Boxing Daniel Geale vs Miguel Cotto for WBC title - June 6th

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotto can’t afford to look bad against Geale this Saturday

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/05/cot ... -saturday/

With a big money fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez slated for the fall, WBC middleweight belt holder Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) absolutely has to look good this Saturday, June 6th, in his fight against #6 WBC Daniel Geale (31-3, 16 KOs) at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

While a loss for the 34-year-old Cotto won’t stop the Canelo fight from getting made, it will take away a lot of money that he and 24-year-old Canelo can scoop up from the U.S boxing public from HBO pay-per-view. Some fans will still gladly purchase the Cotto-Canelo fight even if Cotto loses or looks really bad against the 34-year-old Geale, but you have to believe the PPV numbers will be far fewer than they would if Cotto destroys Geale on Saturday night.

“There’s no fight in boxing that’s as big as this,” Roc Nation Sports chief operating officer David Itskowitch said via the nydailynews.com in referring to the Cotto vs. Canelo fight. “There’s no fight in boxing that’s as big as this.”

"There’s too much money in the Cotto-Canelo fight, and I can’t see the judges giving the win to Geale no matter how good he looks".

Really indicates Daniel Geale will be up against it against Cotto. Fighting away from home, 3 pounds below the official middleweight limit and experts predicting no matter how good Geale looks on the night they can’t see the judges awarding him the win. Still, some thought the same about Geale's chances when he went to Germany and won Sylvester's belt, and again when he returned to Germany and won Sturm's belt.

WAR Geale!

7 days out from the fight and Daniel Geale is 167.5 pounds and Miguel Cotto 163.6 pounds.

weigh-7-dias-gaele-cotto.jpg

Geale already looking on the skinny side but still has a lot of weight to shed.

Cotto is adamant if Geale doesn't make 157 pounds there will be no fight.

As the days countdown...im more hyped for this than the may v pac fight

As the days countdown...im more hyped for this than the may v pac fight

Likewise, but I still have some reservations about Geale making 157 pounds and being strong and durable at that weight.

That Geale weighed in 10.5 pounds over only 7 days out was, on face value at least, very concerning. But there could be some mind games being played out by Shaw & Co too. Perhaps Geale had a roast dinner just prior to the 7 day weigh-in? ;)

Likewise, but I still have some reservations about Geale making 157 pounds and being strong and durable at that weight.

That Geale weighed in 10.5 pounds over only 7 days out was, on face value at least, very concerning. But there could be some mind games being played out by Shaw & Co too. Perhaps Geale had a roast dinner just prior to the 7 day weigh-in? ;)

He wouldn't have started his weight cut yet though would he? I thought 10 pounds would be easy enough to get rid of for a pro boxer, in fact I thought he would be doing this most fights anyway. I do like the big dinner theory though.

Graham Shaw confident Geale can make weight >

“He’ll make the weight with no doubt 157,” Shaw said. “We took the fight with the catch weight, it should be 160 but we’re not going to moan about it. We signed the contract at 157, so we’re not going to make a big deal about it.”

Shaw feels that this week has been riddled with more questions about Gennady Golovkinand Canelo Alvarez with less being about Daniel Geale. He feels his fighter is being overlooked.

“I wouldn’t talk about a fight after I have a fight in front of me,” Shaw said. “I wouldn’t do it but Miguel’s certainly got a lot of good people in front of him so if they want to talk up another fight, they can do that but I certainly wouldn’t do that.”

http://www.boxingscene.com/daniel-geales-trainer-well-make-157-no-doubt--91889?

He wouldn't have started his weight cut yet though would he? I thought 10 pounds would be easy enough to get rid of for a pro boxer, in fact I thought he would be doing this most fights anyway. I do like the big dinner theory though.

An intelligent, career fighter like Geale would know his body better than his missus. He is used to making 160, and the only thing causing anyone any anxiety in him making 157 would be the pre-fight weigh-in results we've been reading. Probably should have taken them with a grain of salt.

Just hope Geale is strong and durable at 157, because he wouldn't have been there for years.

Geale vs Cotto - When 3 pounds is a heavy issue

http://www.boxingscene.com/cotto-geale-three-pounds-heavy-issue--91904

Miguel Cotto is one of the best, most tested, and toughest matched fighters of his generation. Miguel Cotto is not a modern Middleweight.

That’s why it’s so unfortunate that he’s the current Middleweight Champion of the World, at least in terms of history and the WBC belt.

With much adieu in social media, and with the clock ticking to the weigh-in Friday, it remains to be seen if Cotto’s challenger this weekend can make the contracted weight for the fight. Oh, we know Daniel Geale can make the Middleweight limit of 160 lbs.

The former unified Middleweight beltholder has been making 160 most of his career.

The contracted weight for this fight, as requested by the Middleweight champion, is three pounds under that limit. Whether that affects the outcome of the fight might be tough to assess.............the article continues and is well worth a read.

Geale capable of upsetting Cotto

Well known Australian promoter Peter Maniatis believes that the agreed upon 157 pound catch-weight could hinder Daniel Geale in his middleweight title fight against Miguel Cotto on Saturday at the Barclays Center in New York.

But, he said Geale “doesn’t have massive power to overwhelm Cotto but could surprise people because the Australian is a capable fighter and is definitely Australia’s best fighter today.”

Maniatis said if Geale fights a smart fight he could win on points over Cotto, the reigning WBC middleweight champion who insisted that the catch-weight of 157 was “our main point to make this fight happen. They agreed to go down to 157 and I hope he (Geale) can be 157 on Friday” at the official weigh-in.

Miguel Cotto vs. Daniel Geale: Catch Me If You Can

http://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/miguel-cotto-vs-daniel-geale-catch-me-if-you-can/42185

Reports have swirled in the last few days that Geale was well over the goal weight and has struggled in recent times making the 160 pound limit let alone 157. Add to the fact that he will need plenty of energy to use constant movement and activity in order to produce a victory. A fight at 160 versus a quality guy like Geale would probably have caused some form of issue for Miguel. After all it’s not like Cotto has been campaigning as a middleweight for long and has only one fight against a smallish 160 pounder in Sergio Martinez. Geale has the skill to make this bout interesting but will he have the stamina to match that skill is the true question.

It may be risky but wise for Geale to take a hefty fine instead of whittling down every ounce on his body. It’s a risk for sure but a calculated risk that this scribe sees as a smart move in this instance. Then again maybe Cotto does back up his bark and bites down hard to cancel the event as promised.

Geale has a blend of that straight-up euro stance mixed with an awkward bouncy style. Being on the move for the majority of a fight puts a lot of work on a boxers legs, if you combine that with health and a nervous bounce it may result in a flat performance for Geale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GEALE MADE WEIGHT

Geale 157 pounds
Cotto 153.6 pounds

Daniel Geale has managed to starve his way down to 157 pounds after over 24 hours without any food whatsoever. Geale spent the final 36 hours before weigh in on a 'diet' of hot baths with epsom salts, chewing gum, limited food and small sips of water.

692487-0fd31490-0bc2-11e5-8b7f-051b649b2c62.jpg

Cotto and Geale face-off at the weigh-in

Absolutely f*cking ridiculous that a career middleweight should have to starve himself down to 157 pounds to contest the 160 pound limit middleweight title.

How Geale will come up 24 hours after a nightmare preparation like that is anyone's guess? If it was you or I we'd probably be off to the hospital for an intravenous drip.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-new-york-fight/story-fni2fnkz-1227385692141

Geale sees advantages to gain edge over Cotto

http://www.boxingscene.com/geale-sees-advantages-gain-edge-over-cotto--91945

Daniel Geale is ready for his WBC middleweight world-title fight in New York, dealing an early blow to champion Miguel Cotto. Cotto's camp demanded the much taller Geale come in at the catch weight of 157-pounds for Saturday's big money bout at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

At Friday's weigh-in Geale stripped down to his Aboriginal print underpants, stepped on the scales and when it was announced he had come right on the mark he clenched his right fist victoriously.

His promoter Gary Shaw smiled and light-heartedly taunted members of the press who predicted Geale wouldn't make the weight.

Geale said there will be no surprises about his fight plan for the smaller, but aggressive Cotto.

"He knows I've got a longer reach and I'll use that to my advantage, but he will be trying to get in there, rush me and get in close as much as possible and cut me off."

For some reason I'm pretty confident in Geale to get the job done.

Fight DAY!!

For some reason I'm pretty confident in Geale to get the job done.

Fight DAY!!

Geez, I wish I could say the same. But the 24 hours without any food whatsoever to make weight bit worries me.

If the fight had been at the full 160 pound limit I would have liked Geale's chances a lot more. The bookies are giving him almost no chance and that is usually a bad sign too.

Alex Steedman, Mick Parkinson & Colin Hart from Box Nation discuss today's fight >

I must admit I get a laugh out of people pointing at Geale's loss to Golovkin as being significant.

IMO there are only two types of middleweights, those who have already lost to Golovkin, and those who will when they fight him.

Look how drawn in the face Daniel Geale is in this close-up. Plainly the weight loss is going to be a factor >

geale-face-off-1.jpg

Geale: Team Cotto not expecting much of a challenge

http://www.boxingscene.com/geale-team-cotto-not-expecting-much-challenge--91959

After forcing Australian boxer Daniel Geale to starve himself to make weight, WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto plans to go in the for the kill.

Cotto is the short-priced favorite to defend his title, but the aggressive Puerto Rican also has the most to lose with a pay-per-view mega fight with Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez pencilled in later in the year.

"They're looking past me, which has given me extra motivation," Geale said.

"They're expecting me not to put up much of a challenge."

The question is: how much of a toll did Geale's fasting take on him?

ESPN described Geale as looking "as dry as a potato chip" at the weigh-in and Cotto's trainer Freddie Roach was licking his lips at the prospect of taking advantage of the weakened Australian.

"For the first five rounds, we're going all body (attack)," Roach told ESPN.

"He seemed fragile and very, very thin."

Daniel Geale looks to derail Miguel Cotto's plans for the future

http://www.examiner.com/article/daniel-geale-looks-to-derail-miguel-cotto-s-plans-for-the-future

Australian middleweight Daniel Geale steps into the biggest fight of his life as a heavy underdog. Geale, 31-3, (16) will take on future Hall-of-Famer, Miguel Cotto at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Geale will by vying for the lineal middleweight championship that Cotto strong armed from Sergio Martinez last year at Madison Square Garden. Geale’s path to the borough of kings wasn’t any easy one. Before the fight could be made, Geale had to adhere to two contractual stipulations at the request of Team Cotto. The first being that Geale agree to fight Cotto in his adopted home of New York City, and the second condition being that they meet at a catch weight of 157 pounds. The middleweight limit is 160, which should make fight fans question the legitimacy of Cotto’s first defense of the middleweight strap.

“I’m going to have to go out there and be very convincing because I’ll have everything up against me,” Geale said during a recent media conference call. “But I’ve been in these positions before so I know what I have to do. I’ve been in large fights where I’ve had whole crowds against me. These sorts of fights get me real excited and I’ve trained really well. I’m not coming over here to be an opponent.”

The Cotto-Geale fight will be televised on HBO tonight, June 6 beginning at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back