D4 D4 Section - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to the teams playing this weekend.

Point Cook vs Box Hill North
Canterbury vs North Brunswick
Westburne vs Parkside

What a great system. Most likely result 1v2 & 4v5 playing for promotion next week. Unless Parkside do the business, and then 1v4 & 5v6 playing for promotion. With 2,3 outskis!!!

Nice reward for Westbourne 2nd on ladder and now a sudden death final added to one less day and a game against Canterbury.

Yes TT it is true the better sides will get through. But Pls. Hopefully all the GUNS that Westbourne have been hiding in the 2's come ready to play.

Ross out!

Unbelievable by North brunny today, had a great start and starved off a fast finishing cantebury, great effort and promising sigs ahead for next week

Unbelievable by North brunny today, had a great start and starved off a fast finishing cantebury, great effort and promising sigs ahead for next week
All at Norf Brunny would like to thank there secret weapon....the Canterbury seconds line coach / aka the Ammo Scribe. Old hummer has dug deep all year and exhausted many a thesaurus in trying to do his beloved side justice....appears his fellow team mates swallowed it all and believed the hype. Not "in a canter today Hummer"

Terrific effort by north brunny. It cost us our spot, but hats off. the last 2 times its been a final 6, 1v6 has had 6th win. Both times at the expense of PC! I still maintain the best side will win it. September is a completely different season, and you have to be winning to go forward.

Westbournes game is now also an elimination final today. It will be interesting which Parkside turn up.

I think Westbourne will win, but as NB proved yesterday, finals is a funny thing.

Didn't play in this division this season, but i decided to go down to garvey oval for a look yesterday. I was really impressed with the standard of the reserves game, both sides moved the ball pretty well but BHN's commitment in trying conditions got them the chocolates. The same can be said of the senior game which followed an interesting trend, whenever the heavy rain came BHN looked the far better side, as periods dried up, point cooks outside run and ball use had BHN on the back foot. BHN's hardness at the pill really shone through though and i reckon that's why they advance, if conditions were different i can see how that result could easily have gone the other way. Good luck to those who advanced, comissorations to those who's season ended.

Didn't play in this division this season, but i decided to go down to garvey oval for a look yesterday. I was really impressed with the standard of the reserves game, both sides moved the ball pretty well but BHN's commitment in trying conditions got them the chocolates. The same can be said of the senior game which followed an interesting trend, whenever the heavy rain came BHN looked the far better side, as periods dried up, point cooks outside run and ball use had BHN on the back foot. BHN's hardness at the pill really shone through though and i reckon that's why they advance, if conditions were different i can see how that result could easily have gone the other way. Good luck to those who advanced, comissorations to those who's season ended.

Pretty much spot on. 2 goals 9 in third quarter killed point cook. But both sides had opportunities missed.

Parkside 20 points in front of Westbourne too

What a great system. Most likely result 1v2 & 4v5 playing for promotion next week. Unless Parkside do the business, and then 1v4 & 5v6 playing for promotion. With 2,3 outskis!!!

Nice reward for Westbourne 2nd on ladder and now a sudden death final added to one less day and a game against Canterbury.

Yes TT it is true the better sides will get through. But Pls. Hopefully all the GUNS that Westbourne have been hiding in the 2's come ready to play.

Ross out!

Looks like they don't have to worry about a 6 day break now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time reader (over 2 years) but haven't felt the need to sign up until now to add my two cents to this predicament.

Firstly hats off to BHN, North Brunny and Parkside for knocking off teams above them. Good luck to them in the rest of the finals, it is going to be very interesting BUT it is ridiculous that there is the possibility that not one of the two top sides, who have a combined 3 losses from 32 games between them (two of which are against each other), may not be promoted. All it is rewarding is the side that has the best run of injuries at the end of the season.

Westbourne only get one chance in the finals after losing two games for the season, including knocking off the top (and previously undefeated) side the week before.

Is this fair?

Not to the top two sides, nor the battlers who potentially facing Canterbury and Westbourne for another year with more 20-30 goal losses in the home and away.

Added to this is that Box Hill North play Canterbury in one prelim so that guarantees 5th or 6th promotion? Shouldn't Box Hill North have the benefit of playing 6th as the highest winner? Not facing the side that finished 15-1?

Must be a better way

You have to win finals. Full stop.

So the best team should still win the flag. Whether they have been the best team all year or the best team at the right time is a different subject.

personally, top 5 for an 11 team comp is ideal.

1st week off
2nd vs 3rd, 4th vs 5th week one
winner of 2 vs 3 plays 1st, winner or 4 vs 5 plays loser of 2 vs 3 week 2

Then winner of first final straight in with week off, loser plays winner of lower final for final spot.

Goes over 4 weeks, which is a problem for Vafa. However I would be willing to give up one of the 4 weekends off to compensate.

It's not a terrible system. Unless that is you lose your first final and leave your fate in the lap of the gods, in which case you will probably be punished.

Don't forget this system was brought in to give half the clubs (and this year more than half) the opportunity to play finals.

Next week Box Hill North and North Brunswick, two clubs who have been in D4 for a very long time, get their shot at promotion. I don't think anyone can begrudge either of them that chance.

Certainly don't begrudge Nth Brunny or BHN their hard earned opportunity but apart from today, when was Westbourne's last defeat? Must have been a while ago. Surely losing two games during an entire season earns you more than just one bad day at the office.

No doubt TT is right. Final 5 would be the fairest but for some reason the VAFA don't want a four week finals system. Why else would you jump from final 4 for a 10 team comp, to a final 6 for an 11 team comp?

Canterbury have a second chance for finishing top, but even Point Cook miss out with a decent win/loss from the season. Final 5 would give them a double chance as well.

The top three teams losing has just highlighted a pretty week final set-up IMO, it seems more like a lightning premiership than a senior football finals after a full season.

Certainly don't begrudge Nth Brunny or BHN their hard earned opportunity but apart from today, when was Westbourne's last defeat? Must have been a while ago. Surely losing two games during an entire season earns you more than just one bad day at the office.

No doubt TT is right. Final 5 would be the fairest but for some reason the VAFA don't want a four week finals system. Why else would you jump from final 4 for a 10 team comp, to a final 6 for an 11 team comp?

Canterbury have a second chance for finishing top, but even Point Cook miss out with a decent win/loss from the season. Final 5 would give them a double chance as well.

The top three teams losing has just highlighted a pretty week final set-up IMO, it seems more like a lightning premiership than a senior football finals after a full season.

While I argee with you that 2nd should be guaranteed a DC no matter how they play week 1, that's the great thing about finals footy...Westbourne would have thought that Canterbury would never lose week 1, therefore guaranteing a DC, and min pressure to win. when Canterbury did lose, it put pressure on WB, to which they couldn't handle. Westbourne kicked their 2nd lowest score for the entire season, and lost to a side which they beat by 10 goals when the played them last.....

I've always said that the top four is the simplest and best final system we have....even in the AFL, only one side has won a flag from outside the top 4, ever.....

Shoulda, coulda, woulda........did'nt.

Commiserations to Westbourne. It's tough being one of the dominant sides all year only to suffer a bad day out in the first final. But thats the way it rolls in finals. We can complain about the system but finals and grand finals are won by the teams that play thier best footy when it matters.

Parkside had won 4 of their last 5 (granted against teams placed 7- 11) and were always a chance with nothing to lose on Sunday. By the look of the scores - seems like they just wanted it more when it counted the most. Will need to bring the same effort next week against the form side of the comp in Nth Brunny. This game could be anything!!

Holy Crapola! What a weekend of footy!!

No one saw North Brunny beating Canterbury. Great effort! What happened in the first quarter???

The Box Hill result is not surprising given their good recent form.

The Parkside result probably surprised just as many people as the North Brunny game!

If I were to name the best contested footy sides in D4 this season it'd be Parkside, North Brunny and Box Hill. No surprise that these teams could stand up under finals pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back