Delisted Daniel Markworth

Afl.com.au is reporting another injury with Markworth missing 4weeks in pre season

Scar tissue setback for Saint Markworth

Jennifer Phelan December 20, 2013 12:59 PM
ST KILDA youngster Daniel Markworth has had a minor setback in his recovery from a knee reconstruction, undergoing an arthroscope to remove scar tissue.
The 21-year-old is expected to be out of action for two to three weeks after the minor surgery, which took place after the Saints returned from Colorado last week.
It is the second year running Markworth has injured the knee while on an overseas training venture.
He landed awkwardly on his reconstructed right knee when he came down from taking a mark and tried to turn quickly.
Last year, it was an innocuous training incident in the days before the end of the trip that caused the ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.
This week's minor repair is not expected to seriously impact the highly-touted forward's pre-season, after he began to build up his fitness work in July.
It was then that he travelled to the Gold Coast for a two-week training burst with former ironman champion Trevor Hendy.
Markworth was drafted with the Saints' NAB AFL Draft selection of No.35 in 2011 and is yet to make his AFL debut.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought knee arthroscope's were regular occurrences? More so of a clean up than a serious surgery. To be honest when I read it I thought it would have been a planned surgery timed around Christmas so he misses the smallest possible time.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
I feel like they have pieced together him tweaking his knee slightly and him having routine cleanup surgery to create a shitty article.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-30/forgotten-saint-worth-the-wait

DANIEL Markworth’s speed and agility are what got him drafted in 2011 and he’s widely regarded as the most explosive player on St Kilda’s list. It’s these attributes that will earn him a senior debut in 2014, he hopes.

But unlike 2012, when he was named as an emergency on three occasions, the 22-year-old is content to let outcome take care of itself – so long as he’s fully focussed on the process.

“My goal is to keep improving,” Markworth told SAINTS.com.au in an exclusive interview this week.

“Whether or not that results in an AFL game in two weeks or a month or three months, I’m not too sure.

Boar

Rookie
Nov 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
In terms of our list, can someone explain to me why Markworth is still on it?
I'm not having a go here at all, I'm just not sure what he'll provide at this point- he's 3 or 4 seasons in, had multiple injuries and yet to debut, right? Can someone explain to me what type of player he is, and/or give a comparable AFL player example so I can gauge what he's like.
He's constantly discussed in starting line ups, have read multiple articles about how well he'll be going in a preseason and then of course, injury strikes.

He's had a poor run of injuries, granted, but surely if he doesn't debut this year he's destined for the chop? Massive question mark over his head and hugely frustrating

I'm not having a go here at all, I'm just not sure what he'll provide at this point- he's 3 or 4 seasons in, had multiple injuries and yet to debut, right? Can someone explain to me what type of player he is, and/or give a comparable AFL player example so I can gauge what he's like.
He's constantly discussed in starting line ups, have read multiple articles about how well he'll be going in a preseason and then of course, injury strikes.

He's had a poor run of injuries, granted, but surely if he doesn't debut this year he's destined for the chop? Massive question mark over his head and hugely frustrating
Still on the list because we feel he's worth persisting with and has just been very unlucky, but I think if he has another bad run this year then that will probably be it. Very quick HF/mid but doesn't have a great history of finding the ball and that's at VFL level. Hopefully he's better second year back from a knee.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

I believe he was exceptional at some other sports – basketball and tennis if I recall and came back to TAC cup only late in his development. He always looked like a bit of a project and wasn’t really a surprise that he didn’t play in year 1 as a relatively tall and skinny kid. He was emergency late in the year a few times and Sandy’s best in the losing final they played that year. … Then a knee injury in year 2 and a re-group year 3. I wasn’t surprised that he wasn’t exceptional this season.
I think you’re right that he needs to get a push on now, but unless he really teeters, I’d suggest he’d be worth another year in 2016. He might be one that ultimately doesn’t make it, but doesn’t seem to be a kid that will leave anything unturned to get there. Particularly with some good tricks: incredibly quick for a 6’3’er.
I find it really difficult to find a similar player. Probably a tall wingman/high HFFer. Not unlike Isaac Smith I suppose, but still doesn’t feel right.

Boar

Rookie
Nov 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I believe he was exceptional at some other sports – basketball and tennis if I recall and came back to TAC cup only late in his development. He always looked like a bit of a project and wasn’t really a surprise that he didn’t play in year 1 as a relatively tall and skinny kid. He was emergency late in the year a few times and Sandy’s best in the losing final they played that year. … Then a knee injury in year 2 and a re-group year 3. I wasn’t surprised that he wasn’t exceptional this season.
I think you’re right that he needs to get a push on now, but unless he really teeters, I’d suggest he’d be worth another year in 2016. He might be one that ultimately doesn’t make it, but doesn’t seem to be a kid that will leave anything unturned to get there. Particularly with some good tricks: incredibly quick for a 6’3’er.
I find it really difficult to find a similar player. Probably a tall wingman/high HFFer. Not unlike Isaac Smith I suppose, but still doesn’t feel right.

Cheers for that. Hopefully he comes through but I have my reservations- he's frustratingly holding up a list spot from someone like a Taylor this year, or a Petrenko- certainly not superstars but can provide immediate list depth...The loyalty shown in keeping him on is admirable but at some point, and I say soon (if he has a poor year, which I hope he doesn't), we'll need to cut our losses!

A more athletic Andrejs Everitt?

A less talented Jared Brennan?

What about our version of Jack Watts circa 2014? Big athletic wingman who played as a 3rd tall in both attack and defence at a pinch.

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

I don't think you would find too many better comparisons than Isaac Smith. He might be taller but he doesn't play tall. At Sandringham I have never really seen him really look like an aerial threat.

A taller Isaac Smith without the raking left foot and a smaller tank is a pretty good comparison in my opinion.

As for why is he on the list, well, speed. We need it, he has it. Also has decent enough skills and is an extremely intelligent bloke who seems to want to work hard. I have not given up hope yet, although it is a big year for him.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cheers for that. Hopefully he comes through but I have my reservations- he's frustratingly holding up a list spot from someone like a Taylor this year, or a Petrenko- certainly not superstars but can provide immediate list depth...The loyalty shown in keeping him on is admirable but at some point, and I say soon (if he has a poor year, which I hope he doesn't), we'll need to cut our losses!

I don't think we are keeping him to be loyal or admirable or as a favour to him.
We think he has more upside than those two fringe players which will be better for us.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeahhhhhh if it came to keeping either Markworth or another rookie, Markworth wins that one pretty easily.
I took a look at the video above and I had forgotten how quick he really is. Hopefully he can find some space at AFL, as it can be a bit scrappy and clogged at VFL.

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like that the mods moved this thread from the players board for a bit of Dan Markworth discussion.

I like how the Essendon board do similar but does look a bit messy sometimes.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Petrenko providing list depth.....? :eek:

lol_ricky_gervais.gif

I get we're on the bottom of the ladder, but surely we shouldn't make ourselves a bloody charity case. Petrenko nominated for National Draft, PSD & Rookie draft & every single club including our own took a pass on him..... If that doesn't tell you that the player is a spud, then I can't help you

Last edited:
image.jpg

The lad's got a decent set of shoulders on him now...

Started at 76kg, so he had a long way to go, but listed now at 84kg and I wouldn't be surprised if he was bigger than that, but - not surprisingly for a bloke who's had leg troubles - he still needs to build some mass on his pins.

Also looks taller than 189cm.

Have very high hopes for him if he gets some luck. Put him on the opposite wing from Blacres, then sit back and watch the festivities.

Last edited:
Back