Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure it is easier to assume that Menzel will not make it back. We want him to so badly that it would hurt if he did not - so we go with the assumption he will not and if he did it would be a very pleasant surprise.

We probably basically agree he looked really good and could have been a star.

But for me he is some chance to make it still. I am not sure how the Morabito injuries measure up and compare to Menzel's - but Morabito's comeback has given me some hope Menzel may yet make a decent comeback. Why not ? GFC would not have kept him on the list if there was no hope ?

Besides there were quite a few that said HMac would never play a senior game for us - and yet he is perhaps the favoured first ruck at present.

Simpson looked like he could be gone with back injuries and he has been ok.

I just look forward to all the raves by commentators when Daniel Menzel kicks 4 goals in a senior game next season - for GFC having the belief, vision and commitment to keep Dan on the list.

Yes I am a dreamer !

While I a in a positive mood why not add Vardy coming back and being a real target all season at CHF - and kicking quite a few goals ?

Quite a few doubt that he will ever reach his potential due to injury as well.

I reckon we could have the best injured 22 list in the AFL over the past few season's. In fact few could have been All Australian Injured players IMO.

Really interesting article in the Addy about the tough times Daniel has been through, particularly the isolation of going through rehab, his loss of identity as a Geelong "player", and the depression he's felt at times.

He's clearly matured as a person dealing with all the adversity, so let's hope that despite all the risks, his story does have a fairytale ending.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...or-his-afl-dream/story-fnjuhrxq-1227004061301

Really interesting article in the Addy about the tough times Daniel has been through, particularly the isolation of going through rehab, his loss of identity as a Geelong "player", and the depression he's felt at times.

He's clearly matured as a person dealing with all the adversity, so let's hope that despite all the risks, his story does have a fairytale ending.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...or-his-afl-dream/story-fnjuhrxq-1227004061301
Thanks, mac_cat- that's a great article. One thing that resonated with me was this:
“I think it doesn’t matter how many times I do this, it’s worth it. It’s so worth it. I’ve never ever questioned whether it’s worth it, I’ve never ever questioned whether or not I should keep going."
but I'm a bit worried about this:
"...the amount of people that have stuck by me, not just the club but friends, family and fans as well, I feel like I owe it to them to get back and play.”

I dare say that if he gets on the park it'll take a good two years before I can stop watching him with my heart in mouth and a sense of dread.

I feel your pain.

Its a great article. Hope those that have called for his delisting get a read of that. Maybe, just maybe, might put a little life into that lump of coal where their hearts used to be….

GO Catters

Its a great article. Hope those that have called for his delisting get a read of that. Maybe, just maybe, might put a little life into that lump of coal where their hearts used to be….

There's a difference Daz between hoping Menzel makes it back and has any sort of career, and recognising the pressures the club is under to maintain a senior list that requires constant turnover.

Football clubs can't run on sentiment either.

There's a difference Daz between hoping Menzel makes it back and has any sort of career, and recognising the pressures the club is under to maintain a senior list that requires constant turnover.

They don't have to run on it, true, but nobody's saying they should. There is, however, definitely room for it, and always will be. Despite the oft-stated fallacy, they are not businesses, they are sporting clubs, many aspects of which have to be run like businesses - but they are still sporting clubs centred around lots of individual players, who deserve to be treated with consideration, respect and, where appropriate, compassion.

Ablett Snr, Stoneham, and Enright would play forever if that was the case.

No doubt lists need to turn over. There is room for some time and compassion as well.

GO Catters

Ablett Snr, Stoneham, and Enright would play forever if that was the case.

No doubt lists need to turn over. There is room for some time and compassion as well.

GO Catters

Which is why keeping Cowan as well is close to madness. You can maybe afford one really long term injury; not sure any club can afford two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why keeping Cowan as well is close to madness. You can maybe afford one really long term injury; not sure any club can afford two.
I think there's a few differences between those two.
For one, we've seen what one of them can do. And he keeps doing the same injury.
The other one seems to be a lot like a P76.

But that is also why I feel he will go from the main list to the Rookie list. They are hedging their bets with Cowan and giving Denzel his last chance to make it work.

Go Catters

For one, we've seen what one of them can do. And he keeps doing the same injury.

You're showing 1 - your age…

and 2 - you are gonna need to explain that one to at least 1/2 this board…

Go Catters

You're showing 1 - your age…

and 2 - you are gonna need to explain that one to at least 1/2 this board…

Go Catters

ha ha. Well you had to fluke it to not get a P76 lemon.
And effectively, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

"sales of the P76 were adversely affected by a variety of issues: component manufacturers' strikes limiting parts availability, production problems at Leyland Australia's plant in Zetland all restricted supply of the car; the release of P76 coincided with the first Oil Crisis, when fuel prices increased dramatically. As a result, demand for all larger cars subsided."

I think you are right vinum coupe
There is a reason why we have persevered with Menz and the Dockers have done the same with Morabito - both showed they were clearly in a best 22 before their injuries. If they were Billy Bunters they would both be off the List.
Not saying it's right but Clubs are run more now on results rather than sentiment , we have seen that with some of our past champions "retiring"

I expect he's on a performance based contract. We get his brother for just our first round pick = 100k bonus. We need to throw in steak knives =$80k bonus. We need to throw in a useful fringe player =$50k bonus.

ha ha. Well you had to fluke it to not get a P76 lemon.
And effectively, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

"sales of the P76 were adversely affected by a variety of issues: component manufacturers' strikes limiting parts availability, production problems at Leyland Australia's plant in Zetland all restricted supply of the car; the release of P76 coincided with the first Oil Crisis, when fuel prices increased dramatically. As a result, demand for all larger cars subsided."

And what a butt ugly vehicle it was.

leyland-p76.jpg

I think you are right vinum coupe
There is a reason why we have persevered with Menz and the Dockers have done the same with Morabito - both showed they were clearly in a best 22 before their injuries. If they were Billy Bunters they would both be off the List.
Not saying it's right but Clubs are run more now on results rather than sentiment , we have seen that with some of our past champions "retiring"

Plenty may disagree, but I think it's completely right. If you trusted older veterans to do the right thing no one would ever retire. Who would walk away from $400-500K per year? By and large they do give players plenty of time to overcome injuries. Off the top of my head, from our current list we've had Menzel, Cowan, Vardy, Simpson, Brown, and McCarthy all miss significant chunks of football (apologies if I can't remember more). There's little doubt the club could be a lot more ruthless if they really wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back