List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
I hate buying into all this bullshit hype, because that's all it is at this stage, but I think Phil Walsh could put a few noses out of joint at Adelaide which could effect Dangerfield's decision. He seems like a very intense, drill sergeant type of coach and he's already talking about bringing in new 'standards'. That all sounds great now, but not all players like a tough coach like that, as evidenced by the Dogs players whining leading to the McCartney sacking.

I hate buying into all this bullshit hype, because that's all it is at this stage, but I think Phil Walsh could put a few noses out of joint at Adelaide which could effect Dangerfield's decision. He seems like a very intense, drill sergeant type of coach and he's already talking about bringing in new 'standards'. That all sounds great now, but not all players like a tough coach like that, as evidenced by the Dogs players whining leading to the McCartney sacking.
Phil Walshg= Mark Neeld by your description there.
If the team is ready for that, he will work well.
Melbourne were nowhere ready for Neeld. Their loss.

Geelong says it will seek approval from its playing group before launching a massive raid on Adelaide free agent Patrick Dangerfield next year.
The Cats are the frontrunners if Dangerfield chooses to leave the Crows next year on a deal that would make him one of the best-paid players in the AFL.
Dangerfield’s parents were at Geelong’s pre-match function in Round 1 this year and live only half an hour from the city in coastal Moggs Creek.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rick-dangerfield/story-fni5f6yf-1227143757267

Sounds like they are trying to get the ducks in a row - with Hawk before the market skews his $$ any more ( Boyd type not 800k type skewing) and the with the PLG before going after Danger.

Although it has technically nothing to do with the other players, I like the approach of involving them in the discussion. It shows respect and understaing on both sides. The synergy is good I feel.

Not much point getting Danger at say 1mill per year and having 45 other players pissed off about it.

And for those Crows fans, Id say buckle up its gonna be interesting to see what happens.

GO Catters

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
If you think about it the hawks have a pretty good chance of luring Dangerfield to them in 2016 mainly because they have a bunch of good players coming to the end, Mitchell, Hodge, Lake, Burgoyne. There is a bit of money free'd up if those guys retire so dont be at all surprised if thats the case especially if the hawks dont do the 3-peat in 2015.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If we get Dangerfield it won't be because of money. He will get offers larger than what we offer. We will get him because he wants to come home.

If we get it has to have something to do with money.

For a start , he is a RFA...restricted. So any club that gets him to move as a FA , must beat an Adelaide offer.

Do we have to match a crazy offer from lets say GWS? Probably not but if our offer is not right up there , we will be seen as not being serious.
Frawley had good reasons to pick us , our money was close enough yet he went to Hawks.And Freo were in the mix. A loss but not a burning one , but its shows that any quality FA will have clubs saving their pennys ...right now. And Im not talking money really , its cap space and commitment to other players. Every club has to spend around 10M , it hows its shared

Hawks will be able to find money although after Frawley maybe dont have us muchof the Buddy money left. Still I'm sure someone retires and they have space.
Pies , will be dangerious after losing Beems
and there will be others

But we will have as many retiring as anyone. Enright, Hmac and lots of other guys in years to come Rivers,Mackie, Lonergan, Bartel,Kelly........

So of their space will have to go to him for a period of time for us to get him. My guess is we have a big whack in year 1 and 2 like 1.5M and then it comes down to a more like the money that our top guys get. Long term he should not be on more than Sel thats for sure. Not fair to the Captain. But it will have to be a big offer , or RFA will not happen. Pure_Ownage has a good handle on the dollars I think.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
If we get it has to have something to do with money.

For a start , he is a RFA...restricted. So any club that gets him to move as a FA , must beat an Adelaide offer.

Thats why I posted this a few pages back.

On the topic though, not that I can be stuffed as all the danger stuff is pure speculation. But it's off season.
On the Adelaide board they are suggesting that the crows can just match an offer to Danger and force a trade.

I think there's a very easy way to stop that. And my gut feel is that Geelong are setting up to do it.
Geelong put together a 5 year, 6 million dollar deal with the first year paying say 2.5 mil.

Now Adelaide have to match the offer precisely in regards to terms.
Geelong submit the offer to AFL house. Ken Wood looks at Adelaides books and says "The crows can't fit 2.5mil into the TPP for 2016"
The Crows don't even get a chance to match it.

The only way they could match it is if they are also clearing out to build a war chest for 2016.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats why I posted this a few pages back.

On the topic though, not that I can be stuffed as all the danger stuff is pure speculation. But it's off season.
On the Adelaide board they are suggesting that the crows can just match an offer to Danger and force a trade.

I think there's a very easy way to stop that. And my gut feel is that Geelong are setting up to do it.
Geelong put together a 5 year, 6 million dollar deal with the first year paying say 2.5 mil.

Now Adelaide have to match the offer precisely in regards to terms.
Geelong submit the offer to AFL house. Ken Wood looks at Adelaides books and says "The crows can't fit 2.5mil into the TPP for 2016"
The Crows don't even get a chance to match it.

The only way they could match it is if they are also clearing out to build a war chest for 2016.

Sorry I didn't go back right thru the thread before posting VC.

I think they might be willing to match to a point and you deal , simialr to my thoughts is one possability. 2.5 or 3 in Y1 and Y2 would be very hard for them to match when they have to keep Sloane as well. Not impossible and with speculation up to years out they may have tried to balance their list to give them the best chance of doing it. Up front payments etc. Id question just matching to get a better trade caus eif that trade can not happen ,or if Danger down't want to go to a GWS etc , they will have to pay it. What ever they off must be a real offer they are happy to live with.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Who knows , we have been down this path before... Dangerfield laast time, Then Boak. Then Frawley.... when he say "Its Geelong or else" we will know .

I'll believe it when I see him signing a contract with Geelong. After his pen leaves the paper.

Considering how many ex-Falcons apparently long to come 'home', it's remarkable how so little actually do.

Getting close to the season to be jolly the @Partridge…can you crack just a little bit of hope… just a little bit….

Like Vader I know there is a good in you somewhere…. there HAS to be.. somewhere… right!:D

GO Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll believe it when I see him signing a contract with Geelong. After his pen leaves the paper.

Considering how many ex-Falcons apparently long to come 'home', it's remarkable how so little actually do.

Yes , as the used to say , I believe it when I see him step of the Helipcopter .. Pasties was always coming as well.

Geelong will be in a position of being able to offer Dangerfield a more than generous contract. You therefore would hope that money wouldn't be an obstacle to him coming to us.

Money won't be an obstacle but success might be. We need to make top 4 again this year and not bomb out in straight sets, because if things pan out next September like they did this one he will probably go to Hawthorn, and none of us want that to happen.

Can't see him leaving Adelaide for any clubs other than Geelong or Hawthorn.

Money won't be an obstacle but success might be. We need to make top 4 again this year and not bomb out in straight sets, because if things pan out next September like they did this one he will probably go to Hawthorn, and none of us want that to happen.

Can't see him leaving Adelaide for any clubs other than Geelong or Hawthorn.
With Frawley at Hawthorn now, how much of the Buddy money would they have left? is there anyone who could retire to create cap space? Sewell this year. Burgoyne? Hale?

They probably could afford him, he may even take unders to go to a club which could have just 3 peated (barf).

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How many clubs will have the moolah to chase him and are in flag contention?

I doubt the Hawks will have more than $700k to offer per annum, he'll command more. I really doubt that he would go to a lowly placed club either.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Stanley and Clark would be on $300k-$350k is my guess... They could be bargains.

Only half of the salary was applied to the Salary Cap for Veterans, which we have heaps of them, but I think the AFL scrapped that rule?

Not sure who is likely to retire at the end of 2015 that could free it up further...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back