Cyclist legally allowed to run red lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Because cars fundamentally function completely different to bicycles....

Traffic lights and stop signs were implemented to deal with 900kg machines that can travel up to 60, 80, 100 km/h - these machines kill hundreds of people a year, and it used to be higher.

Bicycles weigh about 15 kg and would average 30 km/h, slower if you got head wind / incline to deal with.

but we treat these two exactly the same when it comes to traffic laws... makes sense, yeah?

Also the argument against bike rego is stupid. "It costs more to drive a car on roads". Why do I have to rego two cars then? I'm not driving both at the same time. The roads aren't being used twice as much cause I have two cars.

Because cars fundamentally function completely different to bicycles....
And on my motorbike then? It's 100x safer for me to be in front of traffic or even away from it. Can I just roll on through?

Also the argument against bike rego is stupid. "It costs more to drive a car on roads". Why do I have to rego two cars then? I'm not driving both at the same time. The roads aren't being used twice as much cause I have two cars.

Your rego covers insurance. Hardly any of your registration would go to maintaining roads

And on my motorbike then? It's 100x safer for me to be in front of traffic or even away from it. Can I just roll on through?

That's a non-sequitor. A bicyle and a motorcycle have two wheels, that's where the similarities end. Motorbikes are much more similar to cars in their weight and their top speed

So rego covers insurance..... Who compensates the cyclists when they get injured on the road?
Drivers cause it's always our fault

You guys are just whinging now -

Just because you make decisions that costs you more money, because you're lazy, doesn't equal a credible argument to why bicycles should have to pay registration.....

You guys are just whinging now -

Just because you make decisions that costs you more money, because you're lazy, doesn't equal a credible argument to why bicycles should have to pay registration.....
Lol I walk or ride the 10k to work ever day.

But why can't you answer my question instead of telling me I'm lazy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its dangerous at lights for a cyclist. Most of the cars are unaware of you until the last few meters as the cars in front block their view. Sometimes you get passed by 30- 40 cars withing 30 meters, when your struggling to maintain balance accelerating the bike and maintaining a line as close to kerb as you can. You also get any public bus coming withing milliliters, as they, like you, stick to the left lane.

If we can address the stigmatization and make the road more friendly for cyclists, we will cut down on traffic jams, on the cost of rego, the cost of fuel, the expense maintaining our roads. while getting people fitter and healthier, directly combating the diabetes epidemic hitting. Healther, fitter people are happier, go to docs less, miss work less, make better decisions. But mainly nothing like a tight arse on a chick in yoga pants from riding a bike, to make us feel better about ourselfs.

As this thread shows, the world is full of ignorant dickheads.

Ahhhh what. Why? For what reason? Because you have to drive a car and spend a lot of money to keep it going? What a bizarre thing to say, born mostly out of frustration and jealousy, I'm guessing

Jealousy? I can understand the frustration part. But jealousy?

Really?

I think bikes should pay registration because they share the road with cars/trucks/motorbikes. Simple as that. As for the "pedestrians use roads" argument that is just taking the piss. Even if they had to pay $5 more at the bike shop when they bought a bicycle that could be used to help maintain roads I'd be happy with.

You can't tell me a guy decked out in lycra with a bike worth $1000+ could not afford it.

Jealousy? I can understand the frustration part. But jealousy?

Really?

I think bikes should pay registration because they share the road with cars/trucks/motorbikes. Simple as that. As for the "pedestrians use roads" argument that is just taking the piss. Even if they had to pay $5 more at the bike shop when they bought a bicycle that could be used to help maintain roads I'd be happy with.

You can't tell me a guy decked out in lycra with a bike worth $1000+ could not afford it.

Car registration mostly goes to insurance -

Also, there are plenty of us who ride bicycles on the road everyday who do not wear lycra

Ahh and TAC just have an endless splash of cash?

I'm making an assumption based on from when I worked at a doctors surgery and every idiot who got hurt that was somehow related to the road was put onto TAC -

A women fell from a tram when she was alighting (an older lady) and that got put on bloody TAC -

I'm making an assumption based on from when I worked at a doctors surgery and every idiot who got hurt that was somehow related to the road was put onto TAC -

A women fell from a tram when she was alighting (an older lady) and that got put on bloody TAC -
I'm presuming the tram operators pay rego (or their version of it) but bikes don't?

Yet you're telling me despite not contributing to the service a bike rider gets compensated by it? And that is perfectly acceptable?

Its dangerous at lights for a cyclist. Most of the cars are unaware of you until the last few meters as the cars in front block their view. Sometimes you get passed by 30- 40 cars withing 30 meters, when your struggling to maintain balance accelerating the bike and maintaining a line as close to kerb as you can. You also get any public bus coming withing milliliters, as they, like you, stick to the left lane.

If we can address the stigmatization and make the road more friendly for cyclists, we will cut down on traffic jams, on the cost of rego, the cost of fuel, the expense maintaining our roads. while getting people fitter and healthier, directly combating the diabetes epidemic hitting. Healther, fitter people are happier, go to docs less, miss work less, make better decisions. But mainly nothing like a tight arse on a chick in yoga pants from riding a bike, to make us feel better about ourselfs.

As this thread shows, the world is full of ignorant dickheads.

If you are struggling to maintain your balance you need to gtf off the road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back