Dane Swan doesn't give a ....

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't believe the op got one reply, let alone 7 pages. Realise now I read it wrong. Swanny couldn't give a rats arse about this thread. Right there with Swanny.

I think you will notice most sticking up for Swan or discussing the possibility of injury being the cause.

Cheers thanks mate I couldn't
Find any injury news and thought he had a good pre season

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-16/star-magpie-winged
Swan out of contact training until February

Swan had glandular fever before Christmas and missed a couple of weeks of training. Then there was the ankle trouble that held up his summer running. And of course he had wrist surgery.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/whats-wrong-with-key-magpies-20140407-zqrxn.html#ixzz2yU0xRkyw

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree Swanny is injured - its that rather than couldn't give a s**t.

Swanny loves to be the laid back dude who looks like he doesnt give a stuff, but you don't perform at that sustained level by not giving a s**t.

Amateur hour psychology, but I reckon facades like this stem from a fear of failure that many people have to varying degrees.

That is, if you don't make it in your chosen field, rather than you coming to terms with being not good enough, it's way easier to say, yeah I didn't quite get to the top but then, I never really did give it my all. These people go out of their way to give others that impression, so that the 'excuse' can be pulled out if and when necessary.

It may be that Swanny is subconsciously holding back just a tiny bit, to fit into the character of his public persona, if so would be pretty sad, given that he he now has absolutely no reason to fear failure, and he may be limiting his full effectiveness in a small way as a result.

But people are all different and complex and continually amaze and perplex you.

Guess there'll be a few amazed and perplexed by this post! It's probably all crap anyway :)

Very well said! Spot on the money.

Bring_Back_Brad

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Swan is injured, end of story.
We saw him wincing and pulling up sore in the prematch warm up even.
He was moving very slowly.
He's not running as hard, he doesn't have his trademark explosive 15m run where he burns off an opponent.
The club has clearly decided that having him at 75% is better than other depth options at the moment but don't want to give up what the injury is for fear of it being exploited.

maace

Senior List
Aug 13, 2013
Shanghai
AFL Club
Collingwood
It looks like he's pulled a groin injury.. Only time will tell (tonight's game) whether he holds up well or not.

Aed0s

All Australian
Sep 21, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I really hope swanny bounces back like Buckley wishes him too. I'm pretty sure we all do.

I checked the team starting lineup on afl.com and it shows him in the midfield. I hope he can have a larger impact on the game this week, but I don't want to see him playing sore or with an injury, a situation can come about where he can aggravate whatever groin injury he may well indeed be playing through.

Good luck today swanny.

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he is injured rest him and let him get over it if not boost the VFL crowds and let him play a few games at Vic Park!

Still looked a bit ginger. Saw him pull out or hobble after a couple of contests and did look like the problem was the groin.

Nov 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Sorry to disagree guys (and girls), but I am a fan of Swanny (and Bucks), and either Swanny isn't fit or he is woefully out of form. I can't comment on the first game against Freo, but the last 2 weeks he has been a dead weight. If Bucks really wants to send the right message to our playing group Swanny either needs to be rested or he needs to go back to the VFL and carve up. Playing him after those last 2 performances says that it is acceptable if you are an established star. Everyone has to be selected on current output or it becomes one rule for some and another rule for the others, and that can only damage our side. Yes he did look disinterested but I don't believe that can be an accurate assessment. If he plays in the ones next week I may be forced to modify my thoughts on Bucks (gosh I hope not), that performance just wasn't good enough to warrant selection next week. Personally I think that he doesn't have a groin injury, I actually think it's a shoulder problem. I recall him last weeks walking around after a heavy collision early in the game with his right (?) arm hanging limp and if so that would explain his lack of desire to tackle, reach up for the overhead ball or run/accelerate away from clearances at the pace that we are used to seeing. As I have already said he either needs rest or a stint (hopefully for one game only) in the 2s. Champion or not I would expect him to know this and accept this decision from Bucks and I would expect Bucks to make that call if he is the coach that I think he is.
By the way Fasolo in the backline has the potential to be the next Jordan Russell, (if he improves a bit)either play him forward or send him back to the VFL until he figures out what the h*ll he is doing.

Words eaten on both players, nuff said, I know when I'm proven wrong!!!!!!!

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Had a horror preseason and his fitness is down and so is his form, once he gets a few games under his belt he will continue to improve as he gets his fitness base up.

The groin injury excuse is crap, everyone asked about it from CFC have denied it and making a player play with a groin injury is the height of stupidity unless it's a grand final, they will be crap all game and make the injury far worse in the process...

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Body language is interesting towards the end of the 3rd he was benched and our Coach was there and not a word or a glance or a pat on the back was said/made between the two!

obleex

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Body language is interesting towards the end of the 3rd he was benched and our Coach was there and not a word or a glance or a pat on the back was said/made between the two!

It's a good thing they're not playing Auskick then.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'm certain he is carrying an injury and likely a groin by watching him last night.

If he is playing through an injury I think the thread title is well off.

Was definitely an improved output tonight; looked to be moving more freely early on.

Maybe more freely than the previous week, but he still looked limited to me.

SnakePlisskin

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still dont think that he's congratulating his team-mates after goals. He needs to do some of that during midweek training. I'd probably give him a week or two in the reserves to get his attitude right...
Wrist surgery has prevented him from highfiving , I'd say a few more weeks and he'll be playing patty cake with the best of them.....

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
We had the exact same thread last year. He's allowed a slow start after wrist surgery, picking up the ball is quite obviously a struggle at the moment for him. His mannerisms make him look like he doesn't care but he clearly loves the club and probably moreso loves playing footy and winning.

I personally like the way he goes about it, it obviously works for him. Keep it up Swanny!

Back