Dangerfield coming to Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a close to impossible task to get a captain to leave a club unless they're very unhappy (like Griffen last year). I doubt we could prize Rockliff from the lions if we tried. We should be good for big bodied mids for now anyway. Pendles and Crisp, with JDG and Freeman to come. Would rather the club concentrated on some outside class and KPP's.

2nd That. We still need more Depth at the KPP position and Classy Quick Outside Types

Someone else to look at (who will be out of contract at the end of the year, and will be a free agent, as this is his 8th season) is Scott Selwood. Fills needs through our midfield (defensive ability and tackling, while also being able to win a clearance and get footy around the ground), is a leader, and might be willing to return home.

Also, anyone think we should try and get in on the possible Carlton fire sale, and try and get Bryce Gibbs? I know he's not a "sexy" choice, but he's a skilled and well-rounded player, who can win a clearance and has become a very good tackler and defensive player through the middle, too (again, a big need of ours). We'd have to trade for him, but I think Carlton would be open if the right offer was there.

Someone else to look at (who will be out of contract at the end of the year, and will be a free agent, as this is his 8th season) is Scott Selwood. Fills needs through our midfield (defensive ability and tackling, while also being able to win a clearance and get footy around the ground), is a leader, and might be willing to return home.

I think the need for a defensive tackling midfielder is not a real weakness in our team anymore.

Crisp, Greenwood, Adams and De Goey are all defensive workers who love to tackle.

Sorry. Worst, post, ever.

I think the need for a defensive tackling midfielder is not a real weakness in our team anymore.

Crisp, Greenwood, Adams and De Goey are all defensive workers who love to tackle.

Scott Selwood is arguably the best tackler in the game though, and does it while amassing 20-25 disposals, too. He's also a leader (West Coast Vice Captain for the past two seasons), which we need more of as well.

Sorry. Worst, post, ever.

Why?

Also, anyone think we should try and get in on the possible Carlton fire sale, and try and get Bryce Gibbs? I know he's not a "sexy" choice, but he's a skilled and well-rounded player, who can win a clearance and has become a very good tackler and defensive player through the middle, too (again, a big need of ours). We'd have to trade for him, but I think Carlton would be open if the right offer was there.
Gibbs has just signed a long term contract on big coin. Not sure I'd want the club to be paying that kind of money for him. It's also highly doubtful that Carlton would want to trade him anyway. He's still relatively young at 26, and would likely still be around as a senior player in a rebuilt side in 3-4 years.

Aish? Dangerfield?

They're not worth it. To get Aish to Collingwood, he'd have to be put on a contract more than what he's worth. And having so many other guys in that age bracket not commanding that coin would make it detrimental to the team. To get Dangerfield to the Pies, what are we looking at? 900k - 1.1mil? More? I don't know if Pendlebury or Cloke are on that sort of money but I'd have both of them picked before Danger. I'd like him, but not at that price.

Shiel and Treloar are the ones that make you wonder. You might be able to pay them well and keep the TPP cap in check as well as the team happy, but you'd probably have to give up a lot, tradewise, to bring them in. Worth a look.

The one I want though is still Will Hoskin-Elliott. I haven't heard much about him lately, and given I don't see many GWS games I'm not sure what he's up to. But he's the type of guy, in my opinion, who would thrive in our development system with Swanny hopefully around for another year, Pendles there and some of the best mids of the past 25 years in Bucks, Harvey and Burnsy to learn from. I think he could be a version of Fyfe with half the tricks but better foot skills. And probably not as hard. Just needs a chance to blossom.

Aish? Dangerfield?

They're not worth it. To get Aish to Collingwood, he'd have to be put on a contract more than what he's worth. And having so many other guys in that age bracket not commanding that coin would make it detrimental to the team. To get Dangerfield to the Pies, what are we looking at? 900k - 1.1mil? More? I don't know if Pendlebury or Cloke are on that sort of money but I'd have both of them picked before Danger. I'd like him, but not at that price.

Shiel and Treloar are the ones that make you wonder. You might be able to pay them well and keep the TPP cap in check as well as the team happy, but you'd probably have to give up a lot, tradewise, to bring them in. Worth a look.

The one I want though is still Will Hoskin-Elliott. I haven't heard much about him lately, and given I don't see many GWS games I'm not sure what he's up to. But he's the type of guy, in my opinion, who would thrive in our development system with Swanny hopefully around for another year, Pendles there and some of the best mids of the past 25 years in Bucks, Harvey and Burnsy to learn from. I think he could be a version of Fyfe with half the tricks but better foot skills. And probably not as hard. Just needs a chance to blossom.
See you get the impression that all players from all clubs really rate Dangerfield. Players now understand that this sort of thing is happening and to lure the best players you have to pay top dollar. Plus your not actually paying 900k-1.1mil you are actually discarding someone on the list for Danger or instead of recruiting a Clinton Young type you are paying the difference of that contract you were going to offer, so technically you are actually paying anywhere between 400k-800k. Then think Carlton are paying 700k a year to Dale Thomas and you will take Dangerfield in a heartbeat.

See you get the impression that all players from all clubs really rate Dangerfield. Players now understand that this sort of thing is happening and to lure the best players you have to pay top dollar. Plus your not actually paying 900k-1.1mil you are actually discarding someone on the list for Danger or instead of recruiting a Clinton Young type you are paying the difference of that contract you were going to offer, so technically you are actually paying anywhere between 400k-800k. Then think Carlton are paying 700k a year to Dale Thomas and you will take Dangerfield in a heartbeat.

Lets not use a Carlton mistake logic to justify our spending

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be ok with getting any one of a number of GWS players, Treloar, Shiel, Hoskin Elliott, Whitfield, McCarthy to name a few.

edit: I just had a look at footywire and noticed both Treloar and Shiel run at close to 80% disposal efficency, they wouldn't fit in here :p

Pendlebury and Cloke would welcome Danger IMHO because it would significantly enhance there chances of winning another flag before they retire.

Neither are short on coin, winning flags is what it's all about now and being a multiple Collingwood premiership player would have it's own handsome rewards for the remainder of there days.

Being able to get a player of Dangerfield's ability smack bang in the prime of there careers and all for the cost of salary cap space with no trade required is a no brainer for me.

It's been more than 20 years since we landed Buckley our last truly big fish.

This time though with the abundance of young talent coming through this big fish will be in a big pond.

My view;

Aish is probably to hard and most likely in ads

Selwood just not sure is type we need

Henderson think would be excellent with Trav

Treloar, shiel and WHE would all be keen on

Gibbs no thanks just doesn't do enough in big games

Dangerfield absolutely. Costs you nothing as a FA

Suckling absolutely. Fixes a big issue for us and don't have to trade for

Prestia would be a yes but prefer others

I would prefer to get Cameron Wood than bryce gibbs

My view;

Pretty much concur with all this

My view;

I think this is the big selling point for the Danger man, not having to give up anything in return. If you can lock him down, you can shift your attention to trading for a Henderson, alleviating some of the KPP concerns through trade.

I like it, it's bold and a little risky betting a lot of cash on a quality player but we could see a massive reward.

I would be ok with getting any one of a number of GWS players, Treloar, Shiel, Hoskin Elliott, Whitfield, McCarthy to name a few.

edit: I just had a look at footywire and noticed both Treloar and Shiel run at close to 80% disposal efficency, they wouldn't fit in here :p
Yes but Treloar & Sheil only run at 80% because they are playing for such a successful club.
If they came to the Pies they'd only be running at 53.78%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back