Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
does anyone else watch chad wingard do his thing and think gee thats what menz would've been like if it were not for injuries?
they remind me of eachother for some reason

Nope. Don't think about it. Some guys get injured, some don't. You can't plan for them and you can't control them. Vardy and Caddy have shown this season you can get seriously injured at training too, so it's not like playing is the main reason.

I wouldn't. The draft pick 50 something will have knees that function.
and 80% less talent and 30% less motivation…

Go Catters

Put very bluntly (and certainly not directed to Menzel) - an motivated injury-prone player is still an injury-prone player.

All I'm getting at is let the tendonitis recover. Its a different issue to the ACL per se, but clearly still an injury. After everything to this point its just time now. If he gets another major one, sure its done. But if he and the club aren't there yet, why should we say its over.. And yes the odds are against.

Go Catters

One went to Carlton (Troy)- what are the ages of the other boys? Old enough, too old, too young?
I thought/hoping there were some younger mez boys running around there's only sam (ages from 8 of may 2013).unsure even if he plays?
Adam, now 31, Matt, now 30, Chris, 23, Daniel, 21, Sam, 19 and Troy, 18,

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought/hoping there were some younger mez boys running around there's only sam (ages from 8 of may 2013).unsure even if he plays?
Adam, now 31, Matt, now 30, Chris, 23, Daniel, 21, Sam, 19 and Troy, 18,
Thanks for checking that up. I might have read something about the family when Daniel was first drafted but certainly didn't remember the boys' ages.
Maybe we could just draft Sam- even if he isn't playing footy, we can grab him as a B-grade rookie. He could have good genes :) Then we could entice Troy to the Cats to be with his brothers...

Thanks for checking that up. I might have read something about the family when Daniel was first drafted but certainly didn't remember the boys' ages.
Maybe we could just draft Sam- even if he isn't playing footy, we can grab him as a B-grade rookie. He could have good genes :) Then we could entice Troy to the Cats to be with his brothers...
I don't think Sam playing footy looking at this pics very skinny like a twig little nerdy too.

STP18

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not totally surprised by this.

If the scar tissue is the root of the issues, then a procedure to clean it up is not uncommon. Just pleased that again this is an external issue to the knee capsule itself and not DIRECTLY ACL related.
A set back for sure but not necessarily uncommon to knee recos.

Go Catters

Mackieilove

Senior List
Aug 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
For 3 full seasons???

Love to see him come back, but can't see it unfortunately. There are two scenarios I see happening:

1. Menzel tries a pre-season in 2015, is either unable to start or complete it, and retires.
2. He retires in October this year.

Scenario 1 wont happen.
I can see 2 happening.

But that's got to be the reason for the clean up and lay off.
He's only sore, he hasn't torn it. Clean it up, rest, and have a crack.

Or desperate.
You just won't give him a NTTAWWTteenth of a chance will you. Always with the storm clouds. Sure its a long shot but no longer than it was 8 months ago.
Hope its not raining on your day wherever you are.

Go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
You just won't give him a NTTAWWTteenth of a chance will you. Always with the storm clouds. Sure its a long shot but no longer than it was 8 months ago.
Hope its not raining on your day wherever you are.

Go Catters

If it isn't raining I pray to an invisible man in the sky for rain. Usually doesn't happen though. Not right now anyway, the sun is out.

Depends on your perspective. Some prefer the world as they would like it to be; I prefer it as it actually is.

If it isn't raining I pray to an invisible man in the sky for rain. Usually doesn't happen though. Not right now anyway, the sun is out.

Depends on your perspective. Some prefer the world as they would like it to be; I prefer it as it actually is.

Reality is a great place to be. Hope you never want for anything better than you have for yourself or others. Wouldn't want to break that ethos now…;)

Either way, 6 months will reveal plenty...

Go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Reality is a great place to be. Hope you never want for anything better than you have for yourself or others. Wouldn't want to break that ethos now…;)

Either way, 6 months will reveal plenty...

Go Catters

All you can go by is available evidence. And the sample of players who have successfully recovered from 4 knee reconstructions is zero (to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong on that). So I'm reserving judgement, and him being declared in May as no chance for this season isn't very encouraging.

But, it'll be an amazing transformation if he's out there in Round 1 next year.

muttonchops

Club Legend
Feb 24, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm sort of happy he has written this season off. It gives him another full 6 months to get over it so it will be an 18 month recovery which is ideal. I had a knee reco and could have comeback after 12 months but there were only 5 games of the season left so I missed them and got the extra 6 months recovery and it was a good move. It certainly wont hurt Menzel either. A full pre season is what he needs and this places him well for that.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
The club seem very confident in Dan. The kid must have some serious motivation and level-headedness. I just want to see him back on the park. I've been following his injury troubles ever since his last game for us. It's not just Geelong that needs him back. The whole competition needs him back. People have spoken about his Wingard-like abilities. I rate him higher than Wingard. He was the next big thing in my eyes as far as Geelong are concerned. I feel as though he will give it this one last shot, give it everything and try to make it work next year, rather than bombing out now for no reason. He's come this far, might as well go all the way with it and see how things pan out. Players have come back from these types of multiple injuries before. The odds are certainly stacked against him but it would be a waste of prospective talent to throw the towel in before every single option has been exhausted.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The club seem very confident in Dan. The kid must have some serious motivation and level-headedness. I just want to see him back on the park. I've been following his injury troubles ever since his last game for us. It's not just Geelong that needs him back. The whole competition needs him back. People have spoken about his Wingard-like abilities. I rate him higher than Wingard. He was the next big thing in my eyes as far as Geelong are concerned. I feel as though he will give it this one last shot, give it everything and try to make it work next year, rather than bombing out now for no reason. He's come this far, might as well go all the way with it and see how things pan out. Players have come back from these types of multiple injuries before. The odds are certainly stacked against him but it would be a waste of prospective talent to throw the towel in before every single option has been exhausted.

1 or 2 knee injuries yes, I can't remember 4 though.

Again, if it has been done please let me know. And he is still young enough.

Back