Cyril Rioli or Lewis Jetta

Remove this Banner Ad

And a courageous collision late in the game to tap the ball to Hannaberry for a goal in a pressure cooker situation, and the perfect pass to Jack in the 3rd quarter for a goal to Kennedy. Played his role for mine.

And a courageous collision late in the game to tap the ball to Hannaberry for a goal in a pressure cooker situation, and the perfect pass to Jack in the 3rd quarter for a goal to Kennedy. Played his role for mine.

Plus injured

In fairness, Guerra did a decent job on Jetta last time we met.

You're right about Smith though. He's soundly beaten pretty much every small-medium sized gun forward in the game over the past 3-4 years and yet most people probably don't even know who he is. Deserves more credit for his job on Rioli on the weekend.

Except Betts. For some reason he often seems to struggle against him.

That first Grand Final was far better in myth than it actually was in reality. 10 possessions and 2 goals is not a great game, no matter how much bodily fluid Bruce McAveney loses over it.

In fairness, you could say the exact same thing about Jetta's GF.

In fairness, you could say the exact same thing about Jetta's GF.

Exactly. I'd rank his game as very good first half, almost unsighted second half, but managed to pop up for a couple of critical involvements towards the end.

Rioli in 2008 I'd say as quiet game overall, but very good patch in third quarter with a couple of goals.

I have very little patience for the modern simplification of either great game or crap game. It's actually ok to be in the middle sometimes too. Unfortunately the fans and especially the media exaggerate absolutely everything to be the "greatest ever", so naturally players' performances get raised higher than they should too.

Riolis turning into the most hated player in the game. Poor bloke. He is a gun, but definitely overhyped by the media.

Rioli seems to be a nice chap, but most footy fans are sick of his tyres being pumped up so much by the media. We have the same problem with Nic Nat (top class person, from dealing with him), but geez the media have pumped his tyres up so much, prior to him getting to the "champion" level.

A "magic" player was Maurice Rioli, you'd get 4 quarters of brilliance out of him. Please do not call Cyril "magic" till he has earned it. He appears to be 1/4 of the way to earning that title.

Rioli seems to be a nice chap, but most footy fans are sick of his tyres being pumped up so much by the media. We have the same problem with Nic Nat (top class person, from dealing with him), but geez the media have pumped his tyres up so much, prior to him getting to the "champion" level.

A "magic" player was Maurice Rioli, you'd get 4 quarters of brilliance out of him. Please do not call Cyril "magic" till he has earned it. He appears to be 1/4 of the way to earning that title.

It's odd that people who are "so sick" of hearing about Rioli also seem to spend an inordinate amount of time discussing him

It's odd that people who are "so sick" of hearing about Rioli also seem to spend an inordinate amount of time discussing him

Fair call, i say just enjoy watching him, if you dont then ignore him simple as that

Sorry for me trying to give a rational reasoned comment on this matter.

Anyway Jetta is a Black Duck, so he will always be given the benefit of the doubt on any matter !!!!.

Neither had that good of a game. The Jetta and Cyril race was very even considering he had a 10m headstart on Cyril and Cyril had to dodge Goodes.
Rioli shown more over his career. So Rioli wins.
/thread

Jetta had to hold back a little untill the ball was in his hands, meanwhile cyril had already put the foot down and jetta still outran him while bouncing the footy.

Both please!

They are actually different types of player playing different roles. You'd back Rioli contesting a ball on the ground any day of the week and he is incredibly clever in traffic.

Jetta is far more of an outside player, and he's playing on a wing, rather than in the forward line. His long kicking has become very consistent and very accurate, and I think he might be a tad quicker than Rioli, though I think Rioli might be able to run him down over the first few steps if he was close enough to start with.

Post #10 above from June.

Thread probably should have ended with it.

Wowee, there has been some serious knee jerk reaction in this thread. Yeah it was a grand final but its still 1 game FFS. As has been mentioned, hawks probably not even in the GF if not for Rioli last week. His game was far better than anything Jetta has produced thus far in his career.

So, Rioli's best is still better than Jetta's, but Jetta is more consistent. Would still take Rioli, seeing as Jetta has only been playing at the level for 1 season. Would love either of them.

rioli basically cost hawks a flag

Yeah? Then he basically won them one in 2008.

The post-GF revival of this thread is stupid and all, but come on. Schoenmakers was NOT better than Richards. Richards was playing on Buddy Franklin and a few days earlier couldn't even walk. He had to get injections at each break and was clearly limping throughout the game. He still managed to force Buddy wide and up the ground, beat him outright in a number of contests, and spoil him in others.

Schoenmakers, on the other hand, was fit, and played on on Sam Reid.

So you'd cut Rioli the same slack seeing as he played on Smith, yes? Can't have it both ways.

spot on. rioli's 08 GF is remembered for 2 or 3 great efforts. he did not however play an outstanding game

Sounds like Jetta's 2012 GF to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd cut Rioli the same slack seeing as he played on Smith, yes? Can't have it both ways.

Absolutely, never said otherwise. Rioli was shut down by arguably the best small defender (defensively speaking) in the competition, but still had a few handy moments. Jetta had far more impact than Rioli, but was also allowed more freedom.

Basically, it's stupid to directly compare them, especially on the basis of their performances in one game, as they were playing different roles on different players. You can make an argument for comparing them over a season, especially in the context of an AA position or something like that, but it's silly to try to directly compare attributes and in-game performances, at least not without proper context.

Absolutely, never said otherwise. Rioli was shut down by arguably the best small defender (defensively speaking) in the competition, but still had a few handy moments. Jetta had far more impact than Rioli, but was also allowed more freedom.

Basically, it's stupid to directly compare them, especially on the basis of their performances in one game, as they were playing different roles on different players. You can make an argument for comparing them over a season, especially in the context of an AA position or something like that, but it's silly to try to directly compare attributes and in-game performances, at least not without proper context.

Exactly. It's like comparing Birchall and N.Smith

People just see them kick goals and have the same skin colour and assume that they play the same position

Rioli looks better if you make a comprehensive comparison between the two. Stuff like contested posessions, clearances, tackles, etc. Jetta probably ahead in the more eye-catching stuff, possessions, runs down the wing, and so forth. But a detailed analysis will show that Rioli is well ahead.

Rioli is the more consistent of the two. He wins more clearances, lays more tackles, and kicks more goals. Jetta comes up with more highlights such as the long runs down the wing.

How is Jetta's shin splints coming along?

Is he going to make it back in time for the finals or is there more to it than they are letting on?

Rioli is the more consistent of the two. He wins more clearances, lays more tackles, and kicks more goals. Jetta comes up with more highlights such as the long runs down the wing.

really. I would have thought riolis contenders for mark of the year and actual goal of the years winner where a few steps in fron of Jetta one or two runs.

Jetta is a one trick pony at this stage.

he was a first year small forward who impacted a grand final in a considerable way.

relative to his role, his 08 GF was outstanding.

Rioli was amazing in that GF.
I thought his game v NM early this year, ? hamstring day, was just brilliant. He and Thomas were outstanding Everything he did was out there; fast, goals, marking, tackling, smothering- I doubt Jetta supplies a package like that.
But I love Jetta's running, reminds me of Wojcinski.
Who cares who is better- they are different, both stunning at their best, both a little patchy.

One thing I do know, if I was Clarko, I would NOT want Cyril chasing down Jetta given his hamstring history. Just let him go; better still, block his supply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back