Analysis Damian Barrett. A cretin, moron, a grinning idiot or a mixture of all three. You decide.

Is Damian Barrett a cretin, a moron, a grinning idiot or a mixture of all three?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we really need this thread?

It just seems nasty and pointless.
The blokes on a 6 figure sum. I place youngsters who beg for jobs and would get sacked prior to their probation period ending if they fail and with that earn less than 10 dollars an hour. It takes a lot to get me riled but utensil heads like this bloke are writing sheer and utter nonsense to the delight of the multitudes. Sorry if you are not happy but the reality is that pretentious gits like Damo can write insufferable nonsense such as that and then survive is a ******* insult to hard working people. Screw him and his faux opinion.

The blokes on a 6 figure sum. I place youngsters who beg for jobs and would get sacked prior to their probation period ending if they fail and with that earn less than 10 dollars an hour. It takes a lot to get me riled but utensil heads like this bloke are writing sheer and utter nonsense to the delight of the multitudes. Sorry if you are not happy but the reality is that pretentious gits like Damo can write insufferable nonsense such as that and then survive is a ******* insult to hard working people. Screw him and his faux opinion.

That's a hard sell right now, John.

Okay whatever. You want to have a thread dedicated to abusing someone, knock yourself out. Just bear in mind this sort of stuff has a tendency to spread.

Okay whatever. You want to have a thread dedicated to abusing someone, knock yourself out. Just bear in mind this sort of stuff has a tendency to spread.

What about the Andrew Hamilton thread?

I'm not sure why people get so worked up about football journalists. They're paid to write stories and keep people interested in the sport. They'll seize on anything no matter how small and beat it up to keep an insatiable football public happy. Most are essentially football fans who are lucky enough to get paid for their obsession and like the majority football fans they have biases and as such they'll speculate, pontificate and exaggerate to varying degrees. Sometimes they'll actually present facts too.

They just have a forum that reaches more widely than the rest of us and occasionally a football contact will come through for them.

Just take most things they write and say with a grain of salt. Treat them like most other Big Footy posters in other words. ;)

I'm not sure why people get so worked up about football journalists. They're paid to write stories and keep people interested in the sport. They'll seize on anything no matter how small and beat it up to keep an insatiable football public happy. Most are essentially football fans who are lucky enough to get paid for their obsession and like the majority football fans they have biases and as such they'll speculate, pontificate and exaggerate to varying degrees. Sometimes they'll actually present facts too.

They just have a forum that reaches more widely than the rest of us and occasionally a football contact will come through for them.

Just take most things they write and say with a grain of salt. Treat them like most other Big Footy posters in other words. ;)
FWIW I know that. This was done as a bit of Grand Final "fun", for want of a better word. Be that as it may they do influence people in all manner of ways and should be more circumspect as to their work. I know that as a history teacher you would not like to see historical events taught incorrectly in the context of dates of events, quotes etc. The quote he made in the item posted is hardly an "it is understood" throwaway but an accusation that the club has been mouthing off about the recruitment of 2 specific individuals and also on the biggest footy site in the country.

With that though this is hardly going to change the world so with that it joins the other 90% of nonsense around here. I plead guilty as charged on that one.

Here you go John.

I write reams of this s**t every day,
I'm not the only one either!
Where the hype comin' from Brotherman Brotherman
Where the hype comin' from Brotherman Brotherman
Sitting in the courtyard with Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
Where the heat comin' from Brotherman Brotherman
Uncle Sam
Here in the courtyard with Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
You're just feeling some of the magic
But you're feelin' it
This is just some of the magic
I write reams of this s**t every day
But you're feelin' it
Where's the heat coming from Brotherman Brotherman
Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
Very uncomfortable… but you're feelin' it
Very uncomfortable… but you're feelin' it
Where the hype coming from Brotherman Brotherman
Out there in the courtyard with Uncle Sam
Where the heat coming from Brotherman Brotherman
An' is it gonna get me
It's just part of the magic
Very uncomfortable…but you're feeling it
Very uncomfortable…but you're feeling it
I write reams of this s**t every day
Is it gonna get me
Is it gonna get me
When is it gonna get me

See above to Roylion. What's the hard sell by the way? Curious.

Slightly tongue in cheek, but when you're in the middle of a pretty nasty rant against a journalist for some comments he's made it doesn't ring true to say you don't easily get riled up.

It's probably true more broadly, but in that moment it's hard to believe it.

Be that as it may they do influence people in all manner of ways and should be more circumspect as to their work.

That is true. I guess like people who believe everything they read on the Internet, there are those who believe everything they read in newspapers, especially opinion pieces masquerading as fact. That's the unfortunate aspect of their work; that they can unduly influence public perception. And perception is not always fact. Mike Sheahan was a classic example of that.

I know that as a history teacher you would not like to see historical events taught incorrectly in the context of dates of events, quotes etc.

Of course. But I wouldn't say I'm preaching to an insatiable football public either, nor paid to generate news or controversy. ;)

The quote he made in the item posted is hardly an "it is understood" throwaway but an accusation that the club has been mouthing off about the recruitment of 2 specific individuals and also on the biggest footy site in the country.

Journalists such as Barrett and Ralph want things to happen and happen quickly. If it doesn't, they speculate or make snide remarks in their commentary about what clubs should or shouldn't be doing. I remember Tony de Bolfo and Patrick Smith being almost catatonic at the lack of information coming out Fitzroy and North Melbourne during merger discussions.

Slightly tongue in cheek, but when you're in the middle of a pretty nasty rant against a journalist for some comments he's made it doesn't ring true to say you don't easily get riled up.

It's probably true more broadly, but in that moment it's hard to believe it.
I promise you I was hardly riled. I shook my head at worst and thought "don't you ever let a chance go by". Stupid song is now ringing in my head. Wish it would Rak off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try being an Essendon supporter with this muppet "reporting" his opinion as fact.

Being Essendon supporter hard it is - muppet reporting harder it makes as fact his opinion he quotes.

(and yes I know you must be sooooo sick of people doing this to your posts by now)

I'm sure he was writing for the Courier Mail as Hammo's predecessor years ago (Says a lot really) but he wasn't the idiot he is now. Sometimes by the expression on his face I'm sure Gary Lyon is just looking at him and thinking "you're a dipstick mate!".

What is it with these "journos" like Barrett and Hamilton covering Queensland footy that every second article is unnecessarily negative. Others like Mike Whiting are able to write more objectively and deliver the news without pushing personal agendas or distorting facts in order to sensationalize.

That is true. I guess like people who believe everything they read on the Internet, there are those who believe everything they read in newspapers, especially opinion pieces masquerading as fact. That's the unfortunate aspect of their work; that they can unduly influence public perception. And perception is not always fact. Mike Sheahan was a classic example of that.

Hang on just a cottonpickin' second here!

Are you saying that NOT everything that is written on the internet is true?

Geez you have become a presence on this board. Who are you again?

On the other hand, if Big John wants to start a thread, I say embrace it. Why question John?

Back