Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Flynn - all of your comments are fair and reasonable - my point is that if you are on an AFL list you have to be around the mark. They guy is loved by the club and his teammates. I only question - is he going to play an afl match?
There will be no doubt a lot of effort and resources from coaches and staff trying to get him up to a certain standard - I hope he makes it.

Do you know how the international rookie system works?

Simply put he sits outside of the list so isn't taking a spot that could be occupied by any other player (aside from another international rookie) so there is no opportunity cost. It is a very low risk with potential high reward from both a team perspective and club marketing standpoint.
Thanks Killer - it's relatively low risk - obviously there is a $ cost of probably of around $100,000 per year + any ongoing 'issues' that might crop up.
Good luck to lad.

Thanks Killer - it's relatively low risk - obviously there is a $ cost of probably of around $100,000 per year + any ongoing 'issues' that might crop up.
Good luck to lad.
Rookies get paid like 50-60k IIRC. The kid has bags of potential and you want to throw him to the wolves because his skills weren't up to it in the first or second game of competitive footy he's played in his life. The low risk/high reward here is too great to pass up on. You are aware more than a few clubs were lining up for his signature before finding out we already signed him, right?

Re Flynn - all of your comments are fair and reasonable - my point is that if you are on an AFL list you have to be around the mark. They guy is loved by the club and his teammates. I only question - is he going to play an afl match?

Yes, provided he comes back and works hard.

You're just making random crazy statements based on nothing whatsoever. No one who saw that game with our reserves team playing the Crows came away with anything but good things to say about his game, save for the fact he got caught HTB a couple of times. Your recollections are bizarre and false.

To all the Flynn knockers out there. He done a s**t load more than Ah Chee in that praccy match, and he's a guy who has been on our list for a few years now.

May be true but I want Ah Chee to be successful and break into our side this year too

Yes, provided he comes back and works hard.

You're just making random crazy statements based on nothing whatsoever. No one who saw that game with our reserves team playing the Crows came away with anything but good things to say about his game, save for the fact he got caught HTB a couple of times. Your recollections are bizarre and false.
Strange hey.

I watched the trial game v the Crows and was thinking, if we had drafted Flynn with a first rounder, people would be penciling him in for round 1.

Simply put he sits outside of the list so isn't taking a spot that could be occupied by any other player (aside from another international rookie) so there is no opportunity cost. It is a very low risk with potential high reward from both a team perspective and club marketing standpoint.
I believe we can sign up to 2 or 4 Int Rookies? True?

Far out - ruthless much?

How about give the kid 12 months before we even BEGIN to speculate if he'll make it or not!

Thank god Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard made the starts they did!

(actually, no, I remember many posters having a crack at Wingard for a variety of reasons in his first year and look how he turned out lol)

Chill out!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a shame thread, where we highlight all the terrible premature calls made on our 1st and 2nd year players.

An entire collection of premature rejectulation ?

It would definitely be a sticky...

I'll put my hand up and admit I was a fair w***er in the last thread about Flynn.

But unlike a couple of people in this thread now.
I seriously, seriously rate the kid.
I will put it out there now that I think IF he does come back, he will get a game late next year.

I was scouring the net during the last few months for articles about him from Irish newspapers looking for interviews for him seeing if he made any hints about coming back.

I want him to succeed because he seems like a great guy and the players spoke highly of him.

I get it guys - you obviously saw something in him that I didn't. Let hope you are on the money - I am waiting to hear what the official club view is on him. Has anyone heard?

We need a shame thread, where we highlight all the terrible premature calls made on our 1st and 2nd year players.

Like all the people that wanted O'Shea assissinated?

And the ones that though Betty Jacobs would make it.... :oops:

You don't need any such name and shame threads. It is all part of the fun of following football to make some premature calls and watching it unfold. The important thing is to not be derogatory when discussing a player/coach and be willing to be honest if you were wrong and modest if you were right.

Flynn did ok in his trial game but based on that performance I personally was concerned about him playing SANFL league from the get go. He was clearly forgetting about the closer attention in the Australian game. It would be better for his own well-being to begin in the Academy team under special exemption from the SANFL. Thus far some of our young AFL players have been sniped a couple of times already.

Of course, he can have intention to return to Australia but it is getting past the mental barrier that will get him to return, and stay longer.

You don't need any such name and shame threads. It is all part of the fun of following football to make some premature calls and watching it unfold. The important thing is to not be derogatory when discussing a player/coach and be willing to be honest if you were wrong and modest if you were right.

Well said. :thumbsu:

Or all the people that thought Keith Thomas was a sanfl stooge brought in to finish off Port?

I got Thomas right, Koch wrong, O'Shea right and Jerkobs wrong.

100% correct in everything else I have ever said about anything.

I believe we can sign up to 2 or 4 Int Rookies? True?

We can have up to 3 category B rookies which includes international rookies. This is on top of the standard 6 category A rookies clubs are entitled to if their main list only has the minimum 38. Clubs with 40 on the main list can only have 4 category A rookies.

Why isnt this kid All Australian yet...wait, can he be all Australian? Anyway, he has had a pre-season already and yet still ain't commanding a spot in the first 18. Delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back