Delisted Daniel Markworth

Siposs, Schneider, Fisher, Simpkin, Shenton, Minchington...

Plenty in the gun for coming off the list at the end of 2015 already. Not to mention Dempster possibly retiring and Gilbert's injury issues.

Markworth should be safe until the end of 2016.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very excited about him in the up coming season, just needs some luck for once. Looks to have built up well in he shoulders and has a good frame and height, with his pace could be anything if he gets some continuity.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very excited about him in the up coming season, just needs some luck for once. Looks to have built up well in he shoulders and has a good frame and height, with his pace could be anything if he gets some continuity.

Yes hopefully he can be one of our "new" recruits of the year.

bsk2002

Senior List
Oct 26, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
356211.jpg

Looking like a gorilla..

With his pace, I'm really hoping he can cut it as an outside mid, with a good degree of contested marking.
With his height and pace, and now bulk by the looks of it, he would be a very dangerous and difficult matchup on a wing.

It's hard because we've seen zero of him at AFL level but I liked the Isaac Smith comparison. He's not just a Jetta type winger he'll get plenty of the ball and break games open. If Markworth becomes that we are absolutely laughing.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
The lad's got a decent set of shoulders on him now...

Started at 76kg, so he had a long way to go, but listed now at 84kg and I wouldn't be surprised if he was bigger than that, but - not surprisingly for a bloke who's had leg troubles - he still needs to build some mass on his pins.

Also looks taller than 189cm.

I saw him in the city around six months ago and he is definitely taller than 189cm. I'm around 190cm and he was taller than me.
A bunch of us that saw him up close at the open training and/or intra-club game last year thought he looked much more like 193cm than the 189cm he is listed at.
With his pace, I'm really hoping he can cut it as an outside mid, with a good degree of contested marking.
Problem with that is though that he has never at any level shown that his contested marking is a feature of his game, that I'm aware of.

A bunch of us that saw him up close at the open training and/or intra-club game last year thought he looked much more like 193cm than the 189cm he is listed at.
Problem with that is though that he has never at any level shown that his contested marking is a feature of his game, that I'm aware of.

Well stuff me! Not much use as a tall( ish ) forward than is he. The only reason height helps is to get an advantage at getting the ball.
As a 190ish cm midfielder, you'd expect it to be more of an advantage, given than most opponents will be shorter.

Here's a commentary Hayes made earlier in this thread.

There's been a lot of talk about what position he'll end up playing once his inevitable inclusion into the Saints senior side comes. Some doubt whether he'll be able to play the lead up forward role due to a lack of marking power, but one play sticks in my mind in the game I saw in the game against Werribee where he took a great contested mark in between two defenders, then took off and it eventually led to a Zebs goal. IMO the potential is there, he might just need to put on some size before we start seeing it regularly. I think he'll eventually play that lead up forward role as nobody is going to be able to keep up with him on the lead, but who also pushes up the midfield to use that pace which is the role he played regularly at Sandy.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I'm not saying he can't take a contested mark, but to the best of my knowledge it is not considered a strength of his game by any means. His best chance of taking marks up forward would be due to his elite acceleration off the mark, which will enable him to take marks on the lead.

If he is around the 193cm mark that he looked to be that will mean he's going to have a higher reach than a lot of those he's going to be coming up against though, which is an advantage.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here is one of my posts on him from after the intra-club game earlier this year:

I concur with the others today and after the open training session that Markworth has definitely grown. He looked clearly taller than 189cm to me the other week and it was confirmed today when I saw him running side by side with Acres late in the game, right in front of us. He was clearly about an inch taller than Blake and Blake measured in at 191cm a few months ago.

Superduperouzel

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
Germany
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Pauli FC, Hibernian FC
Wish him all the best. It must be really really difficult for a young player to have this many injury problems at the start of their career.
Hope this has only made him into a hardened unit that won´t give up won´t stop believing. We need young players that will do
anything to get on the park in a Saints jumper. I´m really hoping he can reach his potential that many have talked about.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Daniel is 6'3" 190.5 cm.... I asked him last year at an Auskick clinic

He is not a contested mark player, or contested ball winner

He is a wing/HB/HF

Isaac Smith type, but not that tank

Wish him all the best. It must be really really difficult for a young player to have this many injury problems at the start of their career.
Hope this has only made him into a hardened unit that won´t give up won´t stop believing. We need young players that will do
anything to get on the park in a Saints jumper. I´m really hoping he can reach his potential that many have talked about.

Isn't he studying sports science. At least he wont have a problem finding "practical experience"

Daniel is 6'3" 190.5 cm.... I asked him last year at an Auskick clinic

He is not a contested mark player, or contested ball winner

He is a wing/HB/HF

Isaac Smith type, but not that tank

A "tank" is not a physical attribute.
You can have a tank and lose it.
You can work hard and get a tank.

Its very different to being 175 cm tall, in which case you are stuck with it unless you get radical surgery in asia.

A "tank" is not a physical attribute.
You can have a tank and lose it.
You can work hard and get a tank.

Its very different to being 175 cm tall, in which case you are stuck with it unless you get radical surgery in asia.

But your own composition of 'fast' or 'slow' twitch muscle fibres is part of your attributes.

I.e. some are more ideally suited to explosive, power activities (fast twitch) than others that are more endurance (slow twitch) oriented.

I would say most are referring to this - those that are more power oriented are going to find it harder and will have to work more to develop their 'tank'.

Even then, they may still struggle to get it to an endurance level required, especially in elite sport.

Isn't he studying sports science. At least he wont have a problem finding "practical experience"
Biomedicine apparently .....what ever that actually is.

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Biomedicine apparently .....what ever that actually is.
Speaking of degrees, I graduated with Michael Barlow this week. Was crazy seeing a footballer graduate. Especially from a university in Melbourne when he is based in WA

But your own composition of 'fast' or 'slow' twitch muscle fibres is part of your attributes.

I.e. some are more ideally suited to explosive, power activities (fast twitch) than others that are more endurance (slow twitch) oriented.

I would say most are referring to this - those that are more power oriented are going to find it harder and will have to work more to develop their 'tank'.

Even then, they may still struggle to get it to an endurance level required, especially in elite sport.

Yet we see players with massive burst speed that are good enough.

As mentioned above, he is/was doing Biomed, which is leagues ahead of Sports Science, in terms of difficulty, prestige, etc. So even better for him!

Back