Football God

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, miami dolphins
me and my mate just want to see who is better, both respectable players some think thomas is overrated... i lol at them.

anyways, cheers :thumbsu:

wavefall21

All Australian
Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yankees, Knicks
higgns takes one of the biggest dumps on thomas, even the most realistic pies fan would trade thomas for higgins, higgins is going to be an out and out star, he's close to that status

anti_

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
higgins by so so so so much.

he's more of a complete player. thomas does the odd extrodinary thing but higgins always contributes with about 20 touches and 1-2 goals.

Alpha1

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
What a funny thread, comparing an out and out gun with a girl. Higgins is so far ahead of flower power Daisy that only a Collingwood fan would dare compare the two. :)

collingwill

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 25, 2008
wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
higgens at the moment, thomas could catch him, time will tell.

people say thomas is overrated because of the media work and the adds he does, ive never heard an expert worth his salt say anything other than "he's very promising" or "he doesnt work hard enough", so the only people who overrate him are the people who say he's overrated if that makes any sense, he's a hard worker and a good trainer so i dont think the "doesnt work hard enough" tag fits, IMO he doesnt work smart enough, runs around like a headless chook most of the time, if the penny drops and he starts running to the right areas and works out he cant influence every contest he may become someone worthy of a no2 pick, i reckon he'll peak around 25/26, showed some good signs late in the year.

thebigboy

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2005
Parkdale
AFL Club
Essendon
Higgins.

Massive fan of the kind. Would love to have him at the Bombers:thumbsu:.

*seems like the op is the only one who's voted for thomas. 24-1 Higgins.

collingwill

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 25, 2008
wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
maybe they were takin in the same draft?

i must say as a permanent FWD id take Thomas, id take higgens overall though, but as smiddaz said he isnt as far behind higgens as many would think.

Kaladin Stormblessed

Journey before Destination
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
higgens at the moment, thomas could catch him, time will tell.

people say thomas is overrated because of the media work and the adds he does, ive never heard an expert worth his salt say anything other than "he's very promising" or "he doesnt work hard enough", so the only people who overrate him are the people who say he's overrated if that makes any sense, he's a hard worker and a good trainer so i dont think the "doesnt work hard enough" tag fits, IMO he doesnt work smart enough, runs around like a headless chook most of the time, if the penny drops and he starts running to the right areas and works out he cant influence every contest he may become someone worthy of a no2 pick, i reckon he'll peak around 25/26, showed some good signs late in the year.
Seriously?

You've never heard any commentator say "He's a star" or "What a superstar Dale Thomas!!" ? And you haven't seen the almost weekly back-page photoshoot in the HUN either?

I have, hence why he is completely overrated

collingwill

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 25, 2008
wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously?

You've never heard any commentator say "He's a star" or "What a superstar Dale Thomas!!" ? And you haven't seen the almost weekly back-page photoshoot in the HUN either?

I have, hence why he is completely overrated

since whens a commentator an expert? is bruce an expert is he, maybe huddo, i dont even think walls in an expert, blights a raving nutcase lol, i do know what you mean though, flashy players are loved by the halfwits.

on stats there isnt much in it i must say, i think thomas averages more disposals, just, maybe because he's been playing down back a bit, and higgens averages about 0.6 of a goal better, i actualy thought the stats wouldve been more onesided then that.

anti_

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
if the media reckons player X is a gun and he really isnt. then he is over-rated.

dale thomas is over-rated.

collingwill

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 25, 2008
wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
if the media reckons player X is a gun and he really isnt. then he is over-rated.

yeah i suppose, i like to think of him as disapointing TBH, we drafted him at 2 and pendlebury at 5 and the amount of s**t we copped for taking pendlebury at 5 was incredible, the experts agreed thomas was a good pick however, funny how things work out isnt it.

while i say he's been disapointing he still easilly fits into our best 18 and he will be a 200+ gamer, he has the talent to be better than what he's shown and he will show it eventually IMO.

Most Dogs people see Higgins as a leader, and the club has him in the leadership group already and consider him a future captain. Not sure that Daisy is a natural leader, though.

Still, would have both of them in any AFL side.

thebigboy

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2005
Parkdale
AFL Club
Essendon
Most Dogs people see Higgins as a leader, and the club has him in the leadership group already and consider him a future captain. Not sure that Daisy is a natural leader, though.

Still, would have both of them in any AFL side.

He's been mentioned as a possibility to be there next captain which is a big wrap on the guy considering there not sort of options.

EagleMan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
2009 averages:

Higgins Thomas

Disp. 21.1 17.2
Goals 1.6 0.7
Marks 5.2 5.0
Tckl. 2.6 2.9

Of course stats don't tell the whole story, but that sounds about right to me. I'd much prefer Higgins.

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United, New York Knicks

No, it means he is over rated by the media.

Thomas is not in any way over rated by football fans. The majority rate him where he should be, and many people don't give him any credit at all.

Absolute no contest.

Higgins. In fact, of the players selected after Dale Thomas in the 2005 draft, I would take:

Ellis, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Ryder, Clark, Higgins, Hurn, Birchall, Varcoe on par, Dempsey, Bower, Muston, Ibbotson, McKinley, Vince, Gilbert, Anthony, Neagle, Swallow, Carlile, Bartram on par, Stokes.

This poll was never going to go well. Collingwood supporters should learn that making a poll with Thomas vs. Anyone is going to yield a highly anti-Thomas result.

Your best chance is to wait and see if Josh Thomas becomes a quality player, then combine the Thomases against a player who is disliked by everyone... maybe Milne.

collingwill

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 25, 2008
wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
thomas is a victim of being a high draft pick, having a pretty good 1st year and being in the media spotlight, everything he does or doesnt do gets sctutinised, he will come good and become a very damaging player, we might not see it for 2/3 years but it will happen.

MM says he's doing exactly what is required of him and he has been playing negative rolls, he was one of the few players who stood up during the finals, id even say people think he's that overrated that he's actualy become underrated, anyone would think he's struggling to get a game in the 4th best team in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back