Scandal Daniel Chick admits Drug Use rampant in 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Suggestion raised on SEN last night that Chick is aggrieved over the club paying $100K towards Cousins' rehab while Chick got nothing.

Make sense to me and why wouldn't he be dirty on them? Eagles shouldn't have been penny pinching on this they have plenty of cash and should have helped them all not just the main clown.

I personally don't like the attacks on Chick regarding the timing of the news story. I wonder when Chick made the comments? I trust the Herald is the one responsible for the timing and not Chick.

I wonder if Chick will comment about heroin, cocaine etc and I wonder if any comments will be made about administrations personal habits? Fish do rot from the head.

I also wondered if Ken Judge was pushed out the door because he informed administration of the drug issues? If that was the case, are they liable?

perhaps its all too late and no one cares but the players themselves and the administration will have to take ownership of the dead, the drug fkd and the broken. This impact is not limited to the players but their wives, parents, children, broader families, friends and of course society.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps we shouldn't shoot down guys like Chick, perhaps we should listen. We might have something to learn and better understand his motivations.
And this had to happen the day before the eagles fly into melb for the grand final

Also the pro hawthorn message in the same article is hilarious given their issues as well

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Make sense to me and why wouldn't he be dirty on them? Eagles shouldn't have been penny pinching on this they have plenty of cash and should have helped them all not just the main clown.

In saying that.. If that were the case, there are a million better ways he could of gone about it.

Perhaps even an article on that specific issue, I'd imagine public pressure and the perceived prying eyes would of forced the club to pay for rehab, even if there was a dispute 'behind the scenes'.

There wouldn't be this vitriol directed towards him now,
He'd have the outcome he'd want.

And this had to happen the day before the eagles fly into melb for the grand final

Also the pro hawthorn message in the same article is hilarious given their issues as well

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

is Chick the editor?

I dare say Chick is a wreck of a man, so he is hardly accountable. The Herald on the other hand are of sound mind and character, control the release and control the content.

People should point fingers at the Herald.

is Chick the editor?

I dare say Chick is a wreck of a man, so he is hardly accountable. The Herald on the other hand are of sound mind and character, control the release and control the content.

People should point fingers at the Herald.

They are, they are also pointing the finger at Chick for making baseless claims without any proof.

Why would anyone choose to believe Chick when players like Judd and Embley have denied it, the club strongly denied it and Kerr questioned how Chick could know what others were doing if the asthma drug came in tablet form?

But no, let's believe the guy that is clearly unstable with plenty of issues very public.

Does a person in the right frame of mind create a BF account to abuse posters and make threats?

You really have to question the motives around the timing of Chick's revelations, Judd refuted Chick's claims last night as being vastly different to what he remembers. Someone has lost the balancing bar here...

perhaps Judd refuted the claim but the article I read said it was just "blown out of proportion"

judd's response in my opinion is very professional. He didn't lie and say it didn't happen but he didn't engage but controlled the discussion to a close.

he was also very clever to leave the club, rather than stay and try and change the world.

well done judd.

They are, they are also pointing the finger at Chick for making baseless claims without any proof.

Why would anyone choose to believe Chick when players like Judd and Embley have denied it, the club strongly denied it and Kerr questioned how Chick could know what others were doing if the asthma drug came in tablet form?

But no, let's believe the guy that is clearly unstable with plenty of issues very public.

Does a person in the right frame of mind create a BF account to abuse posters and make threats?

you could see them as baseless claims but I dare say he was there and simply passing a reasonable opinion of what he recalls. he is not required to provide proof to pass an opinion but he does have the obligation to be reasonable. I dare say the Cousins, Kerr, Gardner, Mainwaring and co sagas would support that his comments were reasonable.

I think Cox is on record of saying WCE players were on drugs, meaning he is not alone in his recollection.

I am all for people speaking out.....like Ken Judge. They should be listened to and not pushed out the door. They also have a legal obligation to adhere but that is for the courts to decide. I doubt it will get to the courts though as a judge would giggle if it was suggested it was unreasonable to suggest some WCE players weren't on drugs.

Please, give me a break.

Of course people involved in that era are going to are going to deny, deny, deny. Self interest at it's best and because of the time lapse it's going to be hard to prove.

That fact the AFL has not released the report into the inquiry into the club smacks of trying to sweep this under the carpet, exactly liked they tried to do with the Essendon saga. It's the AFL way.

You would have to be extremely naive to think that a group of players that were clearly out of control with their drug use would not also dabble with tem on match day.

Please, give me a break.

Of course people involved in that era are going to are going to deny, deny, deny. Self interest at it's best and because of the time lapse it's going to be hard to prove.

That fact the AFL has not released the report into the inquiry into the club smacks of trying to sweep this under the carpet, exactly liked they tried to do with the Essendon saga. It's the AFL way.

You would have to be extremely naive to think that a group of players that were clearly out of control with their drug use would not also dabble with tem on match day.
Exactly . And no matter what you think of Chick he has no reason to blow the whistle and put himself in this position for a bunch of lies . Come on Folks !

Please, give me a break.

Assume makes an ass out of u and me.

oh and the Herald have an obligation to print stories that are factual and can't rely upon "I just published what he said" as a defence. Especially if they know the person is unstable or unreliable.

finger still pointing at the Herald not some half wit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the butterfly effect

Ken Judge reports drug use to the administration. The administration provide drug awareness, education and other regimes within the concept of "duty of care".

Mainwaring jnr still has a father, cousins still has a brain, Kerr isn't like the character from Carrie etc etc

I guess little things can have big consequences

In saying that.. If that were the case, there are a million better ways he could of gone about it.

Perhaps even an article on that specific issue, I'd imagine public pressure and the perceived prying eyes would of forced the club to pay for rehab, even if there was a dispute 'behind the scenes'.

Very true not the best way of going about it but would be hoping he has at least approached them for the same deal as Cousins first would expect so but I don't know.
I do know how big organisations work and it never cease to amaze me how they wont always do the right thing if they can get away with it they will burn employees without flinching organisations such as many of the people who run that club are involved with so it wouldn't surprise me if he has reached the point where he wants to fight back somehow.

Look at Ken Judge's coaching record at WCE and the reason he was shown the door is very apparent.

As for chick's recollections of game day prednisone abuse, Richard Ings refuted that pretty well in interviews. Basically he said footballers with a therapeutic exemption to use prednisone for asthma were only cleared to use a certain dosage on game day. If the took prednisone on game day it had to be cleared by the doc and then were tested. If levels showed higher than allowed dosage their therapeutic exemption is revoked and they are issued drug violations. No WCE were issued these violations for prednisone. Highly unlikely according to Is that WCE were able to pop prednisone like lollies.

Yes party drugs off field were the rumours, not game day match fixing. I personally think the only memories Chick had of his time at Hawks and Eagles is stuff people show him in photos and the Internet.

Last edited:
Imagine the butterfly effect

Ken Judge reports drug use to the administration. The administration provide drug awareness, education and other regimes within the concept of "duty of care".

Mainwaring jnr still has a father, cousins still has a brain, Kerr isn't like the character from Carrie etc etc

I guess little things can have big consequences
sorry, your counterfactual is way off the mark. waaaaaayy offff.

these were young men at the top of their game, fame, money, adulation, women...

the club would have required to pull the trigger on some players, and sack them, when they ticked all the boxed previously with education and motherhood statements and platitudes.

remind me how they handled sacking Albert at Windy Hill? right. everyone arked up, the lawyers came in, and nothing changed but a few scapegoats.

The president and some boardmembers may have resigned at West Coast, but I think they would have steamrolled ahead to the grandfinal. It was not gonna be happy ever after for the players, but many made their beds, and tasted the forbidden fruit willingly and with agency

you mean conflating iris/pupil.

use it as metaphor, there is something strange going on with Novak's eyes, and I guarantee this is some stimulant to aid his tennis game
Even if it's true that Novak is using some sort of stimulant, it would not be as strong as meth. There comes a point when the stimulation affects your decision making skills and response times.

Look at Ken Judge's coaching record at WCE and the reason he was shown the door is very apparent.

As for chick's recollections of game day prednisone abuse, Richard Ings refuted that pretty well in interviews. Basically he said footballers with a therapeutic exemption to use prednisone for asthma were only cleared to use a certain dosage on game day. If the took prednisone on game day it had to be cleared by the doc and the were tested. If levels showed higher than allowed dosage their therapeutic exemption is revoked and they are issued drug violations. No WCE were issued these violations for prednisone. Highly unlikely according to Is that WCE were able to pop prednisone like lollies.

Yes party drugs of field were the rumours, not game day match fixing. I personally think the only memories Chick had of his time at Hawks and Eagles is stuff people show him in photos and the Internet.

Interesting you bring up Ings as comments as a defence. Here is a tweet that he tweeted this morning.

Here are his exact words. (sorry couldn't get a screenshot)

"Mr Chick is outlining the match day use of banned sustance outside TUE limitations.
Pretty much shows how useless testing can be."

Ken Judge was sacked because he was a crap coach, we were the most uncompetitive outfit I have seen in '01.

I personally don't like the attacks on Chick regarding the timing of the news story. I wonder when Chick made the comments? I trust the Herald is the one responsible for the timing and not Chick.

I wonder if Chick will comment about heroin, cocaine etc and I wonder if any comments will be made about administrations personal habits? Fish do rot from the head.

I also wondered if Ken Judge was pushed out the door because he informed administration of the drug issues? If that was the case, are they liable?

perhaps its all too late and no one cares but the players themselves and the administration will have to take ownership of the dead, the drug fkd and the broken. This impact is not limited to the players but their wives, parents, children, broader families, friends and of course society.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps we shouldn't shoot down guys like Chick, perhaps we should listen. We might have something to learn and better understand his motivations.

If Chick really cared about player welfare why would he go to a hack newspaper?

The AFL has a very dubious record where they manipulate outcomes to keep themselves in a good light so you wouldn't go to them.

Perhaps ASADA or WADA.

I agree that the Herald Sun needs to be held accountable because they have given Chick a platform.

He should also be held accountable.

And to name other players is just pure maggot behaviour.

I think the Herald Sun has taken him for a ride, but it's his own fault. Clearly not the brightest crayon in the box.

Very true not the best way of going about it but would be hoping he has at least approached them for the same deal as Cousins first would expect so but I don't know.
I do know how big organisations work and it never cease to amaze me how they wont always do the right thing if they can get away with it they will burn employees without flinching organisations such as many of the people who run that club are involved with so it wouldn't surprise me if he has reached the point where he wants to fight back somehow.

this assumes that Chick had the ability and experience to navigate the minefield, and the strategic awareness about corporate communications, and the tactical know-how, and the means to tackle it, and wise counsel. He did not have Ian Hanke in his corner did he? You are assuming mental omniscience and a utopia for outcomes. This is not plausible.

someone said before, the true people with the power and influence here are the Herald Sun editor and reporter, how long have they sat on this story for? a week? before last weeks victory over north melbourne? Why have the press caught him transiting from airports?

there are many pieces of information that can give you some overarching view. But not a pollyanna one for Chick and West Coast. They are both in invidious corners

Interesting you bring up Ings as comments as a defence. Here is a tweet that he tweeted this morning.

Here are his exact words. (sorry couldn't get a screenshot)

"Mr Chick is outlining the match day use of banned sustance outside TUE limitations.
Pretty much shows how useless testing can be."
Can only go on the procedures they used. And the interview is available on 6pr website so you can hear his exact words.
FwIW if you continue reading his twitter feed after that tweet he says did not know any issues with prednisone detection and those players were target tested all the time. Perhaps he was saying if chick's allegations were true then testing would have to be useless given all the testing that went on.

Even if it's true that Novak is using some sort of stimulant, it would not be as strong as meth. There comes a point when the stimulation affects your decision making skills and response times.
yeah, but lets give the athletes who use the PEDs and stimulants a degree of credit. They are only using these products to improve their game or time, not go backwards, so the heuristic would already have calculated this point.

my caveat: i am assuming these exogenous aids, they will affect the brain chemistry over time, and like you cycle your roids, so your body will start producing testo, like you build a tolerance to heroin and need to use more for the same equivalent effect for your hit, I think some peds will have a use-by date, and I dont think you can go thru an entire career arked up up stimulants. In cycling they call it pot-Belge, which is using a mixture of opiates/coke/speed/caffeine, and some other gear, its really a cocktail. no wonder athletes have trouble transitioning to normal life in retirement.

sorry, your counterfactual is way off the mark. waaaaaayy offff.

these were young men at the top of their game, fame, money, adulation, women...

the club would have required to pull the trigger on some players, and sack them, when they ticked all the boxed previously with education and motherhood statements and platitudes.

remind me how they handled sacking Albert at Windy Hill? right. everyone arked up, the lawyers came in, and nothing changed but a few scapegoats.

The president and some boardmembers may have resigned at West Coast, but I think they would have steamrolled ahead to the grandfinal. It was not gonna be happy ever after for the players, but many made their beds, and tasted the forbidden fruit willingly and with agency

I think the Ablett issue highlighted the lack of professionalism in the game at the time. Where people were elected to run clubs because they were popular.

Unfortunately the world has moved on and it doesn't matter how you are appointed, you have obligations and a duty of care.

It is not a bad thing, it just means we can't just let things go through to the keeper anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back