Vic E/W Link / Metro Rail / Large projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Another situation is climate change: Both parties at a federal level never disagreed with an ETS in 2007 but the conjecture since would say otherwise.

Libs made clear it was dependent on international agreement. Rather different to going alone.

The reason for the plant was also pretty clear from the 2007 "Our Water Our Future" report, which stated inflows had fallen dramatically into the dams over an extended period, the facts back this up.

Yes but that's the typical folly of extrapolating the present to infinity. In fairness to The Age they went very hard on it with Kenneth Davidson outstanding basically accusing the alp and cfmeu of corruption. The Libs were and are pathetic on it.

Libs made clear it was dependent on international agreement. Rather different to going alone.

Yes but that's the typical folly of extrapolating the present to infinity. In fairness to The Age they went very hard on it with Kenneth Davidson outstanding basically accusing the alp and cfmeu of corruption. The Libs were and are pathetic on it.
Davidson has been very rational and clear in his issues with the desal plant. ( can't say I recall the bit about cfmeu corruption though)

Davidson has been very rational and clear in his issues with the desal plant. ( can't say I recall the bit about cfmeu corruption though)

IIRC it was about preselection in a few seats and there was a deal done. He has always been good on PPP/ PFI type stuff.

So he's knocked the the compo down from around 2 bil to 500-700 million?

If he passes this legislation and cuts it by more he is my hero. I will never vote for another Liberal vic government again.

It's the default position for all reactionaries. They just swap the union name. Bit like the ABC has a left bias. Despite more ex ABC journos turning up on the Lib side. Presently, Simpkin as Abbott's media lackey - that's going well. And Henderson as member for Corio.

Abbott gets done over once again. Particularly like Dan's second para.:thumbsu:

5tuhl5.jpg

1679itd.jpg

33cxcgw.jpg

In other words, stick your failed overpriced wasteful political wedge up your clacker

Feel the reverse wedge tony ol mate

I would have been tempted to add : I cant believe we are even arguing over it , its such a dog project

What I really like about Andrews is he is proud to proclaim he is labor and no half apologising like the feds were whn they got rudd to pretnd he was howard lite. His election material was bold red not a little splash in a sea of blue.

Some of the greatest institutions in this country were created by labor so why apologise

Last edited:
Which is why being paid to not build it is a dream outcome for them, provided they can come back after the next change of government and latch back onto the public nipple again
Andrews was trying to negotiate with them over being given preferential treatment over the metro tunnel project, but they seem hell bent on going for compo.

If they continue to fight then I'd love to see legislation so they get nothing and then miss out on the metro rail tunnel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corangamite.

Sorry to be pedantic. Don't reckon you'd catch Ms Henderson near Corio though.

You're right. And about Sarah keeping her distance from Corio too.

Reckon she'll be a one termer. Despite the Liberals propping her up behind Abbott in Question Time to get some exposure.

When I read Abbott's letter, seriously that this was satire. Difficult to distinguish satire from fact with him.
Nice response from Andrews though.

What a nerve the tosser Abbott has! Not only breaks his own promises but now wants to force other governments to break there's too.

There's something smelly going on with the Liberals and the EW Link. Could it be one or more of the contractors tipped-in big bucks to the Liberals re-election on the understanding they'd be looked after. And when things started to go pear shaped electorally and the contractors began getting a tad nervy the Liberals placated them by attempting to financially hogtie the incoming government.

There's something very smelly going on in view.

It's the default position for all reactionaries.

Yes like Fairfax. The apologism is bloody strong on these boards.

http://www.officejobs.com.au/news/2009/5/31/deals-within-deals-as-factions-jostle-for-clout/

Deals within deals as factions jostle for clout
The Sunday Age

Sunday May 31, 2009

But in the past two weeks, as details of this new power bloc have leaked, senior members of the Labor Party have pondered what else might have motivated the deal: why would two left-leaning building unions - the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union and the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union - give their preselection votes to the far right of the factional divide?What was in it for them?The unions say it was about supporting each other's candidates for preselection and trying to influence "government procurement policies".But now they are concerned about the intensifying speculation sweeping the Victorian ALP that the deal involves what one party source described as "the biggest game in town" - the 900 construction jobs on the $3.1billion Wonthaggi desalination plant, a public-private partnership

There's something smelly going on with the Liberals and the EW Link. .

Lol, gloss over CFMEU stench and just make crap up.

What a nerve the tosser Abbott has! Not only breaks his own promises but now wants to force other governments to break there's too.

There's something smelly going on with the Liberals and the EW Link. Could it be one or more of the contractors tipped-in big bucks to the Liberals re-election on the understanding they'd be looked after. And when things started to go pear shaped electorally and the contractors began getting a tad nervy the Liberals placated them by attempting to financially hogtie the incoming government.

There's something very smelly going on in view.

The libs did spend a hell of a lot on the election. some of the polling booths looked like it was the fourth of july

What is so hard about saying the Libs did not have a mandate to sign documents and generous side letter offering compensation if the new government legislated against it? Why the haste?
LIEberals now grandstanding about the compensation the government will have to pay. Have they no shame?

What is so hard with the idea that both sides are dodgy and corrupt?
We need a Federal ICAC - the Greens are for it, both major parties dead against it.
Not hard to wonder why.

We need a Federal ICAC - the Greens are for it, both major parties dead against it.
Not hard to wonder why.

Needs to be permanent inquiries.

I'd have 2 (independent, as far as that goes).
1 funded by the feds to look into the states.
1 funded by the states to look into the feds.

Either that, or fixed minimums for it's budget (as a % of the expenditure of that bodies budget).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back