Toast Dan Richardson

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I'm definitely sold on his abilities of retaining our guns , but its his capabilities in getting a gun over and tapping people on the shoulder
Newman Petterd tap tap
Foley 2 yr deal only and Hampson Knights should have been one year deals bc of their risks
If we go from 2013 there have been some misses and people forget we nearly signed off a first rounder for Trengrove
Early two yr extension of Dh contract. Looking to be ok ATM based on performance,but has been shaky
Paid big bucks to do his job and is still not going as good as I would like
Just my opinion as I don't see what all the noise is about as top notch players generally stay unless the afl gets involved in some sneaky deal

I'm definitely sold on his abilities of retaining our guns , but its his capabilities in getting a gun over and tapping people on the shoulder
Newman Petterd tap tap
Foley 2 yr deal only and Hampson Knights should have been one year deals bc of their risks
If we go from 2013 there have been some misses and people forget we nearly signed off a first rounder for Trengrove
Early two yr extension of Dh contract. Looking to be ok ATM based on performance,but has been shaky
Just my opinion as I don't see what all the noise is about as top notch players generally stay unless the afl gets involved in some sneaky deal
Do you have any idea who Dan Richardson is? :p

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
Newman Petterd tap tap

You're a hard man to please TI, are you sure DH contract is handled by Dan? i would have thought that decision would be made by someone above him....

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Isn't he one that the "sack everyone" brigade think should be sacked because of his inability to ensure we get a big fish?
Don't think so at all if it was it would have been in clubs words very few vocal bf posters.:) He has done a good job considering the high turnover of players over the last few years.

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
That wasn't the point of the post. I just reckon we need to be bringing ready-made talent in from outside of the draft while Deledio & Maric are still playing decent footy. Dan talked up a massive war-chest to spend on a big signing the past 2 years, but nothing was done in trade week both years. Now is the time to bring in a Dangerfield or Treloar type. It could be the difference between just making finals & being a genuine flag contender. Think big :thumbsu:
The thing is we don't know if and who they went for in the last 2 years. It may be the case that those we chased didn't want to come to us.

Don't think so at all if it was it would have been in clubs words very few vocal bf posters.:) He has done a good job considering the high turnover of players over the last few years.

It's a few posters running that thread ;)

The slag was as a former manager he is unqualified for this job, and he is overpaying for spuds on our list which is why e can't get anyone decent.

What does dan have to do with recruiting? I thought his job was looking after the playing group business like.

He is the boss of FJ and Blair, but most importantly he has the overall responsibility of the health and direction our list is going in

This is why he's responsible for all renegotiations with players, but he's also responsible for creating the cap space needed to chase any player or free agent

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
He is the boss of FJ and Blair, but most importantly he has the overall responsibility of the health and direction our list is going in

This is why he's responsible for all renegotiations with players, but he's also responsible for creating the cap space needed to chase any player or free agent
Yes thats true making space but it's not his job to tell the recruiters who to get. They go to him and say we are thinking of going after this player, how much can we offer to fit him in and then dan does his magic and comes up with a figure.

Yes thats true making space but it's not his job to tell the recruiters who to get. They go to him and say we are thinking of going after this player, how much can we offer to fit him in and then dan does his magic and comes up with a figure.

You've got it the wrong way arounf

You can't chase danger and then hope to have the money there. You have to make the gap, and that's through a combination of hard renegotiations, delistings,and trades

He is the one who approves what these guys are doing to

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
You've got it the wrong way arounf

You can't chase danger and then hope to have the money there. You have to make the gap, and that's through a combination of hard renegotiations, delistings,and trades

He is the one who approves what these guys are doing to
What did my message contain that has it wrong you been drinking this early m8:D i said recruiters go to him and say we going after this player how much can we offer and then dan goes does his figures. isn't that what you are trying to say also i mean i hope me coffee hasn't hit me that hard.:eek:

Last edited:

Stigmata

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Needs to sign grimes next

Certainly doing a great job

Not sure who did it but club should also be congratulated for letting young Dunkley rehab with us, be amazing if we somehow snared him

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Dan is doing a good job. Like others have said, the previous list decisions were so reactive they ****ed our TPP. Just look at Foleys deal. IMO Dan has done exactly what was needed, had the balls and forced the club to have the balls to be willing to lose a quality player if they dont choose there real value, Dustys is a perfect example of that. Once that happened and the playing group saw it, they all jumped on board.

His one weakness IMO is that we as a club administration which includes Dan are still way to conservative in our actions to land a quality player. We are very strict on what we will pay, which makes us easily brought out of negotiations aka Adams went to the pies, yes Shaw had a bit to do with that but if our cash was attractive enough for Adams to actually nominate us, well shaw would have been traded for another player on GWS list.

That is just my opinion, Dan may very well be acting this way, ie conservative because he has too. Bottom line, he is the perfect man for the job.

He couldn't get the coveted signature of Tommy Derickx. Sack him

Just get him to stand in front of Adam Goodes, he'll sack him:p

We 'lost' Matt White to Free Agency ;)

Dam !!! I was trying to forget that. You saved me from sending that into TT. You stopped me from Banarrissing myself, cheerso_O

What did my message contain that has it wrong you been drinking this early m8:D i said recruiters go to him and say wet going after this player how much can we offer and then dan goes does his figures. isn't that what you are trying to say also i mean i hope me coffee hasn't hit me that hard.:eek:

You need to go back a few steps, because it doesn't work like that anymore

You need the list to be balanced for roles, development, and for funding. If each arm acts on their own, you get the age imbalances we had under Wallace, the wage imbalances under Spud, or the key deficiencies we have constantly had (ie no inside mids)

Richos job is to be like a conductor. He manages all those streams so when they unite it creates the list outcome he needs.

So he identifies the deficiencies, and tasks the recruiters with filling these, not the other way around

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Dan is doing a good job. Like others have said, the previous list decisions were so reactive they stuffed our TPP. Just look at Foleys deal. IMO Dan has done exactly what was needed, had the balls and forced the club to have the balls to be willing to lose a quality player if they dont choose there real value, Dustys is a perfect example of that. Once that happened and the playing group saw it, they all jumped on board.

His one weakness IMO is that we as a club administration which includes Dan are still way to conservative in our actions to land a quality player. We are very strict on what we will pay, which makes us easily brought out of negotiations aka Adams went to the pies, yes Shaw had a bit to do with that but if our cash was attractive enough for Adams to actually nominate us, well shaw would have been traded for another player on GWS list.

That is just my opinion, Dan may very well be acting this way, ie conservative because he has too. Bottom line, he is the perfect man for the job.

IMO it's the best thing about Dan. Coming from a player management background he knows better then the players the exact worth of a guy.

Adams is good but he ain't 400k good (he might be) same with Greenwood.

I have been quite critical of the club this year in some areas (should have traded for Garlett and 2013 draft was terrible for mature agers) but 70-80% of the time they get it right.

Very few clubs have that kind of success rate.

Credit to Dan for keeping the list together, but he simply must land a quality free agent (not 'delisted' either) this off-season. Putting the delisted Miles & Hunt pickups aside, the Hampson trade cannot be the only move the man makes in 3 years.

I'd swap the emphasis here. Simply must keep the list together.

I rate re-signing Rance as big as Sydney snagging Franklin. Can't think of a single free agent that would be a better get for us than Rance.

Besides, we've spent years and millions of bucks on the current group. It's a big investment. Simply keeping them together, keeping the spirit, seems to be working. When they play well, they really look like they play for each other. (Different story when we play poorly...)

Landing a quality free agent would be cream on top.

So, for mine, Richardson is doing a good job.

Isn't he one that the "sack everyone" brigade think should be sacked because of his inability to ensure we get a big fish?

Richardson would have to be part of the Selection Committee, as GM of Football, wouldn't he? Plenty of posters struggle with selection every week, not just the squeaky wheels.

This is indicative of our club, not Dan, but I refer to it as being cheap and is my main gripe with the club. Yes it's really good to be conservative across all facets of the Football and Administration Departments but at a certain point you have to realise that you can't do it all the time. It comes down to the saying, "You need to spend money to make money." We haven't really been tested by this yet, so it will be interested when/if we can land a big name player from another club in a disproportionate salary to club policy. Will players get upset that they've taken cuts and another player gets big money or will they accept that money has nothing to do with it and it's all about results.

Going to be interesting.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Letting white go was a mistake.

Other than that he has certainly shown an ability to retain our stars. Not an easy job with free agency and a heap of cashed up clubs desperate for success

I would love to see him be able to attract a star to the club. The jury is still out on that one.

Back