Prediction Dale Thomas to dust off the Save Our Mick petition

Remove this Banner Ad

History shows that most players ( probably over 80%) choose to stay with their club on less money than they could get by moving clubs. Mateship, success, club loyalty, and being forever part of a football family still means much to many. Comparing it to working in a factory or accountancy is misleading.

Yes at times. But when the contract on the table is substantially higher than the current one what do you do. I dont believe individuals working for any organisation put the organisation first.. (still plays a big part of course). Thomas moved to Carlton on a big packet.. and he saw an opportunity for a 500k salary after footy to sit at a desk at visy for 2hrs a week ala chris judd giving everyone the impression he gives a s... you seem to think that football clubs are all about loyalty mateship family etc and that 80% of players stay a clubs for that reason.. why do 80% of players stay at the same club? bc 80% of players wouldnt get much more leaving their current clubs anyhow. 20% of the other players are marquee.. and if theyre not paid enough at their current clubs and are offered big bucks elsewhere the mere fact that theyre are contemplating a move goes agst your theory.

He carried on like a massive dildo before he left - wagging his finger at Bucks, no doubt party to the petition, talking about jumpers in bins. Got a bit Jake King.

It's his right to leave and it's fans right to think he's a flog for carrying on and not factoring club loyalty into his decision. If you make it about the cold cash nexus, that's how it's perceived with unsurprising consequences for all.

I know where youre coming from.. but i have both my supporter and thomas hat on.. i see validity in both arguments.

this, took the extra 150- 200k over 4 years = 600-800k, but would of cost himself a lot of jobs in the media post football. he is a complete has been now
youre wrong.. youre looking at results. he actually went to carlton with that in mind.. he just hasnt managed to get out there and play the footy we know hes capable off.. imagine he was flying.. hed be on billboards on punt rd ala judd getting carltons sponsors jumping on board looking for him as a promotional tool etc.

Yeah. When Tony Shaw's getting a well paid gig in the media for 20+ years - it tells you all you need to know.
well say thomas was kicking a.. for carlton.. hed leave shaw for dead. he didnt go there to be a dud.. he did it to set himself up for life not only contract wise but after football gigs.

christiano ronaldo makes a move to barcelona from real madrid.. what to be a dud and f up his soccer career and post soccer career.. cmon guys! i don't think thomas is that stupid knowing that a move to carlton would stuff up his post career.. he did it with the intentions of actually promoting it. it just didnt work out for him.

well say thomas was kicking a.. for carlton.. hed leave shaw for dead. he didnt go there to be a dud.. he did it to set himself up for life not only contract wise but after football gigs.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing.

Maybe I'm the fool for conversing with a wind-up merchant.

In 10 years time I hope we can remember him for his premiership at Collingwood and not his defection to Carlton.

After a 25 year drought, it was all worth it.

But I think he will definitely live to regret his decision to leave Collingwood, even though the money was better. He still would've been on good money, and his promotional aspect was always higher. The blues don't really use him to promote because people have turned off him. You don't see him in near as many ads anymore.

Sad way to play out his career
20 years, not 25.

youre wrong.. youre looking at results. he actually went to carlton with that in mind.. he just hasnt managed to get out there and play the footy we know hes capable off.. imagine he was flying.. hed be on billboards on punt rd ala judd getting carltons sponsors jumping on board looking for him as a promotional tool etc.

My+head+hurts.png

We mustn't forget a football player is a job as well.. this loyalty business only forms a part of it. We have all changed jobs for financual gain.. what gives us the right to bag the crap out of someone for doing what weve all done. Thomas can do as he pleases.. what i will always be greatful for is what he did whilst he was out there in the black and white.. no doubt he heard all our voices in the outer.. as he show boated running down the wing making a mockery of the opposition.. he played for us. ill never ever hate him.
There is some truth to what you say but the reality about Daisy is that he sullied his own reputation when he left. Let's never forget that he was the one who went to Mick as the spokesperson for a group of players wanting to pressure the board to reverse the succession decision. There is no doubt that when he was at Collingwood he played for the coach but it seems he most definitely did not play for the club.

It most definitely seems to me that money was not his primary motivation for leaving. More likely he left in support of Mick because he didn't like the club's decision and in the process exposed a complete lack of professionalism and maturity. Let's be clear about Daisy's professionalism here, don't forget how irresponsible he was in relation to his rehab when he decided to go surfing instead of doing the hard yards. He also happily trashed the dreams of countless kids when he binned his Collingwood jumper publicly. Yes Daisy is just another employee making a living out of the game but sometimes good grace will hold you in good stead. Daisy has made his bed in regard to his reputation and he will have a hell of a job ever throwing off the tag of immature and unprofessional which is only made worse by the fact that he has provided Carlton with nothing in return for a hefty salary which never equated to his worth.

In life you reap what you sow and whether people like it or not, Daisy is experiencing a very obvious form of Karma. One of life's little lessons I guess.

There is some truth to what you say but the reality about Daisy is that he sullied his own reputation when he left. Let's never forget that he was the one who went to Mick as the spokesperson for a group of players wanting to pressure the board to reverse the succession decision. There is no doubt that when he was at Collingwood he played for the coach but it seems he most definitely did not play for the club.

It most definitely seems to me that money was not his primary motivation for leaving. More likely he left in support of Mick because he didn't like the club's decision and in the process exposed a complete lack of professionalism and maturity. Let's be clear about Daisy's professionalism here, don't forget how irresponsible he was in relation to his rehab when he decided to go surfing instead of doing the hard yards. He also happily trashed the dreams of countless kids when he binned his Collingwood jumper publicly. Yes Daisy is just another employee making a living out of the game but sometimes good grace will hold you in good stead. Daisy has made his bed in regard to his reputation and he will have a hell of a job ever throwing off the tag of immature and unprofessional which is only made worse by the fact that he has provided Carlton with nothing in return for a hefty salary which never equated to his worth.

In life you reap what you sow and whether people like it or not, Daisy is experiencing a very obvious form of Karma. One of life's little lessons I guess.

Well I had no idea he binned his jumper. I hate him for that.. but I don't hate him for leaving. He can do as he pleases. Thomas is no different to ablett franklin tippet griffin or judd. This so called loyalty family mateship argument being the reason why majority of the players stay at the 1 club im not buying into it. Truth of the matter is the majority of players who are of average or good standard prob wont get much more making a move to another club anyhow. And youd think if this loyalty mateship family business we hear players speak about in the media plays a big part in players playing their entire careers at the one club then why is it that these champion players are making a move. Truth of the matter is you flash the cash.. these players will move like flash gordon as a result. No different to any other job out there. If youre a pprofessional footballer youre working your butt of day in day.. its not as glamorous as we all make it to be.. its a job.

I do believe players are out there to get the best deal possible.

I have been classified as a wind up merchant.. all im doing is looking at both sides of the argument. And my argument is pro collingwood. It always will be. Why does someone who looks at the big picture get crucified on here.

If we all hate thomas for leaving the club for money.. then why do we not mention greenwood coming to the club for money. Of course hes a collingwood player now lets overlook the fact tht he was looking for a bigger deal elsewhere. My argument is.. when you wear the jumper you better perform. I will not question the underlying reasons why youre wearing the jumper.. as a matter of fact i dont really care. when you wear the jumper.. perform. thats my argumen.. and thomas did just that. i don't agree with some of the things hes done but if i hate him as much as some on here.. that would go against what we all stand for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if everyone wants to sit there and hammer into thomas.. then why isnt everyone having a go at franklin a legend at hawthon.. griffin dogs captain.. ablett another legend at geelong and brownlow medalist.. judd wc captain and brownlow medallist. when he wore the collingwood jumper he wore it well.. hes made his move.. gl to him. he did enough for the jumper.

If we all hate thomas for leaving the club for money.. then why do we not mention greenwood coming to the club for money. Of course hes a collingwood player now lets overlook the fact tht he was looking for a bigger deal elsewhere.

The key point here is the way in which Thomas went about it in his last year, carrying on in the media and making so many uncalled for smart arse comments. THAT is what has pissed off the majority of supporters, not so much that he moved clubs and hence why there hasn't been the same level of vitriol directed towards Greenwood. There are ways to go about these things, and keeping your mouth shut and quietly going about your business and not bagging the club, even after you have left shows those that have more character and integrity. No reasonable person would begrudge someone after better opportunity and money elsewhere, but you've gotta remain classy in the process. Greenwood has done that and so did Luke Ball back in 2009/2010.

Last edited:
if everyone wants to sit there and hammer into thomas.. then why isnt everyone having a go at franklin a legend at hawthon.. griffin dogs captain.. ablett another legend at geelong and brownlow medalist.. judd wc captain and brownlow medallist. when he wore the collingwood jumper he wore it well.. hes made his move.. gl to him. he did enough for the jumper.
As if we are going to be emotionally involved in other teams trades. By the way, none of those players publicly stated that kids will need to dig their number 13 jumpers out of the bin and that a lot of people will have egg on their faces.

Well played Dinosoar.

Mick to get the sack this year... It will be seen that Mick and Carlton have decided to part ways but really the Carlton board are already planning for life post Mick and cleaning out his locker.

Daisy to play out the next 2 years then get offered a significantly lower contract.
Will approach Collingwood and ask us to take him back like an ex girlfriend.
Offer him a rookie list spot. Play him as the sub if he gets games.

Will stop supporting Collingwood if we took either Thomas or Beams back where better then that

As if we are going to be emotionally involved in other teams trades. By the way, none of those players publicly stated that kids will need to dig their number 13 jumpers out of the bin and that a lot of people will have egg on their faces.

Well played Dinosoar.

Obviously I dont agree with what he did there.. my argument is based around other things. If we are cticizing thomas for opting to leave for a bigger contract well then arnt we all at fault here. Im sure the majority of us have chnged jobs for a bigger pay packet.

christiano ronaldo makes a move to barcelona from real madrid.. what to be a dud and f up his soccer career and post soccer career.. cmon guys! i don't think thomas is that stupid knowing that a move to carlton would stuff up his post career.. he did it with the intentions of actually promoting it. it just didnt work out for him.
You're comparing Dale Thomas to Cristiano Ronaldo? You're talking about someone regarded by many as the best player in his sport...compared to someone who was a top 20 player at best, and had his best season 5 years ago, when Mick Malthouse could still get a boner

You're comparing Dale Thomas to Cristiano Ronaldo? You're talking about someone regarded by many as the best player in his sport...compared to someone who was a top 20 player at best, and had his best season 5 years ago, when Mick Malthouse could still get a boner
im not comparing how talented the 2 are.. what im saying is why would any player move clubs? in the hope of destroying their careers? makes no logical sense at all.

im not comparing how talented the 2 are.. what im saying is why would any player move clubs? in the hope of destroying their careers? makes no logical sense at all.
I don't think anyone's saying that, and I don't think anyone here hates him. They're pretty much just acknowledging that Carlton and Thomas deserve to be in the piss poor situation they're in now. You're getting a bit worked up over nothing, mate.

Like others said, it's not THAT he left...it's HOW he left. Other players that have left us, I can't help but crack a smile when I see them doing well - especially someone like Danny Stanley at the Suns, or how well Rhyce Shaw's gone over the journey for Sydney..overcoming the limitations in his game and proving the naysayers wrong. Thomas had no right to troll us (essentially that's what he did) on the lead up and after his exit. Now he's copping everything he deserves - and so are Carlton. Their tears taste so delicious right now.

There is daisy thomAs who was a very good collingwood player and dale Thomas who is a Carlton campaigner.

His ankle/foot is shot he has lost what made him good, agility and gut running.

We won't take him back but Carlton will seek to move on.

We mustn't forget a football player is a job as well.. this loyalty business only forms a part of it. We have all changed jobs for financual gain.. what gives us the right to bag the crap out of someone for doing what weve all done. Thomas can do as he pleases.. what i will always be greatful for is what he did whilst he was out there in the black and white.. no doubt he heard all our voices in the outer.. as he show boated running down the wing making a mockery of the opposition.. he played for us. ill never ever hate him.

I love how people generalise things to make themselves and their opinions the norm. Not everyone has changed jobs for money. Some people stay in jobs because they care about what they do, not just about money. This attitude absolutely shits me. You don't know that everyone would take more money, but because you would, your opinion is everyone would. And you do it to make yourself feel better about being driven by one factor, money. Open your eyes to other opinions and differing values. Not everyone is obsessed with money.

I don't think anyone's saying that, and I don't think anyone here hates him. They're pretty much just acknowledging that Carlton and Thomas deserve to be in the piss poor situation they're in now. You're getting a bit worked up over nothing, mate.

Like others said, it's not THAT he left...it's HOW he left. Other players that have left us, I can't help but crack a smile when I see them doing well - especially someone like Danny Stanley at the Suns, or how well Rhyce Shaw's gone over the journey for Sydney..overcoming the limitations in his game and proving the naysayers wrong. Thomas had no right to troll us (essentially that's what he did) on the lead up and after his exit. Now he's copping everything he deserves - and so are Carlton. Their tears taste so delicious right now.

and if youve read one of my previous posts i did say that im happy they are in the s... as a result of it.

If we all hate thomas for leaving the club for money.. then why do we not mention greenwood coming to the club for money. Of course hes a collingwood player now lets overlook the fact tht he was looking for a bigger deal elsewhere. My argument is.. when you wear the jumper you better perform. I will not question the underlying reasons why youre wearing the jumper.. as a matter of fact i dont really care. when you wear the jumper.. perform. thats my argumen.. and thomas did just that. i don't agree with some of the things hes done but if i hate him as much as some on here.. that would go against what we all stand for.
We don't all hate him for leaving for money, we hate him for being such an unprofessional smartarse while doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back