: Blakely, Ahern, Gartlett

17. Essendon - Connor Blakely
Reason: Starred in the a National championships and WAFL this year rising his stocks. No fuss hard inside midfielder will add to the Dons. Ahern massive chance here.
In the Mix: Ahern, Gartlett, McKenzie

18. Sydney - Isaac Heeney
Reason: Academy Pick
In the Mix: N/A

19. Carlton - Paul Ahern
Reason: A goal kicking midfielder to add depth to Carltons stock. Rated highly but may slip to be a steal for Blues.
In the Mix: Blakely, Marchbank, Ellis

20. Essendon - Tom Lamb
Reason: Bombers have struggled to find ways to hit the scoreboard consistently and will take a risk on an exciting third tall. Could be anything but lacks consistency to date.
In the Mix: Marchbank, R McKenzie, Ellis

21. St Kilda - Daniel McKenzie
Reason: A classy half back who rebounds and uses the footy well. This pick possibly a next best player pick but McKenzies stocks have risen
In the Mix: Ellis, Smith, Gartlett

Last edited:

Nice Phantom mate, I'd like to see your second round. Have to agree with the last two comments though, I would hit the roof if Adelaide picked Maynard @ 14!

Nice Phantom mate, I'd like to see your second round. Have to agree with the last two comments though, I would hit the roof if Adelaide picked Maynard @ 14!
Will have a crack at a second round tonight. Heard from reliable sources accommodation already sorted for Maynard that's how much Crows rate him.

Will have a crack at a second round tonight. Heard from reliable sources accommodation already sorted for Maynard that's how much Crows rate him.
I actually didn't mind his highlight package - looked a poor man's Luke Hodge. Big questions on endurance although that can be cured I guess.

Won't be thrilled but will back our recruiters in who have a pretty decent record.

Also some talk we may take Langford if available

Remove this Banner Ad

Back