D2 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Elation and heartbreak weekend ahead of us and two great matchups.

The Hoes have been strong all season and can finally advance up a grade.

Advancing grades hasn't been as big an issue as actually winning the big one Clint.

Need both hands to count the lost ones since the last senior flag in 1969!

Go Hoes

Well done to the Hoers, 3 sides all competing in Grand Finals in 2 weeks and our 17s won a premiership this week.

Paradians Vs St Johns this week.

Some tight contests on the weekend with the first round of finals now complete.

The Raiders cause an 'upset' and take down the Blues in what many outside of OP's thought could not be done. Great effort to come from behind and out run the Blues and set up a big clash with the Jocs next week.

Hoes make it through to the GF and await the winner of the Jocs V Raiders in what should be a cracking game. Very happy to move up another grade and continue to make our club 'more appealing' for much of the junior talent within our region to consider to play at.

The result will say 5 goals, but the game was much tighter than that, with just 4 points separating the teams with 15 minutes to go and the Jocs pushing hard. The Hoes just settled a little bit better and started to get the game flowing in the last 15 minutes as a combination of fitness and 'fit-players-left-standing' took it's toll on the Jocs.

The young Hoes will be better for the finals hit out and get an understanding of finals type pressure/speed and hopefully be a little 'cleaner' with the ball use next time around. We were a bit sloppy and missed alot of targets, though it was a little windy, and so can improve significantly in that area in two weeks time.

The Jocs will get Mara back for next week, but look likely to lose a few to injuries that will not help their cause. In what looks like a long term injury to O'connor (knee) could be significant as they will need to shut down a very good forward line for the Raiders - with D Boundy looming large as a big headache. Should be a fierce contest with two of the D2 competitions bigger bodied teams cracking in for a shot at the GF.

Great game in the twos also as we edged out MHSOB in another tight contest. A few injuries for the hoes that we will need to monitor over the next two weeks, but we have some good depth there if needed. The Unicorns V Snakes will be a belta with the Snakes stitching them up only a couple of weeks back. I think some significant team selection changes will present themselves next week against what lined up then, but the Snakes are on a bit of a roll.

Looking forward to the challenge and opportunity in a couple of weeks time.

Chump

great effort by both Ops and Ivanhoe, both seem like deserved winners. Who is the second team we reckon get promoted?
Wasn't at either game, but by judging what chump says, Ivanhoe seem composed beyond their years. I think this team is great, all i would hope for is that they dont get complacent as St Johns and Parade would learn more from their losses to the hoes more than the hoes would get from the wins
Looks like NB either ran out of gas, or got massively outplayed in the last as it seems they were infront all day

great effort by both Ops and Ivanhoe, both seem like deserved winners. Who is the second team we reckon get promoted?
Wasn't at either game, but by judging what chump says, Ivanhoe seem composed beyond their years. I think this team is great, all i would hope for is that they dont get complacent as St Johns and Parade would learn more from their losses to the hoes more than the hoes would get from the wins
Looks like NB either ran out of gas, or got massively outplayed in the last as it seems they were infront all day

I can assure you complacency is not an issue at the Hoes .............. on a club note, we haven't won a senior flag since 1969 or a Reserves since 1987. We had 59 blokes at recovery session last night still hopeful of making the final 44 to represent the club in the two senior games with the senior coach VERY clear that all we have done is created an opportunity.

From an opposition perspective -
* The Jocs were within 4 points with 15 minutes to go on Saturday and could have taken the game with a bit of luck around injuries on the day.
* In the two games against the Raiders we have only pulled away in the last 1/4 after being as far as 33 points down.

Opportunity - Yes.
Confident that our best footy, with our best teams is good enough to give us a real shot at winning - Yes.
Complacent - I would not think that will be an issue with this group.

Chump.

Well I was right about the Blues for about 3 quarters.... Oh well.

Parade and St Johns should be a really close game. Toss a coin.

The Snakes will constrict the unicorns in the reserves!

Here we go ..... Preliminary final time with everything to play for ..... promotion and a shot at the flag!

The Jocs take on a confident Raiders outfit who believe they have what it takes to cause an 'upset' victory in this weeks senior preliminary after a great victory over the Blues last week. Alot of the focus will go towards the undermanned Jocs defense (missing O'Connor) that needs to stop proven goal kickers, Boundy, Kandilakis and Bellizia from kicking a winning score. That said, they may need close to 90 -100 points to win as the firepower of the Jocs forward line has big goal kicking potential with Edwards, Thornton, Scott, Cattiolico and a resting Jakwot.

Mara and Nicholson back in for the Joc's will help with run and carry off half back and around the ground, but again the onballers for the Raiders will provide plenty of opportunity for their forwards. Will that Raiders tag Strobel who gives the Jocs great run and drive or will they go head to head with Holden who is in super ball gathering form?.

This will be a physical encounter no doubt and both sides don't like to take a backwards step, so with the ultimate on the line and a slight possibility of some showers though out the day - it will not be a game for the faint of heart. I think this will be a close one, but the form of the Jocs over the whole season sees me selecting them.......just. Joc's by 11 points.

Snakes V Unicorns is a very interesting one with the Snakes handing out a solid defeat not to long ago to the Unicorns who had been one of the very best teams all year. The unicorns were not far off it last week against the Hoes, but finals can get tricky and upsets can happen when you least expect it. I think the Snakes may pinch this as they matched up well (recently) against the Unicorns - Snakes by 4 points.

Good luck all - no injuries.

Chump.

If you were to lose a finals game, this week's Preliminary Final is probably the one as a loss has a double effect and plays on players minds all summer long. The Raiders saluted as expected, by me, last week and now have to do it again against a rebounding Jocs outfit. I think the Raiders can, and maintain the inpetus and finally get to a grand final and promotion.
St Johns vs Old Paradians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's the pirate from St.Johns that writes for the VAFA? What are you going to write in response to your clubs failure to win a final and choke? Are you going to write about some of your players who started sniping once the game was out of reach? Pretty poor club and culture but it's what you expect from a club that has no real history to it. Enjoy 2016 in division two, as for the guy who wears number 30 for St.Johns, his time will come. Write that in your column.

Who's the pirate from St.Johns that writes for the VAFA? What are you going to write in response to your clubs failure to win a final and choke? Are you going to write about some of your players who started sniping once the game was out of reach? Pretty poor club and culture but it's what you expect from a club that has no real history to it. Enjoy 2016 in division two, as for the guy who wears number 30 for St.Johns, his time will come. Write that in your column.
oohh a bit of banter, whats the story here

Not happy about a few things on the weekend Lloydy? Any reports? Injuries? or just a bit of biffo?

Chump

I dare say he may of spent the last few days on it rather drafting vafa articles. What did number 30 do?

At least for the scribe he gets to keep his job as scribe of this grade

I really find it amusing how people continue to post that guys "are going to get it"...
I've been involved in VAFA football for a very long time, seen some very average incidents but one thing I'm yet to see - the perpetrators "getting it" next time around.
Well done to both Ivanhoe and Parade, glad to see both teams making their rise again. I remember seeing both these teams in B Grade not so long ago.

I dont think it was anything out of the ordinary from the doveton boys. Just your standard punches to the back of the head, sling tackles to blokes off the play and trying to start all in brawls. Umpires all most lost control of it....

I really find it amusing how people continue to post that guys "are going to get it"...
I've been involved in VAFA football for a very long time, seen some very average incidents but one thing I'm yet to see - the perpetrators "getting it" next time around.
Well done to both Ivanhoe and Parade, glad to see both teams making their rise again. I remember seeing both these teams in B Grade not so long ago.

You may have seen Chump or Champ with his ankle high boots and collared guernsey laying some ferocious shepherds for the 'hoes back then Mounzer.
Who did you play with?

I only saw the Jocs play at Ivanhoe Park the one time, and i really don't see the problem most have with them from that small sample size.
They did nothing at all onfield that was worth mentioning at all....

Last edited:
Great vote count for the D2 last night with a thrilling finish.
Interesting to see that the top three vote getters came from clubs that had less successful win/loss ratio's than the top 3 sides.
NB = 12/6, MHSOB = 9/9 and RC = 7/11
What was even more interesting was the the lack of Jocs votes in the top 6 in the competition after dominating most of the year.
This either suggests the top sides have a greater spread and as such share alot more votes or that the umpires view the game differently to coaches and supporters.

Congratulations to the winners - great recognition of personally consistent years for your teams.

Chump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back