D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mods:- Please keep this thread as a mark of respect to Brent and his Family but also to those "fortunate" to read/follow Brent struggles and the class he shown to us all here on bigfooty. In football we praise and glorify feats on the footy field and we call those footballers "champions" but honestly you could actually be sitting next to one at the footy and in fact he/she may following and cheering the opposite side!!
Cheers Brent you've inspired me to have a look at myself and strive to always do better and I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of that.

R.I.P

Mods:- Please keep this thread as a mark of respect to Brent and his Family but also to those "fortunate" to read/follow Brent struggles and the class he shown to us all here on bigfooty. In football we praise and glorify feats on the footy field and we call those footballers "champions" but honestly you could actually be sitting next to one at the footy and in fact he/she may following and cheering the opposite side!!
Cheers Brent you've inspired me to have a look at myself and strive to always do better and I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of that.

R.I.P
This is a great message, and everyone would do well to remember that the person you may be abusing or intimidating at the football, may well be a Didaka, there to enjoy his football, while fighting his own personal battles.

We have different tribal allegiances, but for most of us, it is the excitement of the game, not the tribal hatred, that keeps us coming back.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a great message, and everyone would do well to remember that the person you may be abusing or intimidating at the football, may well be a Didaka, there to enjoy his football, while fighting his own personal battles.

We have different tribal allegiances, but for most of us, it is the excitement of the game, not the tribal hatred, that keeps us coming back.

That's a wonderful sentiment, ODN.

MushroomRocket

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Didaka will be remembered by Bigfooty posters for many years to come. Posters on the Collingwood board have shown real class supporting him through his hardship.

Hopefully the mods can make Didaka's page a permanent memorial :thumbsu:

Mar 30, 2005
in a house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
box hill
it is lovely looking through all the messages and how people from all walks of life let alone people who support different teams have paid their respects to this young fellow , well done , brought tears to my eyes .

i hope it does become a permanent post to this fellow as a reminder to all .

Reading through this thread again. And my inbox with messages from Didaka.

You wouldn't think one could be so shattered by the loss of someone that realistically I've had extremely little contact with (only a couple of private messages and a few minor chats on the forums.

It's just... I thought he was better, you know? I was away from BigFooty for several months, and came back to find out the horrible news and it was like a kick to the guts.

He was obviously the kind of guy who can have an immediate affect on people, in the best of ways.

I really hope his mum and girlfriend drop in every now and again.

Ive been putting off posting here for a little while as reading through the thread brought up a lot of memories for me of my cousin who i lost through cancer

However it would be remiss of me not to pay tribute to such a terrific person to have ever posted on this board and bigfooty alike

I always took time to read didaka's posts because of his knowledge of football and his devotion to the club that he loved so dearly

I would never wish the struggles he had to endure upon my worst enemy, nor the sorrow his family and friends face in the coming months and years

He was truly an inspirational man, didaka

To those who knew and loved Brent, i give my deepest sympathies and condolences.

Its unfair to lose the ones we love, but remembering them for who they are and the impact they had on us and what they mean to us is what keeps us strong and gives us the ability to honour their memory in the way which they wouldve wanted us to

R.I.P Didaka

Peter

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
Did not realise he was 24! I did not speak with him through BigFooty but wanted to post and express my sympathy towards a fellow footy fan. Cancer is such a horrible, horrible part of life that no one should be subjected to, especially at that age. Commiserations to his immediate, extended family, friends and those who know him well on BF. RIP didaka. :(

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
I finally took the time to read this entire thread today and I must say I am utterly gutted. I can only say that if there is a god he clearly screwed up in taking Brent from us. I find it hard now to put my insignificant life into some kind of perspective in the face of the courage and inspiration shown by a truly great young man. Long may we use his inspiration to put some perspective in our lives and in our dealings with others. Many of his words will stay with me for a very long time.

Had no concept, didn't know the username, certainly didn't know of didaka's battle, until eventually curiosity at all your signatures caused me to go looking.

Clearly an incredible bloke, amazing spirit, and stirring battle. Very emotional to read this thread.

Sincere sympathies to didaka's family and friends. Highest respect to didaka for his strength and front to fight and to report back. Respect also for all you folks who walked alongside him throughout this, your support and company must have meant so much to him.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
I've come here from the main board thread. It's ridiculous in a way, we don't know each other, but we do spend a lot of time on here talking, arguing and learning from other posters, so it is a loss to know someone we've come to recognise and respect has passed away - often, and certainly in this case, much too young.

Of course it's nothing to the loss his family and loved ones are living with, but I hope it does help a little to know how many lives your son, partner and friend has touched, in such a positive way.

Oct 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham FC, PHX Suns, MN Vikings
Hey Brent, just read your whole thread in it's entirety. You were an absolute inspiration. Your attitude was exemplary. Going through all the highs and lows that you experienced on your journey was at times excruciatingly painful, extremely philosophical but always refreshingly honest. Your humility and generosity has touched me. I'm not afraid to say I shed a tear for you, even though I never met you in person. To have someone be so candid about their struggle, thus encouraging others in the BF community to share their stories too was such a brave thing to do.

It pisses me off sometimes when you hear commentators describe certain acts as "inspirational", or describing Dustin Fletcher as "possessing the spirit of the ANZACs", or something along those lines. It is people like you are truly inspirational, and I can't commend you enough for transposing those virtues into a forum like this. You are an absolute legend mate.

Thank you to Debbie & Emma for taking the time to keep us on BF informed as well. My condolences and thoughts are with you during this tragic time. Such a quality man, at such a young age... It defies any sense of logic and fairness.

As I'm writing this, a flicker of a smile is creeping over my face, because I know that Didaka got to see his beloved Pies win the flag (like he promised that he would). I can take solace in this, and that makes the pain of my beloved Saints losing it slightly more tolerable. He'll be at the big stadium up there cheering on his team and looking over the Magpie Army from afar.

R.I.P forever mate. I just wish I could have met you, because I know you would have made me a better person too.

Nick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beth

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2004
Inside Alistair Clarkson's head
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chargers, Ducks
Ive been away on holidays for a few weeks and just came back to BF today to find this thread :( I've been following Didaka's battle and have been really inspired and impressed by his attitude.

Thanks for letting a bunch of strangers like me in on your journey Brent and my sympathies to Emma and all the family.

So glad you got your flag!

Richo75

Senior List
May 20, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA - Chicago Bulls
This thread brought a few tears on as I thought about how unfair life is for some!

Brent sure was a strong minded individual, I am glad he lived to see the Collingwood Premiership.

RIP Brent

I went back a ton of pages and read the post that said he had passed away. It genuinely brings a tear to your eye.

It really puts into perspective how petty things like football are in life. As most have said, if I had known more about Didaka's struggle, I would have been willing the Magpies on last year. Not as a Carlton supporter, simply as someone showing respect.

RIP Brent, far too soon.

PaulJen

Team Captain
Jan 11, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not sure how I missed this for as long as I did. I read most of the posts and have to say, shed a tear or two - the courage shown by Didaka was truly amazing and should be an inspiration for everyone, not only those fighting such an evil disease. He certainly put life into perspective and even though I never spoke with him or knew him personally, I would like to thank him. My deepest sympathy to his friends and loved ones.

Rest in Peace my special friend.

Paul

HotPies!

Debutant
Apr 30, 2006
St Kilda
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re: In Memory of Didaka

I've been sitting here for over 10 minutes staring at my screen, thinking of what to say. It's a struggle, and I didn't even know the guy. My son was born last week, Tuesday to be exact, and to think that while my family and I were celebrating the start of his life, another family was mourning the end of another, is just heart wrenching. Makes me feel somewhat guilty for enjoying the good things. It is a true tragedy, an unfair one, for a life to be taken at such a young age. I honestly want to cry, it's such a sad loss.

R.I.P. Brent
GO PIES

Go Go Gadget

Draftee
Mar 3, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re: In Memory of Didaka

At one stage during his recovery, when the forecast was quite sunny, he spoke here about his desire to become involved in motivational speaking in the future.
He also mused about other people he had met or heard about that were in similar situations to his own. It seemed like he took great interest in these stories, and often told us of the inspiration he took from them. Sometimes he told us about how they made him mad as hell.
The emotion, power, positivity and sheer effort that he put in to all of his posts here have to suggest that he knew that people were listening. And how could we not be touched?

aydo

Senior List
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
absolutely shattered to hear this. you put up a top fight mate, sometimes there is just nothing you can do. i know you're up there enjoying a frothy with #22 and watching endless repeats of heata's smother. <3

aydan

Mar 7, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton FC
Re: In memory of Didaka

**** me. Just read that thread.

I'm glad he got to see his team win a premiership before he passed.

My sympathy to his family and friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back