Dale Thomas vs Shaun Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've partially conceded defeat. Thomas is better. Just defending against some people who want to stick the boot into Higgins with little to no idea.

They're pretty equal. If the Dogs were top team, I would've voted for Higgins. He would have had a whole full quality team to support him. If Collingwood were crap quality, Thomas wouldn't be a big star of a player. :footy:

They're pretty equal. If the Dogs were top team, I would've voted for Higgins. He would have had a whole full quality team to support him. If Collingwood were crap quality, Thomas wouldn't be a big star of a player. :footy:

If. If. If.

If your Aunty had balls she'd be your uncle!

If Collingwood were crap quality, Thomas wouldn't be a big star of a player. :footy:

So it's not Thomas himself putting in the hard work and running himself into the ground every game then? It's just happening for him because he's got good teammates? Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsu:

These polls should have the year of creation in the title and closed after a period of time. Higgins was better when the poll was created and Thomas has overtaken him now. If Higgins can get over his injury issues I feel he could bridge the gap again, he's a classy player.

This poll has the classic look about it " the collingwood guy is better now but in 2 years time the other guy from any other club, its not important which one will be better".. come on guys half the reason polls are created involving collingwood players vs any other is because generally the pies player is better than the other guy. Being world champions of 2010 and currently showing all and sundrie how football should be played, might suggest that they just maybe they might have the best players currently. It seems that accepting the simple truths about your great game might be a bit hard for large slice of the public. you all enjoy the rest of this season. just remember pies undefeated in october.... in fact i say that no team will beat the pies for rest of year..

This poll has the classic look about it " the collingwood guy is better now but in 2 years time the other guy from any other club, its not important which one will be better".. come on guys half the reason polls are created involving collingwood players vs any other is because generally the pies player is better than the other guy. Being world champions of 2010 and currently showing all and sundrie how football should be played, might suggest that they just maybe they might have the best players currently. It seems that accepting the simple truths about your great game might be a bit hard for large slice of the public. you all enjoy the rest of this season. just remember pies undefeated in october.... in fact i say that no team will beat the pies for rest of year..

Err. No.

This thread has the not so classic "when the thread made one guy was better but now that the other guy has overtaken him, Collingwood supporters need to bump it to gloat about everybody else having no idea".

Now piss off with the arrogant Collingwood s**t. There is no need for it. The poster above you summed it up beautifully. And he's a Collingwood poster too. Why can't you all be that reasonable?

PS- Shaun Higgins isn't a cheap shot dog like Thomas;)

Interestingly enough, here is the statistical comparison for the pair.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=1617&tid2=5&pid2=1608&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

unledws.jpg

Apologies for the small image- right click and view image to see it larger.

Quite interesting. Thomas averages more disposals and more marks, while Higgins more goals and assists.

Could it be that Thomas looks better because his team is winning? Not to say he's not playing great and contributing immensly to the team, but the fact that the team is winning makes everyone look better. As opposed to Higgins, who is in a team well down the ladder thus doesn't look as good even though he's playing well.

Could it be that Thomas looks better because his team is winning? Not to say he's not playing great and contributing immensly to the team, but the fact that the team is winning makes everyone look better. As opposed to Higgins, who is in a team well down the ladder thus doesn't look as good even though he's playing well.

No, it could not. Thanks for playing.

Care to offer a reason why?

Care to offer a reason why?

Because the idea "player A looks better because he plays for a better team" only occurs in the make-believe world of BigFooty, where deluded fans of poor teams need to find something to cling onto.

And even if we ignore the idiocy above, a proper look at the stats confirms that Thomas is miles ahead; his Champion Data score is 109.5 to Higgins' 81.1. This has nothing to do with team performance, it's purely statistical. Thomas's number put him in the top 25 in the league, Higgins' puts him well outside the top 100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody looks good when the team is winning. Same happened with the Bulldogs before this year. Now that the team is losing, some of our players don't look as good.

It's all about perception.

Accusing me of being an idiot does not help your argument. Just makes you look childish.

Gus

Most here believe that Higgins is a gun or at least a potential gun. He is just been prone to injury during his career. Personally I don't see that there is much if anything between them (even now with all the overblown crap comming from Lyon), if they were both fully fit. As a Collingwood supporter I would love for this poll to be in Daisy's favour, which is all I am really rooting for. Its not that we want to stick the boot into Higgins.

Accusing me of being an idiot does not help your argument. Just makes you look childish.

I didn't accuse you of being an idiot, I simply stated that the given argument was manifestly idiotic, which it is. Childishness is banging your head against a wall of overwhelming evidence.

I didn't accuse you of being an idiot, I simply stated that the given argument was manifestly idiotic, which it is. Childishness is banging your head against a wall of overwhelming evidence.

Look, I conceded Thomas was better. That was a couple of pages back.

The only reason I still post in here is to correct some pretty wild assumptions- such as the one that all Higgins' votes are only there because people don't like Collingwood.

I posted the statistics because they also state Thomas is miles ahead. Looking at the statistics, it isn't nearly as far apart as some believe.

The argument you called idiotic was that things look better when you are winning. Not that Thomas is being carried and made to look good. It's just that maybe slightly, the team being so good across the board can make some players reputation become enhanced when isolated as they are in this poll.

Look, I conceded Thomas was better. That was a couple of pages back.

The only reason I still post in here is to correct some pretty wild assumptions- such as the one that all Higgins' votes are only there because people don't like Collingwood.

This I had no problem with.

I posted the statistics because they also state Thomas is miles ahead. Looking at the statistics, it isn't nearly as far apart as some believe.

No, as I said in the post you ignored, looking at the stats shows that Thomas is further ahead than most believe. A difference of almost 30 CD points is enormous.

The argument you called idiotic was that things look better when you are winning. Not that Thomas is being carried and made to look good. It's just that maybe slightly, the team being so good across the board can make some players reputation become enhanced when isolated as they are in this poll.

Nah, it's still idiotic. Teams are made to look good because of their best players, not the other way around. You can re-phrase it whichever way you like, it doesn't change the underlying argument. Fact is, when a guy is clearly one of the top 3 players in a team that is wrecking s**t, he deserves every bit of his reputation.

Your argument is even sillier given Dustin Martin, playing in a team just as bad as the Bulldogs, was winning a poll against Dane Swan.

CD points aren't the be all and end all. Each formula like that has it's flaws.

Thomas gets the ball more and takes more marks than Higgins, setting more play up around the midfield. Higgins is more dangerous around goals, both kicking and setting them up. Thomas kicks his fair share of goals too, and Higgins still gets plenty of the ball.

This argument can only continue going around in circles.

Interesting turns in this thread.

Higgins started out clearly the better player, was overtaken by Thomas and now once again he's clearly the better player (on much less coin too).

Both have had serious injuries which ruined their 2013s (and every other year for Higgins) but are now entrenched in their sides.

Interesting turns in this thread.

Higgins started out clearly the better player, was overtaken by Thomas and now once again he's clearly the better player (on much less coin too).

Both have had serious injuries which ruined their 2013s (and every other year for Higgins) but are now entrenched in their sides.

Haha, just no.

Haha, just no.

Read the thread, that is how it has panned out.

Higgins has been one of our best players this year and is improving every week while Thomas has stagnated. Injuries cannot be an excuse given Higgins has had similar issues (the same injury your ex-captain has now most recently).

s**t bump. Higgins has gone missing in almost every single game he has played this year. Starts brilliantly, then after half time he turns completely invisible. Thomas is clearly still unfit and has now injured his shoulder to boot.

When both are fully fit, I'd still take Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back