Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the best debut, but really good to see Browny put his arm around his shoulder like that. The perfect reminder for what an inauspicious debut can really lead to...

Still I saw some nice things amongst the nerves, there will be calls for him to be dropped but Leppa seems to have liked letting debutantes get a couple of games under the belt before sending them back to the 2s.

Agree with this. I get the feeling Gardiner will be back sooner rather than later, but I'd really like to see McStay in one or two more games in the near future.

On a couple of occasions it looked like had strong hands but didn't have the core strength.

With that performance and under normal circumstances he would be omitted but being his first game his attitude this week on the track and around the club will most likely be the decider if gets another runs. If he's ready for the challenge put in him I say but if the likely hood he will struggle and have his confidence smashed drop him back.

I've watched the replay again and was actually quite happy with Dan's debut, unfortunately he bookended the game with his two worst moments in a fumble and stepping on the line.

In between he looked quick, moved to the right positions and had good skills. Overall a promising debut, an offseason in the weights room will do wonders.

I can really see our future defender setup of Clarke, McStay and Gardner, all bring something different to the table but hopefully will compliment each other for the next decade.

I'm a bit disappointed the great Dylan McLaren didn't present Dan's jumper to him.:p

Let's hope Dan can break the recent trend of the largely unsuccessful occupiers of the #25 on the back of Bart McCulloch, Wayde Mills, Dylan McLaren and Martin McKinnon. Andy Bews went alright though.

Last edited:
Is he a defender or a forward?? Not really sure of his role in the team at the moment. He certainly looks talented and with a bit of extra skill for a big man.
Defender. But the modern game requires versatility, hence why he's been forward a bit. In the long term he's definitely a rebounding defender, and with the tools he has illustrated to date, he could be a damn fine one

I'm a bit disappointed the great Dylan McLaren didn't present Dan's jumper to him.:p

Let's hope Dan can break the recent trend of the largely unsuccessful occupiers of the #25 on the back of Bart McCulloch, Wayde Mills, Dylan McLaren and Martin McKinnon. Andy Bews went alright though.
Interesting to note having kicked his first goal this week against the suns, he only has to kick another 6 more to be the 'Brisbane Lions' highest goal kicker to wear the #25.

Good luck to the kid! :thumbsu:

He looks like he'll be a real unit when he bulks up. Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Did a sidestep in the fourth quarter to split two defenders that a man his size had no business doing, a lot to work with this kid!
Yeah, he moves really well, doesn't he? He looks more comfortable at senior level each week.

He looks like he'll be a real unit when he bulks up. Will be interesting to see how he progresses.
I had to do a double take on Saturday night as he already has filled out especially across the back. The 25 really stood out. I look forward to next year with another pre-season for all our first year draftees and to see them all line up in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppitsch had special praise for fifth-gamer Daniel McStay after the 19-year-old booted three crucial goals from 14 disposals. "We recruited him knowing he could play both ends of the ground," Leppitsch said. "He's in the Harry Taylor mould, that's the style of player he is and he can jump and mark the ball."

Within a game or two of every one of our debutants first games you can tell they're all AFL standard players. Prior to today, McStay was the one I still had queries about. After today, I don't. Great size and looks a very real prospect and one I'm delighted with.

Within a game or two of every one of our debutants first games you can tell they're all AFL standard players. Prior to today, McStay was the one I still had queries about. After today, I don't. Great size and looks a very real prospect and one I'm delighted with.
I've actually thought he's looked comfortable since day one. Granted he's made some rookie errors but imo that's not from being overawed.Not too many first gamers would line up to take the kick in with seconds to go with under a goal lead.(even though he muffed it :)) We've unearthed some special kids from the last draft. This one is no exception.

I guess I'm attracted to the idea of turning him into a key forward because I like the idea of balancing out the sidedness of pillars in attack. A left footer, or a right footer who naturally arcs the ball off the outside of their foot, to go with an orthodox kick is always great imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back