D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously , if your not going to play 1sts don't waste your time playing in the Development league

Seemed to work for Adam Saad.

Played 7 Development games as a 19 year old in 2013 (9 seniors, and only the last 6 as a consistent senior member).

Graduated to a full VFL season in 2014.

Rookie drafted to Gold Coast Suns, then elevated to their senior list in Feb. Played all first 6 rounds before tweaking a hammy. AFL Rising Star nominee in rd 5 and SuperCoach "money ball" player in 2015.

Think playing Development League footy at the start of his VFL career wasn't really a waste of time.

He was pretty driven to succeed though.

TIPS Rd7:

- Old Geelong to find out where they are at this season. Unfortunately for them, I think they will find themselves a yard off the competitions benchmark in the Monders. Ormond by 15.

- Prahran to stop pretending and finally get some points on the board against a hapless Yv. Prahran by 45.

- NOBS over BT by 21.

- SMS too good for Old Mentone, SMS by 33.

- Kew to remain undefeated with another convincing win over Whitefriars. Kew by 55.

Good to see 2 blokes from this grade making the under 23 VAFA initial squad of 57. Dustan Mills from OM's and Loui Holmes from SMS, any one know much about these guys? They have kicked 18 and 21 goals respectively this year in 6 games, so I'm tipping they are both forwards.

Tips round 7:
Old Geelong vs Ormond - Tipping an upset, should be a cracker of a game
Yarra Valley vs Prahran - PA easy
NOBS vs BT - Unsure with this one, only tipping because they are the home team
Old Mentone vs SMS - See above
Kew vs Whitefriars - Kew by 80 points

Good to see 2 blokes from this grade making the under 23 VAFA initial squad of 57. Dustan Mills from OM's and Loui Holmes from SMS, any one know much about these guys? They have kicked 18 and 21 goals respectively this year in 6 games, so I'm tipping they are both forwards.

NOBS vs BT - Unsure with this one, only tipping because they are the home team
This game is at St Pats Ballarat

Louise Holmes is a 21 year old full forward, this is his second year of seniors, played in a premiership u19 team in 2013. Big bodied and fast over 20m with extremely good hands who can slot goals from 50 out on most angles.

Congrats to both of them!

Old Geelong v Ormond I expect a tough game. The Monders because they will do the business all season.
Yarra Valley v Prahran Two blues to get up convincingly.
NOBS/St Pats v Bulleen Temp. Big road trip, for both teams.
Old Mentonians v St Marys Not really convinced about both clubs but I anticipate a surprise one week soon.
Kew v Whitefriars.The bears are running like bulls at the moment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ormond will find it tough for a the first part of the game adjusting to the ground but the cream will rise to the top very quickly..

Seems to have been the case in the last few weeks in Ormonds matches, tough for 2-3 quarters then blown out in the last. Expect it to happen again!

When I saw Ormond play, their run and spread around the contest was top notch, big ground shouldnt harm them.

Seems to have been the case in the last few weeks in Ormonds matches, tough for 2-3 quarters then blown out in the last. Expect it to happen again!

When I saw Ormond play, their run and spread around the contest was top notch, big ground shouldnt harm them.
The bigger grounds suit , believe me, Como wont be a problem.
Ormond 6
Prahran 27
NOBS 11
OM 1
Kew 48

Ormond over Old Geelong by 15
Prahran over Yarra Valley by 70
NOBs/St Pats over Bulleen Temp by 21 points
St Marys over Old Mentone by 19 point
Kew over Whitefriars by 24 points

Sounds like a thriller at Como, can't wait for the rundown!
With Kew smashing Whitefriars and SMS thumping Old Mentone there's a clear gap growing between the top and bottom halves

Sounds like a thriller at Como, can't wait for the rundown!
With Kew smashing Whitefriars and SMS thumping Old Mentone there's a clear gap growing between the top and bottom halves

I think it's even more defined.

Top 4 clear, with Prahran the only likely middle 4 team to be able to challenge.

I think BT and Yarra are well off the pace.

OMs, NOBs and us are largely
incapable of matching it with the top 4, but the Two Blues are the smoky.

Trying to be objective after a really disappointing afternoon at Victoria Park.

I think it's even more defined.

Top 4 clear, with Prahran the only likely middle 4 team to be able to challenge.

I think BT and Yarra are well off the pace.

OMs, NOBs and us are largely
incapable of matching it with the top 4, but the Two Blues are the smoky.

Trying to be objective after a really disappointing afternoon at Victoria Park.

Kew were dominant today against Whitefriars. That being said, Whitefriars are depleted with injuries at the moment so it is a tough time for them - great bunch of blokes. Ormond v Kew (r 10) shaping up to be huge

Agree that the top 4 are starting to break away from the rest but a big week coming up before the Queen's B'day break.

* * * Memo to home teams in this grade - get someone to do the live scores! You can do it scoffing a pie with some dimmies and a coke and still watch the game without exerting yourself. Even if you doze off and only update it a few times a quarter we wouldn't care. 2 teams not even inputting scores and another who can't figure out the quarters (Oggers) is poor form. The VAFA should come down harder on this given how easy it is to do.

The week ahead:

For YV it's make or break out at Brunswick - lose and they can say hello to D2 for 2016. NOB's should be too strong and open up a nice break on the bottom 2 whilst giving themselves a chance to make the finals. Someone try and man up on Lachlan Ezard - you can't miss him if you look! He looks like he might need a walking frame but still runs rings around guys 10 years his junior.

GF Replay from D2 last year should be a beauty - Kew have been very impressive so far. SMS would want a win as it would keep a nice gap between them and the rest but I can't see it happening. Kew will go into the long weekend break undefeated and on top before a percentage boosting win against YV sets up the match of the season to date at the Gunn in Rd 10.

Ormond too strong for BT even at Ajani. BT need all their stars firing and young Mason Giles available if they are to give themselves a chance to move out of the bottom 2.

Danger game for the Oggers against local rivals PA. PA been unlucky so far and a win will do a lot for their finals aspirations after some narrow losses. I'm tipping an upset for PA to get over the top of the Oggers and keep the battle for 3rd spot open for the time being. Even if the Oggers lose to PA, they are now safe enough from relegation to start stacking their reserves who sit outside the top 4 right now!!

OM's and WF's is a vital game for both clubs at this early stage of the season. Both have shown their best is good enough to compete in this grade but their worst isn't and a win to OM would open up a nice break from the relegation group. Friars for mind but home ground advantage the only reason.

Kew were dominant today against Whitefriars. That being said, Whitefriars are depleted with injuries at the moment so it is a tough time for them - great bunch of blokes. Ormond v Kew (r 10) shaping up to be huge

Not a patch on last season (yet). Thanks for the kind words, but our depth is obviously lacking once again, and calling guys up who
don't train to play 2s each week is less than ideal.

Still, short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

Noticed Donvale won their first EFL division 4 game for the year today, and at 12 guys who played seniors last season for us were part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back