Player Watch Dane Swan (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Swanny right up there with the best score impacting midfielders in the game this season;

CNqMvHKUkAAfqk-.png:large

A couple of reasons this is misleading, it doesn't specify where they were playing whilst goals kick, so if they were resting forward or playing in the midfield. And there's only a 10 game minimum... ..

Thankfully knee injury from Friday was a medial ligament strain, not a tear. Dodged a bullet there, did the old warrior. :thumbsu:

Reckon Briso would swap Reddo for Swanno?

Smoky for the Brownlow and I think he wins our BnF

I'll be bitterly disappointed in our club if Nathan Brown doesn't win the BnF by a mile. I was hoping we were past the dark days of Licuria winning BnFs "just cos".

I'll be bitterly disappointed in our club if Nathan Brown doesn't win the BnF by a mile. I was hoping we were past the dark days of Licuria winning BnFs "just cos".

Not giving Swan enough credit this year

Not giving Swan enough credit this year

Probably not, never do normally, but Brown has easily been our most consistent player. I'm struggling to come up with 1 opponent who has beat him handily. I'm sure there IS one, but I for the life of me can't think of him. Defenders deserve more credit, especially in a backline that has been pounded for the majority of the year.

Reaching the twilight years of his career, along with the young gun midfield brigade at Collingwood in 2016, Collingwood have admitted quite clearly the Swannie will spend the majority of his time in 2016 in our forward line.

Still a major ball winner in 2015 all over the ground, now it appears in 2016 the majority of Swans possessions are going to be in our forward line. Locking the ball in, out muscling back pockets and back flanks and kicking sausage rolls.

Swan has a pretty good goal numbers over his career from his limited shots on goal due to being a midfielder. Kick 20+ goals in a season on 6 occasions with a career high of 32 in 2011.

Considering all of this... how many goals do you think Swannie will kick being solely a forward line player?

I would think he would at least double his goal output... which could seriously have him in contention to be our leading goal kicker..

3 a game?

Dare i say a Smoky for the Coleman???

Reaching the twilight years of his career, along with the young gun midfield brigade at Collingwood in 2016, Collingwood have admitted quite clearly the Swannie will spend the majority of his time in 2016 in our forward line.

Still a major ball winner in 2015 all over the ground, now it appears in 2016 the majority of Swans possessions are going to be in our forward line. Locking the ball in, out muscling back pockets and back flanks and kicking sausage rolls.

Swan has a pretty good goal numbers over his career from his limited shots on goal due to being a midfielder. Kick 20+ goals in a season on 6 occasions with a career high of 32 in 2011.

Considering all of this... how many goals do you think Swannie will kick being solely a forward line player?

I would think he would at least double his goal output... which could seriously have him in contention to be our leading goal kicker..

3 a game?

Dare i say a Smoky for the Coleman???
3 a game? 50+ goals.???Nah.
Make it 35 and a few more goal assists and he will be doing a fantastic job.
We will have more firepower then prev years so I expect a more even spread and a slight increase of our tally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swanny is not effective enough as a full time forward. He's only really effective when he rests there occasionally and can catch the opposition off guard. Will play up forward more because of our midfield rotation increased but should still play mainly as a midfielder and with Treloar comming off a limited pre-season I'd think Swan will spend allot of time in the midfield early this year.

3 a game? 50+ goals.???Nah.
Make it 35 and a few more goal assists and he will be doing a fantastic job.
We will have more firepower then prev years so I expect a more even spread and a slight increase of our tally.
Nathan Buckley disagrees with you.

Ok, let's get something straight, in my view only,
swan is an elite midfielder, as long as he is that, and his output shows that, he MUST play as many minutes there as possible.
Not sure why we would kill mid field eliteness with less impact.
Ofcourse if others pass him, different issue.

Pendlebury, Swan, Treloar the main acts
Support then from others including contested ball beast De Goey, Adams, Crisp, Greenwood the tough nut, Sidebackside, Aish, etc etc

My view is that Swan could be an effective forward, but he is too focussed on being a mid and around the ball that his effort levels and attitude often appears to drop away when he goes down there. Specifically remember him looking around at his team mates shrugging his shoulders saying I don't know what I'm doing here, when sent forward in the second half against Port over there in 2013. Undermines the coach and the team.

Good one Apex!!!

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-27/veteran-pie-swan-set-for-more-time-up-forward

"But there's no reason if he played more time forward that, with our improved midfield depth, he can't have 80-100 shots on goal every season. We're excited by that potential."

Nathan Buckley on Swan playing forward...
Yes. I read that too. And that would indeed translate in to 40-50 with a .5 accuracy. That ploy doesn't last whole season. Opposition will try to stop him after a few games. It will create opportunities for others. Overall we will score more with him in the fwd line. I am as thrilled by that prospect as anyone but more sceptical about its individual rewards for Swanny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back