Dangerfield + Kerridge + 53 = Milera + Menzel + Gore - Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there's really any way to say that it was a fair trade or not. Once Dangerfield put in his resignation we had to play hard ball, and we traded our best player for the next 5 years for three players who are in our top 22 for the next 8 years.

Considering it's all SA players, I might be biased and say we chose the best option out of "giving him up for nothing", but that's a big bias.

It sounds good in theory, however I still feel there is going to be a massive hole left by Danger. I have said it before and I will say it again, Thompson is getting on. Danger and Thompson were our clear ball winners in the middle. As Thompson slows down and Danger wins the ball for Geelong, we are all going to feel that regret. It could be a few years until these players come good, and in the mean time we may find ourselves taking a step back until we can take 2 steps forward. I know we all have our fingers crossed for Crouch too.

Personally I would have preferred to have kept Danger, but happy to review in a couple of years.

It sounds good in theory, however I still feel there is going to be a massive hole left by Danger. I have said it before and I will say it again, Thompson is getting on. Danger and Thompson were our clear ball winners in the middle. As Thompson slows down and Danger wins the ball for Geelong, we are all going to feel that regret. It could be a few years until these players come good, and in the mean time we may find ourselves taking a step back until we can take 2 steps forward. I know we all have our fingers crossed for Crouch too.

Personally I would have preferred to have kept Danger, but happy to review in a couple of years.

As Thompson slows down?

You mean he is going to go from that listless jog into an actual walk when chasing opponents?

Seeing as Oleg Markov went at 50, and he's the same age as Gore and done a LOT less, I think that's miles in front. 50 in this draft is just rookie level talent.

I actually think Gore is about an equivalent to Kerridge. Agree or don't, but for me they're quite similar.

Danger is a 9/10 talent. Milera and Menzel are both 7.5/10 talent, with the chance to be 8.5/10 or better.

Could be very good for us. Currently is just speculation.

I think it's still a work in progress. As others have noted previously in the trade thread, we need to trade aggressively for an A-grade midfielder next year. That could well complete the transition.

Was having this discussion with a crows mate today. Thought the crows did well out of the danger deal initially until they traded out kerridge and pick 28 for Menzel. The deal has essentially become Milera and Menzel for Dangerfield and Kerridge.

Menzel has a few question marks and injury concerns but definitely has enough talent to justify this selection

So it's 2 mids for 2 fwds...gore for 50 is ok (especially if our pick 13 is anything to go by). Probably a B-rating in isolation
Kerridge was a very poor man's midfielder, he couldn't find the ball. He played his better footy as a forward at afl level.

IMO Milera is just as much a midfield type as Kerridge and likely a better forward too.

Was having this discussion with a crows mate today. Thought the crows did well out of the danger deal initially until they traded out kerridge and pick 28 for Menzel. The deal has essentially become Milera and Menzel for Dangerfield and Kerridge.

Menzel has a few question marks and injury concerns but definitely has enough talent to justify this selection
Kerridge couldn't hold a spot all year so was basically a vacant list slot. I loved his work ethic but he had no weapons, no class. The deal was essentially Dangerfield for Menzel and Milera who will both be best 22 in short order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerridge couldn't hold a spot all year so was basically a vacant list slot. I loved his work ethic but he had no weapons, no class. The deal was essentially Dangerfield for Menzel and Milera who will both be best 22 in short order

If you are basing the deal on current form, dangerfield basically carried the side last year, it will be a while before Menzel and Milera are capable of that.

Kerridge has had output comparable to Menzel thus far in his career.

Without menzal it was a fail but with menzal, wow, much better than expected.

IMO our 2016 list has more talent and depth than our 2015 list
Granted most likely more depth at the bottom 10 but not more top end talent. Dangerfield was our best player and one of the best in the league. The loss of him and a tougher draw will see us fall out of the 8 in 2016.

Alot of our 2016/2017 fortunes rests on the health and evolution of the Crouch brothers.

Last edited:
It all really depends on whether Menzel plays like the player who was rated in the top 5 of his draft, or the Menzel who played for Carlton.

We can't afford inconsistency or for him to go missing. He needs to be a top 5 B&F player.

Here's hoping being home is the crucial thing that unlocks the talent and sees him not just play forward but also go into the mid.

Some excitement ahead as these new look players develop and/or make their mark. Danger is now a thing of the past and we move forward, not with a Dangerfield void, but with what we've now got. A list that at this point in time comprises the AFC. A whole bunch of skill sets that, with a new coach, simply make us what we are going forward. I have faith and refuse to see any sort of Dangerfield hangover or hole to fill. All I want is for the new recruits to develop quickly and be fast tracked into a new look Crows. Time to shake off the past and the perennial re-cycling of some of those never quite good enough long term players.

Take out gore and 53 to simplify it abut, they cancel each other out.

Nah, Gore is miles better than 53 in this draft. Everything after about 40 was rookie level talent this year.

You could take out Kerridge and Gore. They cancel each other out.

Granted most likely more depth at the bottom 10 but not more top end talent. Dangerfield was our best player and one of the best in the league. The loss of him and a tougher draw will see us fall out of the 8 in 2016.

Alot of our 2016/2017 fortunes rests on the health and evolution of the Crouch brothers.

Our top end talent was always pretty good - it was players 15 to 25 on the list where it fell off the cliff.

That being said, I pretty much agree with what hove said.

If you are basing the deal on current form, dangerfield basically carried the side last year, it will be a while before Menzel and Milera are capable of that.

Kerridge has had output comparable to Menzel thus far in his career.

Menzel has been mediocre so far Ina. Terrible teams and has still done a lot more than Kerridge.

True both guys win clearances. But both guys are dubious in what happens next. How often do these guys win a clearance then turn it over or not put the ball to our advantage.

Also a lot of Thommo's clearances come directly from Sauce's tapwork.

We will miss Danger's bulldozing clearance winning, but I won't miss his disposal or lack of real footy IQ in setting up the next play.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

In 6 years:

Menzel will be 27
Milera will be 24

Dangerfield will be 31

Assuming Menzel and Milera can cement themselves in our best 22, this is a win for us long-term. We should get 9 years extra years combined out of the players we brought in, compared to what Dangerfield would have gave us long term.

Our best 22 also has a more even talent profile now, which is what we needed.

However it's too early to say whether it will cost us a flag, or help us win one. Dangerfield might have been the star power we need for a flag. Or, Menzel and Milera might be two talented players that improve our best 22, helping us achieve a flag in their prime.

we have a far more balanced list now, with KPF probably the only bare thing in terms of depth (I'm counting ROB as adequate ruck depth if he keeps progressing)

we have more outside speed and class , improving defence compared to 12 months ago, enough inside mids

we are looking for some players to jump a level however to give us that week in week out dominance that danger gave us

if Sloane, B Crouch, Smith and M Crouch can jump a level in the midfield we will be ok

I'm thinking it might take until 2017 season to be better off, 2016 will be a year of transition, hopeful we can secure a KPF early in the draft next year (not many there at this stage but they usually improve in their 18th year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back