Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the article - I read that Morabito has about 350 days on Menzel before he returned to senior footy. So perhaps, just perhaps, he has another year to see if it all works out. It maybe a long shot but he may come back and still be a decent player. And we all know that Dan has only next season to show he can get out on the park and play. So the end to this horrible and cruelling story will probably be largely know in 12 or so months time.

Why he is on the list I will continue to hope - even though it is a long shot. Many thought that HMac would never play a senior game in a Geelong jumper - but he is doing ok this year. Dan's odds are probably greater to come back but there must be some slim chance otherwise GFC would have unfortunately delisted him already.

Thanks for the article - I read that Morabito has about 350 days on Menzel before he returned to senior footy. So perhaps, just perhaps, he has another year to see if it all works out. It maybe a long shot but he may come back and still be a decent player. And we all know that Dan has only next season to show he can get out on the park and play. So the end to this horrible and cruelling story will probably be largely know in 12 or so months time.

Why he is on the list I will continue to hope - even though it is a long shot. Many thought that HMac would never play a senior game in a Geelong jumper - but he is doing ok this year. Dan's odds are probably greater to come back but there must be some slim chance otherwise GFC would have unfortunately delisted him already.
Morabito played WAFL in 2012, and had another reconstruction in Jan 2013. He then returned via the WAFL in March 2014. The numbers in the article (saying he last played in 2010) are only AFL games so it's a bit misleading. I guess they could've used total time away from footy altogether, to give a more realistic comparison.
Menzel had his surgery in Aug 2013, I think (plus a clean out this year). He won't be playing seniors until, at the earliest, March? 2015, so that's an even bigger break than Morabito had. I'm happy with that- I just want him to have the best possible chance of a return.

Dan's one of my favourite players ever, and how he has navigated the past few years has just reinforced why there's a large hole in every team we've played where the #10 should be. He seems very realistic but also very determined, so I won't give up until he himself decides to end his career. He deserves every success that comes his way, and surely Morabito's return gives light at the end of the tunnel.

Menzel has had 1038 days since his last game of AFL footy for Geelong. Morabito had 1394 days yet only did 3 knee recos while Dan has had 4. Morabito seemed to have about 5 or something games in the WAFL before doing his knee again while Menz has done his straight after returning. I really hope Menz can play AFL again he deserves it! Who heard the roar in Perth when Mora came on for the first time at their home ground? Imagine that with Menzel next year! NAB Challenge 2015 here Menz comes!

Menzel has had 1038 days since his last game of AFL footy for Geelong. Morabito had 1394 days yet only did 3 knee recos while Dan has had 4. Morabito seemed to have about 5 or something games in the WAFL before doing his knee again while Menz has done his straight after returning. I really hope Menz can play AFL again he deserves it! Who heard the roar in Perth when Mora came on for the first time at their home ground? Imagine that with Menzel next year! NAB Challenge 2015 here Menz comes!

Saw him in the Peel V East Freo WAFL game over here
You forget how big he is , around 190cm - he just ran and created all day and used it so well. Kicked a couple of 50M + goals as well.
Good luck to him , hope Dan comes back in as good shape
Would be great for them both to reach their full potential :)

Ugh, every time I read about, see him on TV or hear him on the radio... should have been a 2011 premiership player. Same goes for Egan (2007 at least) I guess.

I agree with your sentiment.

And then I also have to wonder whether we would have seen one H. Taylor get the chance to join the GFC if Egan had stayed fit.

It doesn't always pay to think too much about the contingencies...

I agree with your sentiment.

And then I also have to wonder whether we would have seen one H. Taylor get the chance to join the GFC if Egan had stayed fit.

It doesn't always pay to think too much about the contingencies...

We almost certainly wouldn't have seen HT, but Egan was already so good, and promising to be a genuine major star, that we would have had no regrets.

We almost certainly wouldn't have seen HT, but Egan was already so good, and promising to be a genuine major star, that we would have had no regrets.
I disagree with that on HT Fred. We culled a stack of talls at the end of 2007 and with the exception of Adam Donohue everyone we picked up in that draft was a KPP. Think we probably still would have grabbed Taylor regardless of Egan's injury.

I disagree with that on HT Fred. We culled a stack of talls at the end of 2007 and with the exception of Adam Donohue everyone we picked up in that draft was a KPP. Think we probably still would have grabbed Taylor regardless of Egan's injury.

OK, I bow to your far superior knowledge on drafting (I mean that, incidentally, I'm not being facetious).
It would have been an interesting set up with HT as a more conventional defender and Egan charging down the guts. Query whether one of them would have ended up in a different position.

And I disagree on that.
Everyone was stunned we took HT at 17

The club knew. It's obvious now.

I remember reading somewhere (Emma Quayle's book The Draft ??) that we were keen on Scott Selwood with our first pick but the injury to Egan saw to a change in plan.

And I disagree on that.
People were 'stunned' (which happens pretty frequently when Wells picks in the first round) because they'd never heard of Harry Taylor, not because we'd picked a KPP. Off memory people on here were hoping for one of Rance or Pears, and Burgan's phantom had us taking Tony Notte. Even ignoring Egan, we moved on King, Gardiner, Sam Hunt, Playfair and Spencer at the end of 07 and then proceeded to draft (as well as Taylor) Dawson and Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna, and we elevated Lonergan. Regardless of Egan's injury we were pretty clearly in the market for KPPs and Taylor was the best one available. That people hadn't heard of him was because he wasn't 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certainly in the 'not so sure about that' camp.

I believe that Q9 was drafted in many respects as a direct response to Egan's uncertain future.

And the fact he was actually a seasoned senior player in the WAFL underlines that hypothesis for me.

Basically, we were no longer looking for the best KPP prospect for the future; we were in need of the best KPP for right now.

I believe it was a gamble that paid off incredibly well. But a gamble based on specific circumstances unfolding around Egan's horrendous injury and the possibility that he was never going to get back.

It's all speculation, I know. But that's how I see it played out.

In the end, just how we arrived at selecting our Harry is one of the many questions I'd be interested to pose to one S. Wells if the opportunity ever arose.

Last edited:
In the end, just how we arrived at selecting our Harry is one of the many questions I'd be interested to pose to one S. Wells if the opportunity ever arose.
If you do the tour of Skilled be sure and ask him! I went last year, but we didn't ask him about Harry!

And I disagree on that.

The club knew. It's obvious now.

Couldn't be a truer statement to describe the last 10 years at GFC.

Which is why I have complete faith in whatever decision the club/Menz makes.

We're incredibly lucky to have a few very, very intelligent blokes at the helm who have not only the clubs best interests at heart but also the players best interests too.

People were 'stunned' (which happens pretty frequently when Wells picks in the first round) because they'd never heard of Harry Taylor, not because we'd picked a KPP. Off memory people on here were hoping for one of Rance or Pears, and Burgan's phantom had us taking Tony Notte. Even ignoring Egan, we moved on King, Gardiner, Sam Hunt, Playfair and Spencer at the end of 07 and then proceeded to draft (as well as Taylor) Dawson and Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna, and we elevated Lonergan. Regardless of Egan's injury we were pretty clearly in the market for KPPs and Taylor was the best one available. That people hadn't heard of him was because he wasn't 18.

Yep HTaylor was about 21 and a perfect fit. He has played more games than any other from his draft year too (footywire fact of the day)!

Scott Thompson was on everyone's lips (at Geelong big footy anyway) and GFC may have taken him as well as Taylor but NMFC got in earlier (37) than we could go (we needed a ruckman more at pick 34).

Disagree. The club had an agenda as soon as we lost Egan, to find a ready-made replacement, a mature bodied KB. We have no history of recruiting like that normally, it was based on need.

Disagree. The club had an agenda as soon as we lost Egan, to find a ready-made replacement, a mature bodied KB. We have no history of recruiting like that normally, it was based on need.

But they drafted a skinny Harry Taylor.

They described Harry as ready to play, unlike "normal" first year recruit tall defenders, as you well know.
Vdubs said:

My problem was with the statement "mature bodied". And I know well that it is something that he did not have when he arrived at K'Park.

My problem was with the statement "mature bodied". And I know well that it is something that he did not have when he arrived at K'Park.
My error, he did not have a mature body, but they felt he was a ready to play, rather than a project or a typical first year recruit.

Geelong set to offer Daniel Menzel a one-year contract for 2015 season as he returns from a fourth knee reconstruction

GEELONG forward Daniel Menzel is close to signing a new one-year deal as he eyes a return from a fourth knee reconstruction.

"The best thing about that, that I rate really highly of the footy club is they’ve said to me every time I’ve done my knee, they’ve given me that assurance that everything will be all right, and that just takes that out of your mind completely,” Menzel said.

Menzel joked that after three years without a senior game, he wouldn’t have offered himself more than one year.

“That’s more than what I could ask for from the club, they’d be brave to offer me more than one year, if I was in their position I certainly wouldn’t be offering more than one year,” he laughed.

“I’m hoping to be back on the track in a couple of weeks and running, then towards finals hopefully be back into agility drills, some sort of training with the team maybe,” he said.

“Then when the boys finish up that’s when I’ll be starting to get into full training, have a little break and come day one of pre-season hopefully do everything with the boys and have a full pre-season to have a real, genuine crack at it.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e-reconstruction/story-fni5f6yf-1227001963481

I've never pulled for a player the way I am (and have in the past) for Menzel. I'm sure everyone, Geelong supporters and AFL supporters alike, are hoping equally. For all his hard work and great attitude, the kid deserves some good luck and let's hope he gets it. I dare say that if he gets on the park it'll take a good two years before I can stop watching him with my heart in mouth and a sense of dread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back