• Swan

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • Pendlebury

Votes: 58 49.2%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 28 23.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles may have about 5-6 best and fairests before he gives it away which would probably make him top 5 / 10 in our history.

I guess it's like asking to choose between Elle and Cindy Crawford. It's who you prefer really. Both different but both very good (even now let alone in their day)!

I think Pendles is better. Uses it better and tackles better. Swan is a machine but can have 30+ touches without much influence. Pendles gets 30 and it's a bona fide domination.

Pendlebury looks like being more consistent over a longer period of time, (not saying Swan wasn't) but Swan at his best was more damaging (not saying Pendlebury isn't. I'd take Bucks over them both any day of the week though. He should have a premiership next to his name:(.

In cricketing terms this is Steve Waugh vs Mark Waugh (it was only on Saturday that I called Pendlebury the "Mark Waugh of footy") . Both guys totally different - one a gutsy player who gets on top through force of will and the other a beautiful player to watch who seems to have seconds more than any other player under pressure.

The Waugh brothers ended up with raw stats that were virtually identical but you wouldn't find two more different players to look at. Same here I reckon.

If forced I'd say at the end of his career Pendles might get the gong but only just - more so if he captains a flag.

My immediate reaction was to choose Swan but on reflection I wish I could take it back and go with "Can't decide". My brain hurts way too much just thinking about it but I guess the reason why my first reaction was to choose Swan was that if they both quit AFL right now I'd probably have him marginally ahead but that's not the question is it? On reading the question again, it's asking me to predict what will happen in the future and the reality is that I left my crystal ball somewhere and can't find it.

Swany for me, he reminds me a little like Greg Williams. They both looked slow and unfit yet were ball magnets and brownlow medalists.
Im just glad we've got Pendlebury and Swan because without them we'd be rubbish! .

I would say Swans best games are more damaging then what Pendles has produced to date.

Close call but Pendles just doesn't quite hit the score board as much only part of his game yhat he could improve on and if he does would be the better of the 2.

Swanny..... No. Pendles.

Pendles..... No. Swanny.

Swendles?

Both have been a massive help to each other over the journey. And both really are polar opposites as player. Both are very complimentary to eachother and it's fair to say each had made the other a better player for it.

I wonder if ed and our lab are creating a swendles hybrid as we speak. That would be the perfect player.

Pendlebury is a better kick
Pendlebury is a better handball
Pendlebury has far more awareness to the point of almost never being caught, even in traffic
Pendlebury is a better kick for goal
Pendlebury has better disposal efficiency
Pendlebury is a better mark
Pendlebury has a better looking better half
Pendlebury has far more impact more often in more games

Swan is.....faster?

Pendlebury is better than Swan in just about every measurable metric of our game. To suggest Swan is better is borderline lunacy.

Swan has an extra gear that Pendles doesn't have. The ability to kick goals from midfield.

Factually incorrect. In fact, I believe they've both kicked 4 in a match playing from the midfield. As in, without being rested forward. Pendlebury has done it to Geelong so many times over the years I've lost count.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Swanny but take nothing away from Pendles who 'could' overtake him once both their careers are over.

Like Mateyman said, people often get clouded in their judgement with their views on a player with what's going on in the current. Swan obviously in the twilight of his footy where as Pendles is currently somewhere in his prime.

But Swans game on the weekend (where he was BOG for us), he was doing it every week in a monster 5 year period. 2010 and 2011 made him a great. Pendles hasn't quite had a monster season like those two years Swan had..... yet.

Swanny had blistering pace, still moves well to this day. Ball winning beast and the rare talent of kicking goals from the midfield. He is also massively underrated in the air. Reads the ball so well.

Pendles the contested possession, silky smooth user of the pill. May not get the ball 35+ times but his 25-30 are never wasted. Tall and plenty of tools.

Both legends.

I voted for Pendles; almost superhuman in his consistency.

Swan does have that explosive burst which might be the only thing Pendles lacks. He compensates with the freaky ability to create space and time.

Love both.

Swan in 2010/2011 was just pure jizz.

Would have to say Pendlebury though, for his consistency pretty much from his 2nd season to today. Only has about 1 bad game per season

Where do they rank to bucks?
Sorry but neither touch Nathan Buckley. He pretty much dominated from his first game onwards and even on his last legs in 07 was our most important player. His kicking was just something else. If he played in a good team he'd probably be considered one of the GOAT.

Norm Smith medal in a losing side is as big an endorsement as you can get. You'd rather the premiership medallion though...

Pendles has worked out how to do the Selwood. Swan hasn't shown he can do that in a game yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex just tips the scales in Pendles favour. :D

In all seriousness, Swanny is the true old school clever footballer and accumulator who gets everything out of himself. Pendles is the new school taller, classier player who makes the games look easy at times, although I am sure it isn't for him.

I have to just lean to preferring Pendles as there are things he does, which I don't think many others could do.

However if I was a footballer, I would definitely be more like Swanny (just nowhere near as good).

Before Swan's run of injuries he was a great mark. I can remember him always winning one on one wrestling battles and taking a one hander or the late diving mark.

Swan in his prime thrived because they team played around/for him, even pendles. Swans dash made a lot of players look better. He was getting tagged more than Pendles.

Now it's Pendles time at #1 and the style of play has changed. They capped the interchange to stop Swan. Maybe they'll cap the number of minutes Pendles can play on field to stop him!

apologies that was 2015 v 2011 for swanny/pendles
. this is career avg table and you cant split them imo. Previous comments apply
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...id1=491&tid2=5&pid2=1611&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C
Player Statistics Comparison
Dane Swan Name Scott Pendlebury
Collingwood Magpies Team Collingwood Magpies
Midfield, Forward Position Midfield
243 Career Games 199
Calder Cannons Origin Gippsland Power
February 25, 1984 Date of Birth January 7, 1988
31yr 2mth Age 27yr 4mth
185cm Height 191cm
93kg
Weight 91kg
2001 National Draft Last Drafted In 2005 National Draft