Cyril Rioli or Lewis Jetta

Remove this Banner Ad

I could very well say the same thing to you after Motlop struggled to get through the year and again pulled up short in the finals because of a knee related injury.

I though wasn't critical of motlop or his performance in the finals
Cats fans seem obsessed with nominating a player each year who is supposedly better than Cyril and yet continue to fall short - anybody would think Cyril writes and calls his own fluff pieces with the amount of crap he cops.

Rioli everyday of the week. Jetta's efforts in the granny were an utter disgrace, if I were Longmire I'd put him up as trade bait.

I though wasn't critical of motlop or his performance in the finals
Cats fans seem obsessed with nominating a player each year who is supposedly better than Cyril and yet continue to fall short - anybody would think Cyril writes and calls his own fluff pieces with the amount of crap he cops.
Not just cat fans.

It's a yearly event.

Cyril v Varcoe
Cyril v Bennell
Cyril v Motlop
Cyril v Jetta
Cyril v Wingard

All the while saying that Cyril is not that great/doesn't get enough kicks/ isn't the best small forward/ etc etc.

If he's not that great why so many comparisons to him?

You don't see people making comparisons with Steve Morris every 6 months.

We have Rioli. He's played in 3 premiership teams. We're extremely happy with him ..... and that is ALL that matters. He is able to command a regular spot in the very best team in the land, he would be one of the first picked. I think Clarko would be a better judge of a player's worth than nuff nuffs on BigFooty.

For the people who continuously criticize him, stop listening to commentators and start watching what he does and what he brings to the team. You embarrass yourselves.

It's a strange forum. Tons of people ready to heap praise on a bum like Karmichael Hunt, but there's tons of criticism for a champ like Rioli.

There's no doubt Rioli is a good player and I agree that what he does bring to the table is not always reflected in the stats. But the talk of being elite is a bit much. Regardless of his pressure contributions, surely an elite player gathers the ball more than 15 times a game and as a small forward, averages more than a goal a game.

To the question at hand. I would pick Rioli over yet, at least after Jetta's GF performance.

There's no doubt Rioli is a good player and I agree that what he does bring to the table is not always reflected in the stats. But the talk of being elite is a bit much. Regardless of his pressure contributions, surely an elite player gathers the ball more than 15 times a game and as a small forward, averages more than a goal a game.

No. As I said above, trying seeing what he actually does with those 15 touches and what he brings to the team in terms of forward line pressure. Ask Tippett, he get getting intercepted by Rioli. The last thing Hawthorn needs right now is another 30+ possession gatherer in the midfield, we've got plenty of those. I really don't know why it is so f***ing difficult for people to understand this.

Not just cat fans.

It's a yearly event.

Cyril v Varcoe
Cyril v Bennell
Cyril v Motlop
Cyril v Jetta
Cyril v Wingard

All the while saying that Cyril is not that great/doesn't get enough kicks/ isn't the best small forward/ etc etc.

If he's not that great why so many comparisons to him?

You don't see people making comparisons with Steve Morris every 6 months.

Classic case of 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'!o_O

No. As I said above, trying seeing what he actually does with those 15 touches and what he brings to the team in terms of forward line pressure. Ask Tippett, he get getting intercepted by Rioli. The last thing Hawthorn needs right now is another 30+ possession gatherer in the midfield, we've got plenty of those. I really don't know why it is so f***ing difficult for people to understand this.

As I said, sure he does a lot of good things without showing in the stats but to put him in the "elite" category, as many Hawks fans do, is ****ing laughable.

As I said, sure he does a lot of good things but to put him in the "elite" category, as many Hawks fans do, is ******* laughable.

Well then ,you'd better have a chat to champion Data in that case also, given he was easily the number one rated Hawk prior to being injured this year!

Lets see now, in 9th position overall at the time of getting injured across the league!.....Oh, & 3 Premierships in 7 Seasons to boot!:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how people use Premierships as a justification for how elite a player is. Is Robert Harvey any less of a player because he didn't win a Premiership? Is LRT elite because he has two Premiership medals?

Meanwhile you ignore the fact that he was the highest ranked Hawk player by champion data pre-injury....He is the most Elite player on our list by a street!
You know, in the Premiership Team!....Starting to dawn on you as yet????

But you said he was elite based on his games pre-injury this year.

He is elite period!....I merely stipulated to you his champion data ranking pre-injury, which had him at no:9 ahead of Mitchell at the time!....Just for your info!

The principal reason for the preponderance of these Cyril comparison threads emanates from the fact that Rioli doesn't rack up a load of possessions!....I highlighted the Champion Data rankings for you to highlight the fact that his 1%ers, ignored by most statistical measures, do in fact count every bit as much as possessions. His ratings ranking, based on performance statistics by the number one measuring stick in the land, lends the lie to such threads!

He is elite period!....I merely stipulated to you his champion data ranking pre-injury, which had him at no:9 ahead of Mitchell at the time!....Just for your info!

The principal reason for the preponderance of these Cyril comparison threads emanates from the fact that Rioli doesn't rack up a load of possessions!....I highlighted the Champion Data rankings for you to highlight the fact that his 1%ers, ignored by most statistical measures, do in fact count every bit as much as possessions. His ratings ranking, based on performance statistics by the number one measuring stick in the land, lends the lie to such threads!

No worries and happy to agree to disagree on Cyril's "elite" status.

Both useless as **** on a bull in the grand final. Rioli did a couple of basic things which provoked much fapping in the commentary box but what very ordinary, which is completely understandable after such a long lay off. My 91 year old grandmother could have spoiled Tippett's disposals, so I'm not giving much credit for the intercept from Kurty Kurt.

Jetta was dismal but I gather had been hit rather hard in the head.

Both useless as **** on a bull in the grand final. Rioli did a couple of basic things which provoked much fapping in the commentary box but what very ordinary, which is completely understandable after such a long lay off. My 91 year old grandmother could have spoiled Tippett's disposals, so I'm not giving much credit for the intercept from Kurty Kurt.

Jetta was dismal but I gather had been hit rather hard in the head.

when someone starts doing these 'basic things' as often and as well as Cyril, then your post might be worth something.
Fact is, the intercept and set up to Roughead and smother on KT on the wing were plays that not many players pull off.
You can call them basic coz they were, but sometimes the easiest things in the game are the hardest to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back