List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I could see Carlton being involved , especially if they lose Gibbs to the Crows. But would he want to go there? Its not the 1980's , im not sure they hold any great allure. Sure money could move mountains but could they offer that much more than the Crows. He would be on 600+now. It takes an Ablett offer once you get to that level. We offered 850 , they offered 1.5. Carlton would have to be certifiable to offer that but then again , its what they know.

So if he moves will it be purely for money , my guess is no. If Crows do not elevate themselves up the ladder , and he sees him not playing finals or even playing week to week in a struggling side.... Ask Rivers about that. I do wonder if Gibbs does move , does he go to Crow or Port. Id pick Port right now even for a little money. So from that you can see if I was Dangerfield id look at the club chances of success , how many good players are at the club to share the work load , where does the club play , how many big games does it play......

(imo) Geelong has never been as attractive as it is right now. Traditionally Ess and Col etc get to play the G and the big games like Anzac day.
But our home ground , the lights , games like this week V Hawks (Easter Monday is becoming our Day) it all becomes easier to sell the club , and not just be the biggest offer.

Having said all that , I still think he will stay there. He seems a loyal type and if they have treated him well , he will not want to do the dirty when they are down and out. He will probably give them more time to build the side.

Just as a thought can you imagine the size of the server crash if Danger went across town to the sooner to be successful Power from the Crows for better $$ and chances to win?

Mushrooms clouds and cockroaches only thing seen West of Vic / SA border…..

Epic…

But yes Turbocat, Carlton would be a player in the money game - especially if they clear the desks a bit of some of that aging wood….

Go Catters

If its purely $$ , and I'm not convinced that it is, and if Frawley wants 800k and will probably get it Danger's number will be EPIC - Like Mega Star Destroyer in Jedi sized EPIC.

Out of our league and pay scale if its a pissing match. However, the intangibles are worth the $$ which we are closest being able to provide.

Not out of it yet…

GO Catters
Il ask your opinion of this then, what do you think we could offer him in terms of dollars?

Lol, what do you expect him to say? they aren't exactly going to say they are leaving because of money, no footballer is going to publicly say that

I never said what I would expect him to say. I merely refreshed everyone's memory as what he did say.
Gary used the "new challenges" excuse, and Buddy....lol, what did he say exactly?

Il ask your opinion of this then, what do you think we could offer him in terms of dollars?

Im not really familiar with the contract offered by Geelong to the players in terms of specific numbers. Id guess, and thats what it is, the Sel is probably up there on 700 - 800k probably well under the 1.0 he is worth. Danger, the way FA's have gone to this point, would be 7 figure territory.

Again, this is an uneducated and unresearched hunch. And with Geelong's history of the unit rather than the individual, I could not see us paying that both monetarily and philosophically.

Go Catters

I'll dig it up but I'm sure some where the player's said they'd be happy to do this. I mean * it if they all have to take a 20k pay cut to get Danger to the club I'm sure they'd do it...

It does set a bit of a bad precedent, but there is paying a little bit over and there is paying overs, which Swans and Carlton did. In hindsight Gold Coast didn't...

The ethos of the team first approach has helped get us here. For anyone to come in from the outside, then know the rules and the way. You are here to succeed for under market value. Some stay, some leave. Their choice. But if you want to gain, you have to give.

Danger may want to gain success and to do so may need to give up some $$. if that i enough for him we have a shot - as the system in place right now is only as good as the people or players sticking to it. Does Danger fit the higher band - of course - but not the top of HT, Sel and Jimmy who have been building the success from the ground up…

Mind you , don't misconstrue that as me not wanting him….

GO Catters

Just turned 24 too. So young!

That's funny. There's no such thing. Wave enough money under his nose and he'll wear an evening dress in public. Everyone's got a price.

For every Buddy Franklin, Gary Ablett and Tom Scully, there are hundreds of examples of who dont go. Selwood, Roughead, Mitchell, Bastinac, Hawkins, Taylor, Boak, Pavlich, Hurley, Deledio, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Sloane, Naitanui, Ziebell, Griffin, Stevens, Rockliff, D Swallow, Prestia are all examples of players who have knocked back less to stay at clubs. And there would be heaps of others not reported.

So many different ways to spin things, so many things for and against the chance of a Geelong move, now, let alone what could happen in the two years until a move is possible.

Against:
*Geelong won't offer him insane amounts of money and other Victorian Clubs will.
*If Adelaide have chance of success he could be reluctant to leave.
*If Adelaide are in dire trouble he could feel guilty walking out .
(Boak appeared to have faith in PA's future and be reluctant to leave in time of need so the double whammy)
*Adelaide, considering he's a restricted free agent, will be prepared to match whatever Geelong can offer him if he's willing to stay.

For:
*He seems annoyed at the Adelaide administration for being incompetent and sneaky, which has lead to medium to long term damage of the club. Geelong in contrast have a reputation of being an exceptionally well run club.
*Geelong's culture is reknowned and they have held high standards and been 'contending' at the top for ten years straight, they are as safe a bet as you can get.
*Playing for years with core group of Selwood, Duncan, Caddy, Christensen, Guthrie, Motlop, GHS, Smedts, Murdoch, Varcoe, Thurlow, with Taylor, Hawkins, Vardy, Simpson for a start has a lot going for it.
*He barracked for Geelong as a kid (never THE reason but a nice ingredient)
*He loves his home, the coast, Moggs Creek, the beach, fishing, that place in the world, "Back in the home town. #Geelong. #goodtobehome"
*Will be offered more $ by Melbourne teams but reportedly not a fan of living in the city. Living near family, great club, good money > commuting further, questionable club, great money???
*No club has yet to match an unrestricted free agents offer. Even if they can, even if they want to... No club will make someone stay if they want to leave and if they know they'll get a nice compensation pick and avoid losing that player for nothing in two years time....

He said he was 50/50 about the decision last time. What has transpired since then doesn't make me think Geelong would have slipped below that 50% chance. On the contrary.

The other curious thing to me is why the Crows haven't made him Captain. Who walks out of a club as a new Captain? (Apart from Colbert!)
And while they needed an acting Captain, they make him joint?
Did I hear right that he told them he felt he wasn't ready to lead? I find that interesting. Outgoing, confident, vocal, best player in their team who turns games, who is one of the best in the league? Does he not want to be Captain because part of him is not sure if he will even be there?

Anyway, enough mindless, uninformed dribble from me!

Struggles to break a tag. Not worth it
That's ok. We got better mids that him that would take the tag anyway.

Gosh, how we need to boost our midfield stocks! And after all, Dangerfield is a star that we just have to get to complete the set and get a prize, or whatever.

Seriously, we got enough mids, and a fantastic nursery in the VFL. We don't need to be paying top dollar for other team's stars. Sydney. Think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ethos of the team first approach has helped get us here. For anyone to come in from the outside, then know the rules and the way. You are here to succeed for under market value. Some stay, some leave. Their choice. But if you want to gain, you have to give.

Danger may want to gain success and to do so may need to give up some $$. if that i enough for him we have a shot - as the system in place right now is only as good as the people or players sticking to it. Does Danger fit the higher band - of course - but not the top of HT, Sel and Jimmy who have been building the success from the ground up…

Mind you , don't misconstrue that as me not wanting him….

GO Catters
Well said, and some of my own thoughts mirrored exactly. I would,d not be at all comfortable with dangerfield walking in and being given 300k more then selwood is on. That sort of act will surely disgruntle several people or players within the club.

That's funny. There's no such thing. Wave enough money under his nose and he'll wear an evening dress in public. Everyone's got a price.
Actually agree with you. These guys only have very short careers, they need to make the absolute most of it and set themselves up financially, they don't have 40-50 year careers to earn, some of them have absolutely zero going for them outside of football, so earning that extra few hundred thousand is a big bloody difference, I don't blame them the slightest, they have to look after themselves first

do you think he can get even better? Not so much his game but his body like speed, jumping and strength or is he one of those individuals similar to Chris Judd who peaked and were brilliant very early on in their career?
I think Caddy and Motlop and Murdoch and Duncan and Guthrie and Burbury and Christensen and Horlin-Smith and Thurlow can get even better. And you don't have to fork out 900K for any of them. :D

To be honest, by the end of 2015, we would most likely have the cap space. For mine, I would assume that if, and it is a big ask, that if he wants out and prefers Geelong, it will be picks that the crows would be after. They are about as close to another rebuild as guys like Thompson, pods, Betts etc, are barely propping them up. Walker is ok, but is only one player.
I'm more and more in the belief he will leave.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I actually hope they don't lose him.
They've lost too many players in the last few years.

So many different ways to spin things, so many things for and against the chance of a Geelong move, now, let alone what could happen in the two years until a move is possible.

Against:
*Geelong won't offer him insane amounts of money and other Victorian Clubs will.
*If Adelaide have chance of success he could be reluctant to leave.
*If Adelaide are in dire trouble he could feel guilty walking out .
(Boak appeared to have faith in PA's future and be reluctant to leave in time of need so the double whammy)
*Adelaide, considering he's a restricted free agent, will be prepared to match whatever Geelong can offer him if he's willing to stay.

For:
*He seems annoyed at the Adelaide administration for being incompetent and sneaky, which has lead to medium to long term damage of the club. Geelong in contrast have a reputation of being an exceptionally well run club.
*Geelong's culture is reknowned and they have held high standards and been 'contending' at the top for ten years straight, they are as safe a bet as you can get.
*Playing for years with core group of Selwood, Duncan, Caddy, Christensen, Guthrie, Motlop, GHS, Smedts, Murdoch, Varcoe, Thurlow, with Taylor, Hawkins, Vardy, Simpson for a start has a lot going for it.
*He barracked for Geelong as a kid (never THE reason but a nice ingredient)
*He loves his home, the coast, Moggs Creek, the beach, fishing, that place in the world, "Back in the home town. #Geelong. #goodtobehome"
*Will be offered more $ by Melbourne teams but reportedly not a fan of living in the city. Living near family, great club, good money > commuting further, questionable club, great money???
*No club has yet to match an unrestricted free agents offer. Even if they can, even if they want to... No club will make someone stay if they want to leave and if they know they'll get a nice compensation pick and avoid losing that player for nothing in two years time....

He said he was 50/50 about the decision last time. What has transpired since then doesn't make me think Geelong would have slipped below that 50% chance. On the contrary.

The other curious thing to me is why the Crows haven't made him Captain. Who walks out of a club as a new Captain? (Apart from Colbert!)
And while they needed an acting Captain, they make him joint?
Did I hear right that he told them he felt he wasn't ready to lead? I find that interesting. Outgoing, confident, vocal, best player in their team who turns games, who is one of the best in the league? Does he not want to be Captain because part of him is not sure if he will even be there?

Anyway, enough mindless, uninformed dribble from me!
Nice post but one point...clubs don't match UFA, they match RFA. If he was UFA , the money wouldn't be any issue.

I actually hope they don't lose him.
They've lost too many players in the last few years.

Some of that was self induced too VC….

They lost the picks which was their doing and may have contributed to other perhaps on the fence about moving tipping over.. Speculative sure but you can't rule it out..

Go Catters

Last edited:
Honestly, I think everyone of us would jump with joy if he came to us no matter what it cost.
The guy is a top 5-8 player in the comp, can we say that about our young ins?
Does anyone doubt he would make us a better side, after all that's what it's all about.

Honestly, I think everyone of us would jump with joy if he came to us no matter what it cost.
The guy is a top 5-8 player in the comp, can we say that about our young ins?
Does anyone doubt he would make us a better side, after all that's what it's all about.

Some of our youngsters just need a chance to prove themselves.....one way or the other.

Give them that chance, and who knows?

That said, I'd love to see Dangerfield in the hoops, as long as the price isn't too steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back