Player Watch Dane Swan (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

He had bloody surgery on his wrist.
It's quite obvious that he cannot handle the ball properly.
He also cannot run and I read somewhere that he could hardly walk pre-season.

The surgery has had a major impact. A few guys have had it done at my club. One's nickname is paddles - he cannot take a mark overhead or in his hands to save himself. Another has brick wall hands.

It has had a major effect - his overhead marking has completely disappeared and he is almost up with there with Goldsack in terms of fumbling.

Having said that - it doesn't affect the way you go about it each week - desire, team first football, chase, tackle, put your body in, support your team mates.

Hasn't happened all year apart from Anzac Day.

Not sure why this is a Roast..

Dane has been a champion player for us for many years.
Clearly playing injured. Needs a rest.

Nothing clear about it.

I don't think too many people question his obvious dominance of the last 6-7 years. But now he's not and he's quickly fading. It MAY be injury, it MAY be desire. But it's a horrible tactic to keep him in the side if he's under performing as both a clearance player and a resting forward.

Nothing clear about it.

I don't think too many people question his obvious dominance of the last 6-7 years. But now he's not and he's quickly fading. It MAY be injury, it MAY be desire. But it's a horrible tactic to keep him in the side if he's under performing as both a clearance player and a resting forward.

Like i said. Why is this a Roast - Dane Swan thread then.
Buckley should be Roasted for that.

29 year olds don't lose speed over 6 months. There can be a gradual decline from here on out but it's just not possible to be able to burn players off over 20 metres to literally running on the spot.

its the reasoning of ppl like you, as to why didak was played long after he was shot, with a pectoral muscle. Swan has been average all year, his disposal count is down, his efficiency is down, it is ludacris that kmart isnt being played over him. He has had only one good game this year. Position is justified by present form not past history. Given his age, it is unlikely he will overcome groin and wrist problems which are contributing to his poor disposal and limited burst running (which was one of his real strengths)

I was replying to someone who implied he was never any good, and this year just proves they were right to never rate him. He shouldn't be playing at the moment, agree.

Like i said. Why is this a Roast - Dane Swan thread then.
Buckley should be Roasted for that.

29 year olds don't lose speed over 6 months. There can be a gradual decline from here on out but it's just not possible to be able to burn players off over 20 metres to literally running on the spot.

He was hobbling in rounds 1-6 wasn't he? Very possible he's over that injury but has lost power as a result.

Just send him for surgery if he needs it. There is no value playing him injured in the forward line. It just leaves us yet another player down
This. Get him right for next year, play Adams in the middle for a while and Kennedy a full game up forward at Cloke's feet. While we're at it, get Blair and Dwyer out and get games into Broomhead.

I think he has a leg injury, maybe a groin. The bits I saw of him yeserday, he had no sideways movement and could not explode off the mark or accelerate.

I think the fact that Swanny is playing mostly as a forward is a sign that the club has all the same concerns we do about his ability/form at the moment - whatever is going on, he is clearly very far from his best.

My bet as to why he stays is that we are just so short of quality experienced players, that it's hard to know who is going to be able to step up in any game... and with crucial games at the moment, it is hard deciding who should stay and who should go. (Based on most reviews here we should drop half of our 22).

I think he does need to be given a rest, but it's hard to pick when that should be done... usually I would say the week before/after the bye, but these two games are crucial.

He has to be playing injured! You don't lose the ability to kick 50 metres or run flat chat over one summer. He is fumbly, slow and he is deliberately chipping the pill even when he is within range because he has no power in his leg/groin. I am so tired of the different messages coming out of Collingwood. We are not blind. If he is 100% fit then it is the quickest fall from grace I have witnessed and he should be dropped.

And if he's carrying an injury, what's the big secret? Why not state what it is?

Swan is one of the greats of Collingwood. He has been elite for many years. AA last 5 seasosn. His decline this year is too quick to be just age. He needs to be cut some slack. He has runs on the board. I would not be against resting him if it was felt that may help but am also happy to accept he is playing with limitations but his best is still better than what the next can offer. Younger players need to earn their place. I don't have a problem with Broomhead being in the VFL. He didnt show anything in a short stint he had and waiting will make him grab his next chance if he is up to it

Still got his mad sense of humour;

BsfQtsFCMAEYYIe.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon said categorically that swans heels and wrists are buggered.

Basically said the denials coming out of the club is absolute rubbish.

Obviously has inside info.

Time to give him a long break to let off some steam in Vegas and a get a decent preseason done for one last crack next year before taking off the boots.

Lyon said categorically that swans heels and wrists are buggered.

Basically said the denials coming out of the club is absolute rubbish.

Obviously has inside info.

Time to give him a long break in Vegas and a decent preseason to recovery for one last good crack next year before putting up the boots.
He was clearly carrying something, I think even Ray Charles could see that.

Nice to hear some information on the topic, though

He has to be playing injured! You don't lose the ability to kick 50 metres or run flat chat over one summer. He is fumbly, slow and he is deliberately chipping the pill even when he is within range because he has no power in his leg/groin. I am so tired of the different messages coming out of Collingwood. We are not blind. If he is 100% fit then it is the quickest fall from grace I have witnessed and he should be dropped.
Fit or not he deserves to be dropped.
I Agree he must be injured and the guy deserves another year but currently he is not giving us anything onfield and needs a break.

Nothing clear about it.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has missed a game. If he does have some sort of injury then WTF are the selectors doing. Surely he would have been rested for a couple of games at least.

It's time that this guy got dumped. We've been demanding it for over a year now and I think it's time that we bite the bullet and delist him

What would Caro have to talk about on FC if we did that? You gotta throw a hack journo a bone every now and then somehow...

I assume your taking the piss !

oops.... i'm sorry, I actually typed that post a year ago on the computer in the second bedroom. I haven't used the computer since I wrote the post. I came in and saw the computer was on and I realised that I was still logged into BF and I just sent the post off by mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back