Cyril Hamstrung? He's ready to go for Box Hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbo and Smith were both a bit reserved when asked about Rioli today. I'm not convinced the club reckons he is ready.

Gibbo and Smith were both a bit reserved when asked about Rioli today. I'm not convinced the club reckons he is ready.

Or they're using a perfect opportunity to leave Port guessing.

totally agree. need some match fitness under the belt before the gf

Do you think we have the luxury of giving him this game to get match fit?
I'm still not convinced. I wouldn't play him this week if the fitness staff couldn't guarantee me that he will be right to go in the grannie. No use having a blinder this week and being stuffed the next week, if we make it, which we should.
If the guarantee can be given then play him. If we are well in front at 3/4 time look for one of the most relaxed last quarters from rioli.
That was the problem in 2012. He had dodgy hammies, but had to play full on in the last quarter to get us over the line against Adelaide. In the swans grannie he was stuffed. No use having a repeat of that.

If he doesn't play Saturday night and we win then expect him to make his VFL debut in the VFL GF on Sunday at Etihad. That will probably end up in that game drawing a larger crowd than the Friday night PF.

Based on what Clarko is saying right now...need to get through another training session on Thursday etc...hasn't played a lot of footy...I don't think he'll play :(
They pushed Lewis for an answer on 360 earlier. Feeling I got from what he said is that he'll participate in training on Thursday and be given the fitness test. Subject to successfully completing that he'll be named on Thursday night. But depending on how he pulls up Friday and Saturday morning he could end up being a late withdrawal.

Essentially he's right on track. Just needs to tick all the boxes and pull up alright before the game starts.

Cyril will either play Saturday or in the VFL Grand Final on Sunday. If he does play Saturday, expect him to spend some time in the middle. If he's replacing an onballer, he ain't just sitting in the forward 50 all day, believe it! He'll be expected to do his normal rotation on the ball. If he's selected, then he'll be deemed fit enough to do so, otherwise it's off to play in a Grand Final, believe it or not (that could only happen with Cyril).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just being conservative with what they are saying publicly I reckon. They're as unsure as everyone on how he gets through at week's end.

Cyril either plays PF or nothing. Can't see why he would play BH tbh? IMO, we can almost forget the 'brilliant one' for one more week and if we get through then Cyril will throw the kitchen sink into the GF! He said himself " I have nothing to lose" trust me fellow Hawks if we make it through to the Granny then get prepared to be Cizzled!

If Cyril is fit he plays on Saturday against Port Adelaide. If he doesn't play Saturday he is not fit to play so why would you then play him in the magoos ?

Question of match fitness - Cyril is a brilliant player but this is a Preliminary Final. You don't muck around with players with so much on the line. It'll depend on how confident Clarko is in Sizzle's hammies...

Cyril will certainly be named Thursday night, unless there is a visible set back at Thursdays training session. Even if he has a minor setback Thursday, he will be named and pulled out late.

If he gets through training we will name him to ensure that he is available for us to play him, should he happen to pull up well on Friday and Saturday. If he gets through training but doesn't pull up well then we will leave it to the last minute to pull him from the team sheet.

Cyril, the player that is likely to replace him if he pulls out and the coaches will be the only ones that know if he will play until about 40 minutes before the bounce and that's the way it should be.

Question of match fitness - Cyril is a brilliant player but this is a Preliminary Final. You don't muck around with players with so much on the line. It'll depend on how confident Clarko is in Sizzle's hammies...
Yeah but I am not sure they would risk it in a VFL GF either, for exactly the same reasons.

Yeah but I am not sure they would risk it in a VFL GF either, for exactly the same reasons.

Not quite the same thing, though those who closely follow the VFL may disagree. AFL Prelim > VFL Grand. Besides, the slightly lower match intensity (even though it's a Grannie) would actually assist in Cyril regaining match conditioning, I feel.

Last edited:
I'll give my 2 cents...
Don't think Cyril will play if we are using him as a sub. My gut feeling is Clarko will only consider him in the team if he's fully fit for the whole match. If Cyril's hammy is about to TWANG I don't see Clarko risking the game or junior. Unfortunately I think he will be in for Sewell or Spanger if he's in given the match ups.

And I don't think if he's not playing for the Hawks that he will get a gig at the GF for Boxhill...
Can a player like Cyril's caliber get straight back into a VFL GF? I don't know the rules but I don't think you can given they had to fight for Big Boy who played at least 5 games before the finals....:confused::confused::confused:

I'll give my 2 cents...
Don't think Cyril will play if we are using him as a sub. My gut feeling is Clarko will only consider him in the team if he's fully fit for the whole match. If Cyril's hammy is about to TWANG I don't see Clarko risking the game or junior. Unfortunately I think he will be in for Sewell or Spanger if he's in given the match ups.

And I don't think if he's not playing for the Hawks that he will get a gig at the GF for Boxhill...
Can a player like Cyril's caliber get straight back into a VFL GF? I don't know the rules but I don't think you can given they had to fight for Big Boy who played at least 5 games before the finals....:confused::confused::confused:
Can play BH due to the Hawks playing the PF, but only if Hawthorn win the prelim on Saturday. I don't think he will, unless it is for match fitness for the GF the week after as Agent Smith has pointed out elsewhere. I am still not convinced they would risk it then for either BH or Cyril. BH are shooting for B2B also.

I'll give my 2 cents...

It would be funny, for no other reason than just to see the Dogs fans melt....

I'll give my 2 cents...

Cyril won't play if they are using him as the sub . . . but if they are using him as the sub he is playing . . . but he won't play if they are using him as the sub . . . ALL LOGIC HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY THIS SENTENCE! :p:p:p

Regarding you his eligibility for the VFL grand final, if we win on Saturday Rioli can play VFL on the Sunday. If we lose he can only play with permission from the league (same goes for any unqualified player).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back