List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that people are necessarily "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" as much a we're a little concerned that we're going to see 4+ of these senior guys all depart at the end of next year and leave a gaping hole. They appeared to start making the tough calls at the end of last year with Hunt, Pods & Chappy to make a more gradual transition and to provide game time for the youth but it looks like that approach has been put on hold this year. That brings the fear that our young guys aren't going to be experienced enough come 2016/17.

Throwing them all out, absolutely agreed, is a ridiculous approach but I'm not sure that keeping all of them is best for us going forward either.
This 100%. It's all about the two year view.

This 100%. It's all about the two year view.

Yes…which allows us time to recruit ready made players, and to further develop our young players who show so much promise. Imagine Thurlow and Bews, Guthrie and hopefully Frawley in 2 years time and with some games under their belt…some talent in that group….

Turbo, I find it hard to get enthused about speculation of this sort. Maybe I am just too scarred from the failure of players like Peter Muerette and Stephen Michael to arrive at Cat land in the old days.

By the way, can anyone remember Muerette? I not not sure of the spelling of his name. I think that he may have been a Crow Eater.

I was going to say WHO? You have got me with that one. S Michael well he was Polly Farmer and Buddy Franklin all wrapped up into one ( according to the legend) the Old Form4's. If he had come over , I think we would have been very close to a Flag considering two PFs in 80 and 81.

So glad we jumped the gun and extended Kelly, Enright, Rivers and Mackie earlier this year. :rolleyes: Seriously stupid stuff by the club as well as hypocritical given how ruthless we were with Chapman/Pods (which I didn't mind so long as we were consistent). Any offer made to Dangerfield would have to be fairly well back loaded. Not necessarily the end of the world if he really wants to come here but not ideal either.

Its not those guys that you need on board. It need Selwood, Taylor , Hawkins and Motlop to play for less in 2015 and take more in 2016,2017 etc.

Infact having a few of the older guys may be a selling point to a degree. It shows Geelong think we are still in it if we can just add A,B & C or should I say a D and F

I'll probably get a hiding for this, but I am sick of all this bullshit about how bad it was to sign Enright, Kelly, Rivers and Mackie…are people seriously suggesting we should have dumped them all and decimated our back line? A back line that performed seriously well for the majority of the season.???

And please spare me recent "poor" performances so we should dump them line.. It was widely reported that Kelly wasn't right before the last game, and if you look dispassionately at his season, he performed very well until his ankle injury toward the end of the H&A….Enright had a very good season…Rivers was mighty most of the year and will feature high in our B&F, and Mackie had a poor final series …yes….but to write him off on that basis is reactionary in the extreme.

We should be focussing on strengthening our ruck division, and finding a good hard inside mid. Hopefully Frawley will come in to strengthen our back line options. Further developing boys like Thurlow ( whose reputation far outweighs his performances ) and Bews who looks a likely prospect to me should also be a priority. Even Guthrie on the half back line given Jansen and Lang come on in the midfield is another option though I like him in the midfield.

Some people seem to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Prob a good discussion for another thread David. But in relation to Dangerfield , I can not see any neg. of having them. I doubt there dollars would be the difference. Their performance of the whole year show they can still play and for anyone coming to Geelong , they may feel a bit disappointed to miss out on not playing with them. How much they play , and what the setup next year is a discussion probably for another thread and post draft.

I'll probably get a hiding for this, but I am sick of all this bullshit about how bad it was to sign Enright, Kelly, Rivers and Mackie…are people seriously suggesting we should have dumped them all and decimated our back line? A back line that performed seriously well for the majority of the season.??

Not people. Just me and no I'm not saying they should ALL have been dumped but not sure ALL should have been locked away or not until their finals performances were evaluated.

And please spare me recent "poor" performances so we should dump them line.. It was widely reported that Kelly wasn't right before the last game, and if you look dispassionately at his season, he performed very well until his ankle injury toward the end of the H&A….Enright had a very good season…Rivers was mighty most of the year and will feature high in our B&F, and Mackie had a poor final series …yes….but to write him off on that basis is reactionary in the extreme.

How about you spare me the injury excuse? If you take the field you're right to go. If badly injured enough to excuse poor play then he shouldn't be out there. Very poor from the player and club if true.

Fact is Kelly played some nice games earlier in the season down back but struggled when it mattered. Yes Enright and Rivers had good years individually and I'm happy enough with them. Mackie was poor in finals and his year just ok but only one year on from AA and not that old. It's not about any of them individually but how old and slow they are as a group then you ad in Lonergan too. Again what was wrong with waiting until finals was over?

We should be focussing on strengthening our ruck division, and finding a good hard inside mid. Hopefully Frawley will come in to strengthen our back line options. Further developing boys like Thurlow ( whose reputation far outweighs his performances ) and Bews who looks a likely prospect to me should also be a priority. Even Guthrie on the half back line given Jansen and Lang come on in the midfield is another option though I like him in the midfield.

Dead right. But where does the opportunity to develop (or even play) Thurlow, Bews, Jansen, Lang, Hartman and move Guthrie back to defense come with an unchanged defensive group? Kelly needed to go immediately. One of Mackie or Rivers also (not because they're no good but because both them plus 2 KPDs makes us too big) and Enright worked out of the side next season playing as more of a coach.

Some people seem to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And some don't seem to understand that opportunities to play/develop youth and throw $ at players the class of Danger only come if we're ruthless with our veterans (well performed as they are). We were last year. As a group Chapman, Pods and Hunt were no less serviceable/important in 2013 than Enright, Kelly and Mackie in 2014. But we waited til the end of the year then made a tough (and correct) call.

Last edited:
Sando reckons he received calls from upset players today. Hope one of them was PD.
Went to cricket training tonight. His best mate plays with us, and he said tonight that within 1 hour of Sando being sacked that danger spoken to his manager and is talking with 4 clubs (Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton and Sydney). He wants out now, not next year in FA.

Went to cricket training tonight. His best mate plays with us, and he said tonight that within 1 hour of Sando being sacked that danger spoken to his manager is talking with 4 clubs (Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton and Sydney). He wants out now, not next year in FA.

Richmond board saying he is speaking to Geelong, Richmond, Essendon and Western Bulldogs.
Doesn't say where that info came from though!

Went to cricket training tonight. His best mate plays with us, and he said tonight that within 1 hour of Sando being sacked that danger spoken to his manager is talking with 4 clubs (Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton and Sydney). He wants out now, not next year in FA.

If true, then I reckon we're in trouble because I simply cannot see how we can satisfy Adelaide.
We don't have the money for him either, this year, but that may possibly be solved with backending to 2016ff.
And his talking to Sydney really means the "come home" factor may be far less important than we'd hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond board saying he is speaking to Geelong, Richmond, Essendon and Western Bulldogs.
There may be more. My mate knows of 4 clubs definitely and we are one of them. Yay!

May also be Adelaide speaking with clubs to try and orchestrate the best possible deal from their POV.

If true, then I reckon we're in trouble because I simply cannot see how we can satisfy Adelaide.
We don't have the money for him either, this year, but that may possibly be solved with backending to 2016ff.
And his talking to Sydney really means the "come home" factor may be far less important than we'd hoped.
I said a few weeks ago that the word was he was genuinely undecided. We know that he and Sando had a good relationship, so by sacking Sando either they were convinced PD was as good as gone or they thought he was bluffing and would stay. The latter would be very embarrassing for the board member(s) responsible.

Went to cricket training tonight. His best mate plays with us, and he said tonight that within 1 hour of Sando being sacked that danger spoken to his manager and is talking with 4 clubs (Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton and Sydney). He wants out now, not next year in FA.

So if we give this another little while, we should have every club apart from Port named as possible destinations?;)

The 'silly season' has well and truly begun.

And the verdict on the cheats to come tomorrow as well!:eek::D

I think it would be more efficient to list the trades you wouldn't make. My guess there is more tradeable players on our list atm than there has been for years.

Agreed.

I think our problem is the fact that the relatively large amount of tradeable players we now have on the list have very little currency with other clubs.

Billie and Trav were mentioned earlier. I would be staggered if we were offered anything better than a third-rounder for either.

I just can't see how we can get him now, seriously what would we have to give up? Guthrie, Motlop and a 1st rounder is what Adelaide would command, well something like that anyway.

If it's true he wants out now, I think you can count us out, but next season, that's a different story.

And come to think of it, walker to PA doesn't sound that unrealistic now.

It could only work if he says Geelong is his only option and Adelaide is faced with something like a 1st rounder and Murdoch or waiting for compo next year.

If he says he's happy to go anywhere in Vic we are stuffed.

It could only work if he says Geelong is his only option and Adelaide is faced with something like a 1st rounder and Murdoch or waiting for compo next year.

If he says he's happy to go anywhere in Vic we are stuffed.

I said that yesterday. He HAS to nominate us and us only. Question is, what would you prepared to give up IF he is wanting out NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back