Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

:(wow that is SO disappointing :thumbsdown:
Give it a week or two it's pretty clear the players and the club want him back. Phones are useless in situations like this we really need Boaky and Brad knocking on his door dragging him down to the local and having a chat.

Is the cost of an international rookie really that much more than the cost involved in any other player? The flights, yes, but surely every other other new player has similar training, ancillary, housing costs. It probably only becomes an issue when the cap on football department spending is enforced.

When it comes to Cat B rookies, Irish players are the proven path. When it comes to this type of rookie, clubs have essentially 3 choices: draft an overseas project, draft a mature aged Aussie from a different sport or don't draft anyone. For clubs who can afford it, it's really a no-brainer, provided the homesickness issue can be overcome, which is really an intangible that is difficult to assess when selecting these players. Perhaps the best safeguard is to do what Carlton did with Ciaran Sheehan and now Freo with Sean Hurley and bring them over a couple of times over the space of 2-3 years and ensure that they're appetite is still there for it as they mature. Plus a 22/23 year old is far less likely to be homesick than an 18/19 year old.

For all the failures that have occurred, are project players any less likely to succeed than a kid drafted via traditional routes at pick 60-70 in the rookie draft? I wouldn't have thought so, while there is the upside of turning a player into a Hanley or Kennelly. It wouldn't surprise me to see Carlton get 40-50 games out of their 3 Irish players this year which would be a massive win and ultimately gives the club huge flexibility when the assess their trade/drafting options in the coming years.

You raise a lot of good points that I tend to agree with, the $ comment was more so directed at the approach of not taking a Cat B rookie at all and funneling that $100k into existing player development programs.

I get the feeling (not basing it on anything concrete, since I don't know any more than anyone here) this is not over. I won't believe he has given up on Australia until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Jason Ryan (Kildare coach) has a track record of spin and with that in mind, his comments so far are not definitive. The lack of information on all sides lead me to a hunch there is something going on the general public in both Kildare and SA is unaware of.

I get the feeling (not basing it on anything concrete, since I don't know any more than anyone here) this is not over. I won't believe he has given up on Australia until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Jason Ryan (Kildare coach) has a track record of spin and with that in mind, his comments so far are not definitive. The lack of information on all sides lead me to a hunch there is something going on the general public in both Kildare and SA is unaware of.

Yeah well... I'm 90% sure Flynn's not going to make it long term, but farrrk if he does... that 10% makes me drool. Damn, send someone to Ireland, fetch the waif and bring him back... he'll enliven the SANFL this season if nowt else.

That's the difference - Flynn never grew up desperately wanting to play Australian Football 20,000km away from home, maybe you did - or you now want to.

The reason I said if we go on another Irish recruiting drive then we have to go for someone from a place where there is 300k - ok looks like I should adjust that to 100k, so that we have more than 2 -3 places to choice from, is kids who grow up around a bigger town or city, know about other options when they get home sick. How many galleries or museums or music shows/concerts or cafes would Flynn go and wonder around to on a slow quiet day when he was at home in a village?? Cant go to the pub - that stuffs up your fitness. Anyone coming from Ireland or any other country is going to be home sick at some point. But if you have grown up in a town or city as opposed to a village you grew up looking at options to get over your boredom and are more likely to adapt and find the things similar to home.

I think you'd have to live in Ireland to understand the logistics of rural living and how it is in no way comparable to rural Australia. As pointed out, Flynn lives quite close to Dublin, and would be as close to the city centre as some Australians considered in a city would be to their city centre. It really isnt a factor to consider only cities in Ireland over 100,000 population. The vast majority of GAA players are rural based from small towns or villages. My initial point is that Flynn coming from a village is not the reason he couldnt adapt to Adelaide. Its not as if Adelaide is this huge over bearing city that would be hard to get used to, its probably the quietest and easiest place to adapt if you were used to a quiet life. And it wont be the reason other players fail or succeed there in AFL. Pearce Hanley comes from a similar place to Flynn, except he lives even further away from any main metropolis cities.

Its hit and miss on these recruits from Ireland. Far more fail than succeed. Thats just a fact. Like draft picks where some will take to the professional life or not, its the same on GAA players, with the added risk factor of them not settling so far away from home and also the risk factor of never having played the game before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, surely someone on here has a hot 20yo daughter or milfy missus they are willing to sacrifice for the greater good!!!

He's good as gone. Time to move on now. He's had 2 chances. I bid him farewell

You tread heavily
but you speak the truth.

I was swept up as well
but maybe not to be

for our Flynns our Flynn
and forever be
the one for you
and the one for me
and what
and what
could da been

Tear he's contract up. Could of had a talented local with a few years in the system already. He's being paid very good money. This isn't mickeymouse Irish footy enough is enough.

Your probably right
got misty eyed there for awhile.
Down to business for the greater good,
onwards to vick tory
aw'lll hail the bla.k an. th' why ta

Tear he's contract up. Could of had a talented local with a few years in the system already. He's being paid very good money. This isn't mickeymouse Irish footy enough is enough.

How do you figure?

He is a category B rookie ie in addition to the maximum 44 so any local to replace him would have to be a basketballer, cricketer, volleyballer, from either rugby code, soccer, darts, hockey, croquet, hockey, equestrian etc etc.

Any local category B rockie is not allowed to have played in a registered Australian Football competition for 3 years or more.We dont have access to any other type of category B rookies - who are local boys - and fit the definition under AFL Player Rules 21.1.2

take a magpies junior, fly him over to ireland to live for a year, then recruit him as an undercover cat b rookie

it is not draft tampering and it would have worked
Its not draft tampering but AFL Player Rule 21.1.2 (b) stops that type of category B rookie as the GM Football Operations has to be of the opinion the player has "lived for a substantial period of time in Ireland prior to inclusion on the Rookie List."

21.1.2 (a)(v) is the same restriction for non Irish - International players that clubs would like to have as category B rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back