Dangerfield coming to Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling we're in with a very good shot at Dangerfield. When you compare Geelong and Collingwood, we're surely on the rise with a great young team, where as you'd have to wonder at Geelong how long it is until they drop.

We have a crap load of cash available, and even if we pay him a million a year for 5 years, we'd also be in a position to pay the majority of that over the first 2-3 years, leaving plenty of cash to retain our young guns when their contracts are up for renewal.

Players we've lost over the last few years are plus minimum salary:
Thomas 500k+
Beams 500k+
Heater 400k+
Lamumba 400k+
Wellingham 350k+
Dawes 300k+
Others to retire are Didak, Jolly, Ball, Davis etc.
Plus Keeffe, Thomas and Young at the end of this year - all 3 would equal around the 1mil.

No doubt over the last cpl of years we would have been paying our current players more than their yearly salary to top up our cap (meaning we pay them less on the last few years of their contract - the same period we could pay Dangerfield 1.5mil a year).

So if we paid Dengerfield 1.5mil a year over the first 2 years of a 5 year 5mil contact, we'd only have to pay him around the 650k for the remaining 3.

Swans last year of contract is in 2016, so essentionally Dangerfield would be replacing him, and you'd think Swan would be on very good coin too.

F**k yeah, this will happen :)

I think we could still afford to get a Treloar if we wanted to use draft picks as well.

Imagine this team in 2016

Langdon Brown Reid
Scharenberg Frost Williams

Sidebottom Adams Greenwood
Grundy Pendles Dangerfield

Broomhead Cloke DeGoey
Elliott Witts Moore

Freeman, Swan, Crisp
Kennedy

Depth: Fasolo, Karnezis, Varcoe, Blair, Goldsack, Toovey, Seedsman, White, Gault, Ramsay etc...

Looking good :)

There is nothing that anyone can say that can ever come between Dave and Grundy.

It's the greatest romance that's ever been told.

Like Romeo and Juliet, like Samson and Delilah............but when they kiss.......ooh ooh........FIRE!

I have a feeling we're in with a very good shot at Dangerfield. When you compare Geelong and Collingwood, we're surely on the rise with a great young team, where as you'd have to wonder at Geelong how long it is until they drop.

We have a crap load of cash available, and even if we pay him a million a year for 5 years, we'd also be in a position to pay the majority of that over the first 2-3 years, leaving plenty of cash to retain our young guns when their contracts are up for renewal.

Players we've lost over the last few years are plus minimum salary:
Thomas 500k+
Beams 500k+
Heater 400k+
Lamumba 400k+
Wellingham 350k+
Dawes 300k+
Others to retire are Didak, Jolly, Ball, Davis etc.
Plus Keeffe, Thomas and Young at the end of this year - all 3 would equal around the 1mil.

No doubt over the last cpl of years we would have been paying our current players more than their yearly salary to top up our cap (meaning we pay them less on the last few years of their contract - the same period we could pay Dangerfield 1.5mil a year).

So if we paid Dengerfield 1.5mil a year over the first 2 years of a 5 year 5mil contact, we'd only have to pay him around the 650k for the remaining 3.

Swans last year of contract is in 2016, so essentionally Dangerfield would be replacing him, and you'd think Swan would be on very good coin too.

F**k yeah, this will happen :)

I think we could still afford to get a Treloar if we wanted to use draft picks as well.

Imagine this team in 2016

Langdon Brown Reid
Scharenberg Frost Williams

Sidebottom Adams Greenwood
Grundy Pendles Dangerfield

Broomhead Cloke DeGoey
Elliott Witts Moore

Freeman, Swan, Crisp
Kennedy

Depth: Fasolo, Karnezis, Varcoe, Blair, Goldsack, Toovey, Seedsman, White, Gault, Ramsay etc...

Looking good :)

In addition, I'm sure we've paid only 95% of the cap this year which allows us to pay 105% next year. So there's another million dollars free there. Someone mentioned Buckley stating we'd be making a play at a Free Agent at the end of 2015.

Between the 105% cap and Thomas, Keeffe and Young you have 2 million. The exit of Beams, Maxwell and Lamumba undoubtedly accounts for another 1.5 million there. We could quite easily fit in Dangerfield plus another gun like Treloar in cap terms.

Biggest no brainer in town. Financially would be well compensated now and be set up for a post footy career, our young list has great promise, especially if we did a double act and landed a Treloar or similar.

In addition, I'm sure we've paid only 95% of the cap this year which allows us to pay 105% next year. So there's another million dollars free there. Someone mentioned Buckley stating we'd be making a play at a Free Agent at the end of 2015.

Between the 105% cap and Thomas, Keeffe and Young you have 2 million. The exit of Beams, Maxwell and Lamumba undoubtedly accounts for another 1.5 million there. We could quite easily fit in Dangerfield plus another gun like Treloar in cap terms.

Biggest no brainer in town. Financially would be well compensated now and be set up for a post footy career, our young list has great promise, especially if we did a double act and landed a Treloar or similar.
Yeah totally agree. This would be my preferred option.

Only thing is with Keeffe as good as gone and now Reid having more issues, I think we'll draft a KPP first round in this years draft. I prefer the idea of Moore forward, as he has too many strings to his bow to be kept as a defender. Leaves us pretty light on key defenders though, particularly with Browns injury issues. Moore might have to start his career there, then move into attack when we have more stock in defence. Fingers crossed Reid recovers but I'm starting to think more and more that we can't rely on him unfortunately.

I really like Treloar, and have been on the bandwagon to get him. Problem is, we'd have to use our first pick to get him plus more. Do we do that and pass up on what we really need, a key defender? Our midfield and flank stocks are bursting with proven and potentional talent:

Pendles
Dangerfield (if we get him)
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams
Greenwood
DeGoey
Freeman
Kennedy
Crisp
Scharenberg
Elliott

This makes it even more logical to be throwing the house at Dangerfield. I'm not aware of any decent key defenders available via free agency?

Last edited:

Only thing is with Keeffe as good as gone and now Reid having more issues, I think we'll draft a KPP first round in this years draft. I prefer the idea of Moore forward, as he has too many strings to his bow to be kept as a defender. Leaves us pretty light on key defenders though, particularly with Browns injury issues. Moore might have to start his career there, then move into attack when we have more stock in defence.

I really like Treloar, and have been on the bandwagon to get him. Problem is, we'd have to use our first pick to get him plus more. Do we do that and pass up on what we really need, a key defender? Our midfield and flank stocks are bursting with proven and potentional talent:

Pendles
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams
Greenwood
DeGoey
Freeman
Kennedy
Crisp
Scharenberg
Elliott

This makes it even more logical to be throwing the house at Dangerfield. I'm not aware of any decent key defenders available via free agency?

I agree actually somewhat with this idea although I'd say we might want to try and get a key forward. However, if Moore is being earmarked for a forward position, I think we might be able to trade for a key defender at a reasonable cost as they are a lot more abundant. Frost I think can be a mainstay, or Brown while Reid still has years left.

So basically a lot is dependent on Moore shaping up as the prospective marquee tall to replace Cloke.

We'll need some cash to pay some of our youngsters when they next come out of contract. Off the top of my head: Broomy, Langdon, Frost, Grundy, Witts. They won't sign up for peanuts next time round, and nor should they. Elliott's (about to sign) new contract will almost certainly have a hefty pay increase. And that's before we factor others coming through, who haven't even played yet. Pies player payments would be planned years in advance, not just one or two. Very difficult balancing act. Might make a play for a 'Biggie' like Danger very problematic.

Only thing is with Keeffe as good as gone and now Reid having more issues, I think we'll draft a KPP first round in this years draft. I prefer the idea of Moore forward, as he has too many strings to his bow to be kept as a defender. Leaves us pretty light on key defenders though, particularly with Browns injury issues. Moore might have to start his career there, then move into attack when we have more stock in defence. Fingers crossed Reid recovers but I'm starting to think more and more that we can't rely on him unfortunately.

Pendles
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams
Greenwood
DeGoey
Freeman
Kennedy
Crisp
Scharenberg
Elliott

On the midfielders, you are right. Swan is really the only player likely to retire in the next two years. Broomhead you missed out on and he might be the best young one to rise up the pecking order. If we got Treloar and Dangerfield, we'd have a Brisbane 01-03 type midfield. You'd have Pendles, Swan, Dangerfield and Treloar - which would be unbelievable.

On the midfielders, you are right. Swan is really the only player likely to retire in the next two years. Broomhead you missed out on and he might be the best young one to rise up the pecking order. If we got Treloar and Dangerfield, we'd have a Brisbane 01-03 type midfield. You'd have Pendles, Swan, Dangerfield and Treloar - which would be unbelievable.
Stop it - it's too cold to get this excited.

Dangerfield and Treloar - Dreams made right there. Throw in a young KPP and we are on our way.

Last edited:
We'll need some cash to pay some of our youngsters when they next come out of contract. Off the top of my head: Broomy, Langdon, Frost, Grundy, Witts. They won't sign up for peanuts next time round, and nor should they. Elliott's (about to sign) new contract will almost certainly have a hefty pay increase. And that's before we factor others coming through, who haven't even played yet. Pies player payments would be planned years in advance, not just one or two. Very difficult balancing act. Might make a play for a 'Biggie' like Danger very problematic.

I don't think so Vicky. Think of it this way, we've lost Thomas and Beams and Swan only has a few more years left. Dangerfield is by no means the equivalent of those 3 in pay terms, in fact Dangerfield and Treloar would probably be about the correct weight in wage terms.

We've lost Didak, Jolly, Ball, Maxwell, Lamumba, Dawes, Wellingham and possibly Keeffe, Thomas and Young this year. I think what they open up in cap space very easily accounts for pay increases to our next wave - some of whom are already locked away.

We should buy The Rock (not Tom, the wrestler) who Treloar has a man-crush on. Lock him in a golden cage in the Westpac Centre and Treloar can stroke him anytime he likes.*

*left deliberately ambigious
How funny was that interview, Treloar was like a giddy school girl wetting his pants.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definitely don't think we have an issue with the cap in getting Dangerfield and another gun player.

The thought of Dangerfield and Trealor is making me salivate! Is Trealor out of contract or something or does he want to come to Victoria? I thought that was Shiel that wanted to?

We should buy The Rock (not Tom, the wrestler) who Treloar has a man-crush on. Lock him in a golden cage in the Westpac Centre and Treloar can stroke him anytime he likes.*

*left deliberately ambigious
Buy him? We already own him.

938648-pie-eyed.jpg

I definitely don't think we have an issue with the cap in getting Dangerfield and another gun player.

The thought of Dangerfield and Trealor is making me salivate! Is Trealor out of contract or something or does he want to come to Victoria? I thought that was Shiel that wanted to?

Shiel and Treloar are both out of contract at the end of this season. I know that Shiel keeps changing his mind on whether he wants to return home to Melbourne or continue on in Sydney. Either way, these 2 lads will be well compensated when they sign their next contract.

Danger is a restricted free agent and out of contract. The only thing we will need to give up is salary cap space if he decides to come to us. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that one.

You can actually generate your own talent and also get good players from other clubs at the same time. To not take part in a process (e.g free agency) and limit ourselves to only 'generating our own' to improve our list, when other clubs are using other available avenues, would be to accept being near the bottom for lengthy periods of time.

Beams left whilst contracted - it is not as you say the same as Dangerfield (not that I was critical of Beams for leaving).
I did say we need to develop our own talent and look at external options.

My point is giving up salary cap space limits our ability to retain some of the top 10 and first round selections we have on our list currently. I would think it better to see how these guys: DeGoey, Freeman, Moore, Adams, Scharenberg etc. develop over this year as we may have the talent already on our list for a full tilt in 2016.

Would absolutely welcome Dangerfield to Collingwood but only if it makes sense and we don't have to give up any talent through a cap squeeze.

On the Beams deal, it was more about the loyalty than the contractual position of each individual. It will be just as tough for Crows supporters to lose a Dangerfield as for most of us to have Beams walk out the door. I admire the position Tex took with Adelaide, that said I have no issues with players managing their careers.

Would honestly prefer Rory Sloane. Not only do I feel he's a better footballer (and "better" does not equal "more exciting to watch"), but I feel he'd compliment our midfield much better with his tackling, clearance work and overall workrate.

Grundy, Pendlebury and Adams the followers, Sloane in the centre, Swan and Sidebottom on the wings. Sounds like a very good starting midfield to me.

Sloane isn't eligible for FA though as far as I'm aware.

I just don’t see that Witts is Better then Grundy, Witts might have better Tap Work and Can Take a Mark Forward(Grundy Can Too) but Witts is not that Great around the Ground. Grundy is way better then Witts around the Ground and when the Ball Leaves the Ruck Contest

That's just your personal bias talking Dave, very little between them, Witts probably slightly ahead based on senior form.

My point is giving up salary cap space limits our ability to retain some of the top 10 and first round selections we have on our list currently. I would think it better to see how these guys: DeGoey, Freeman, Moore, Adams, Scharenberg etc. develop over this year as we may have the talent already on our list for a full tilt in 2016.

Would absolutely welcome Dangerfield to Collingwood but only if it makes sense and we don't have to give up any talent through a cap squeeze.

On the Beams deal, it was more about the loyalty than the contractual position of each individual. It will be just as tough for Crows supporters to lose a Dangerfield as for most of us to have Beams walk out the door. I admire the position Tex took with Adelaide, that said I have no issues with players managing their careers.
I'd say over the past year or two, we've front loaded most of our current player contracts, add another million to us probably only using up 95% of our cap this year, plus another 1m for Keeffe, Thomas and Young at the end of this year, we will have plenty of cash for Dangerfield without losing players later on. When Swan retires in another year or two, that will free up further more.

Say we sign Dangerfield on a 6 year 1mil$ contract, totalling $6mil. Pay Dangerfield 2mil+ in his first year if it's available, 1.5 in his second... That's more than half his contract paid for in the first two years. Then his next 4 years will only be 625k a year, when at that time we'll be resigning our other young guns.

The club would surely have a 5 or even 10 year plan in relation to the cap and player payments. All the signs point to Dangerfield

Last edited:

I hear what you say regards Beams but it is a dog eat dog industry.

However, in my opinion the idea that Dangerfield would cost us too much or put pressure on the cap I think is a bit of a misnomer. If as you say one of the current kids gets to his level then they are going to cost us that anyway.

I'd rather grab the guy that is already at that level and manage the cap if the others get to that level than hope they do and risk not having anyone at that level. We had Lockett all but signed and changed our minds to allow Sav Rocca & Richardson to develop. In hindsight it was a big call to expect one of those players to become a once in a generation player like Lockett.

If we knock back Dangerfield to grow our own we are gambling on them becoming as good as him- a top 10 player in the comp. I'd rather the bird in the hand and then be in a position to manage our list than chase to upgrade our list if the guys don't work out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back