Dangerfield + Kerridge + 53 = Milera + Menzel + Gore - Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Granted most likely more depth at the bottom 10 but not more top end talent. Dangerfield was our best player and one of the best in the league. The loss of him and a tougher draw will see us fall out of the 8 in 2016.

Alot of our 2016/2017 fortunes rests on the health and evolution of the Crouch brothers.
agree with all parts of this

Not having Danger makes us less predictable, whether that's good or bad is yet to be seen. He is but 1 player, a very good one sure, but one. Part of Walshs, and now too Pykes vision was to make us a team much more than reliant on individual perfomance.

Next year we see how that works. I can see CEY stepping up, Sloane will relish the challenge and every year we have someone come out of the blue and surprise. With what we have lost I just hope that someone is Gore.

it's an investment into the future
Dangerfield 26 & Kerridge 23 in 2016 vs Menzel 22, Gore 20, Milera 19

we were never going to get market value for Dangerfield so I think it's a reasonable strategy and back your development

Menzel & Milera have the capability to play high level football Gore to me looks like an old fashioned grunt midfielder, gets the job done type, which is also very valuable

The other thing that may go in our favour as to where we finish in 2016, there will be no Dangerfield inneundo distractions for the playing group to have to deal with.

We havent covered Danger, but short of trading like for like we never were going to.

Team looks better though with the additions. Better balance, more upside. It's exciting, though there could be some new whipping boys among the new faces. Forward line is elite. Backline is getting there. The midfield needs a couple of champions now, we either need to poach one, or someone out of the B Crouch, Knight, Cameron, Milera group needs to become elite.

I don't really understand the Milera need

Milera isn't drafted for 2016, he's drafted for 2018 and onwards, anything before that is a bonus. In 2018 Eddie Betts will be 31. The hope is that he becomes more than a small forward, but if he doesn't he will be a nice replacement for Eddie and will play alongside Charlie for 10 years.

The long-term vision for the side is that Milera and Menzel become 50% forward, 50% midfield and rotate with each other between the forward line and the midfield. Kind of like Robbie Gray and Wingard.

Pardon the intrusion, what heights are Gore likely to reach & what type is he? Similar to Matt Crouch at all?

True both guys win clearances. But both guys are dubious in what happens next. How often do these guys win a clearance then turn it over or not put the ball to our advantage.

Also a lot of Thommo's clearances come directly from Sauce's tapwork.

We will miss Danger's bulldozing clearance winning, but I won't miss his disposal or lack of real footy IQ in setting up the next play.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
I hear what you are saying. As much as I hate stats it may be worth noting that although his percentage of effective disposals maybe lower than other mids, the number of disposals are a lot higher. That means a player like Sloane disposes the ball 30 times and hits his mark 20 times. Danger may get the ball 40 times but hits his man 25 times. His effective disposals may well be still be the highest in the team purely based on the number of times he gets the ball.

Of course I have not actually looked at stats so there is a fair chance I am making all this up.....which is kind of how I roll ;)

I hear what you are saying. As much as I hate stats it may be worth noting that although his percentage of effective disposals maybe lower than other mids, the number of disposals are a lot higher. That means a player like Sloane disposes the ball 30 times and hits his mark 20 times. Danger may get the ball 40 times but hits his man 25 times. His effective disposals may well be still be the highest in the team purely based on the number of times he gets the ball.

Of course I have not actually looked at stats so there is a fair chance I am making all this up.....which is kind of how I roll ;)
Watch the Hawthorn Final and note where the Hawks HB players set up and how they get/win the ball from a centre break.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be happy with even just 1 premiership in the next decade. Mind you, it would massively against the odds.

I would be happy with even just 1 premiership in the next decade. Mind you, it would massively against the odds.

In the next decade?

We are probably one top shelf midfielder signing, and some natural development and good injury run away from being a premiership contender in 2017.

best out of a bad situation. got rid of some blokes we didnt really want around the team mostly due to talent reasons, brought in some talented young south aussie talent with still a couple to come tomorrow where we usually do well.

obviously would prefer dangerfield, but there's nothing we can do about that. we did a lot better than i thought we would.

I think we have done we have done OK overall. The Menzel for Kerridge + pick 28 trade saved us as I think the original Dangerfield trade was disappointing. Also putting a name to pick 9 helps.

Menzel and Milera have the potential to make us winners as they have a huge amount of potential. The reality is though that every year there are 5-10 players drafted with a similar amount of potential and very few of them ever reach the level that Dangerfield would produce week in week out.

Answr to 1990crow - Yeah I do. When you look at this competition and consider some of the advantages that some clubs get that others dont ie..cola, f/s, zone consessions.

Its actually worse than the premier league as its the governing body who are handing some clubs advantages that not all receive.

In the next decade?

We are probably one top shelf midfielder signing, and some natural development and good injury run away from being a premiership contender in 2017.
I hope you're right but imagine how good our list would look if we had Sydneys zone consessions/cola and other teams father/son access.

Good, good

HhVk0hHmJWIlGfTatMBlH7Ekbre-81IO8gNqV80qITjMGSIhqrEc4nOouxQGznVennZ6BMxDa9yR3U53dE1lNMS7Y_RH1JD8ytEgZGZ82ZCUq9MRuwg7xJXYAm_Hkao=w298-h223-nc

Pardon the intrusion, what heights are Gore likely to reach & what type is he? Similar to Matt Crouch at all?

They are different players, Gore is a pacey ball user with an elite kick but needs to learn how to get more of the ball, Matt is an elite ball-getter, but needs to learn to be more attacking by foot.

Matt just signed for 3 so he won't be going to St Kilda any time soon.

Never thought Crouch was leaving. Curious about what Gore can do.

Never thought Crouch was leaving. Curious about what Gore can do.

Long term i think we'd be hoping he could partner Crouch at the coalface.

Sounds like a lively type, that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back