Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott suggests that:

1. Vardy's on track for round 1.

2. Vardy is still behind Menzel in his recovery.

3. Menzel may still not play next year.

So many contradictions.

I expect I won't see both boys again.:rolleyes:

I do not think Vardy has got to the point where he should be seen in the same light as Dan Menzel.

What Menzel is attempting to do, as far as I know, will be the first VFL/AFL player to come back and play after 4 knee recos.

Vardy has hip issues and now has done one knee (I think - do not know his junior footy history).

We are far more likely to get Vardy back - and in time he could even get back to full mobility and be reliable. Sure its not the outcome that is likely but it is not over for Vardy. Well not yet.

Menzel is extremely unlikely to make it back - because his injuries/issues are worse (in a footy sense).

On this I am a bit of an optimist. I think Vardy will come back - may take another season and pre-season to get back to where he should be. I am less concerned about that to some extent than I am about whether he will make on his footy skills. He is not a proven player by any stretch - and even if fully fit and playing well - he still may not break into the best 22.

I think he would need a good half season in the VFL - and then, if he is playing well enough, he may get a senior game or two for the season. That would be a good outcome for GFC and Vardy I reckon.

if he is going to be a player 2016/7 will see his emergence.

I can see potential in Vardy but I want to see him play quite a few more games before I get too excited.

So I see Vardy as a 50/50 chance - Dan I see as a 10 % chance to come back and AND become best 22 again.

Last edited:

Scott suggests that:

1. Vardy's on track for round 1.

2. Vardy is still behind Menzel in his recovery.

3. Menzel may still not play next year.

So many contradictions.

I expect I won't see both boys again.:rolleyes:

It's a possibility.

Understandable with Menzel, but even Vardy's recovery seems to be more slower, more troublesome than usual.

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if his recovery is being hindered by his previous hip injury?

I'm no medical expert, but it's not hard to imagine the hip suffering referred issues from the knee, or even vice versa - assuming they are the same side of the body. I don't recall which hip it was.

With the wreckage of HMac and Simpson already in the medical room, and Vardy's recovery going at glacial speed, it isn't hard to see Stanley and Clark in the starting 22 come Round 1.

It's a possibility.

Understandable with Menzel, but even Vardy's recovery seems to be more slower, more troublesome than usual.

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if his recovery is being hindered by his previous hip injury?

I'm no medical expert, but it's not hard to imagine the hip suffering referred issues from the knee, or even vice versa - assuming they are the same side of the body. I don't recall which hip it was.

With the wreckage of HMac and Simpson already in the medical room, and Vardy's recovery going at glacial speed, it isn't hard to see Stanley and Clark in the starting 22 come Round 1.
I think Vardy's entire injury history is the catalyst for the cautious approach. He's missed a lot of footy and only an optimist would conclude that he'll be in our early season plans. Both Stanley and Clark are locks come round 1 barring injury.

I guess I'm agreeing with you entirely.

Update in Geelong Addie suggests "roadblocks" in Menzel's recovery may prevent a return in 2015, but should not hinder him being a "long term player"

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...165490633?sv=3a09cc404fabafbaba759f5800631a7d
Right out of Scott's textbook: "How to appear to be providing insight without saying much at all"

Seriously, is there anything there we didn't already know?

Let them get on with their rehab and we will find out in good time whether they will make it back or not.

Right out of Scott's textbook: "How to appear to be providing insight without saying much at all"

Let them get on with their rehab and we will find out in good time whether they will make it back or not.
Its also about managing expectations, and Scott is a master at this.

Scott is the master at this.
Although saying Daniel is ahead of Nathan in his recovery then saying Daniel may not play next year then saying vardy is on track for round 1 tells you a fair bit.
In other words Daniel will be cherry ripe to play footy come the early part of the season but his putting no pressure on a AFL return in 2015.
Well played Chris but I know under your bed in your 2015 finals side black book you have MENZELs name in bold letters on that HFF.

No pressure though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he sucked at this in 2014. He kept telling us we were a contender when it was plain for all reasonable minds to see we weren't.

I think Vardy's entire injury history is the catalyst for the cautious approach. He's missed a lot of footy and only an optimist would conclude that he'll be in our early season plans. Both Stanley and Clark are locks come round 1 barring injury.

I guess I'm agreeing with you entirely.

Even if Vardy were fit come Round 1, I think it most likely that he'll start in the 2nds to ease him back into footy, and to show what he can, and can't, do.

Lets face it, although he didn't get a lot of consistent game time Vardy also didn't conclusively live up to the hype either. He gave glimpses of his potential, but didn't prove himself, and his ceiling has now been impacted by a serious hip, and knee, injury.

If he can return, and then make Best 22, we'll be smiling. Until then, I think we should dampen our expectations of him and realise our hopes lay with Stanley, Clark & Co, for the time being at least.

If Menzel requires the whole of 2015 for his knee tendon now I would have no problem with this at all, if the outcome means that he's more likely to be able to sustain playing footy after that. I would just worry how he would take another year being out of the game, despite the amazing mental fortitude he has already shown.

If Menzel requires the whole of 2015 for his knee tendon now I would have no problem with this at all, if the outcome means that he's more likely to be able to sustain playing footy after that. I would just worry how he would take another year being out of the game, despite the amazing mental fortitude he has already shown.

If he doesn't get a decent run of game next year (at any level) I think it is time for everyone to part ways. He needs to do something else with his life and we probably need another player on the list.

Thats kind of what I took from it. Easing the pressure on Menzel a bit by report the tendonitis issue ( which is not new and shut him down last year) but is being worked thru. Morabito had the same deal too if I recall.

Vardy being behind Menzel also not breaking news. Took 8 weeks OS to get the head right upon return. The body fat went up to 88. Down to low 60's last report and playing is around 50. Not to mention the hip's involvement in the ACL recovery. And im sure Vardy will hit tendonitis issues too if not already reported.

We have fluff pieces on people tearing it up in preseason and we have wet blanket pieces on people coming back to earth.

Both have all year to show something - anything. They are on 1 yr deals and I have a feeling will be given all of it to demonstrate a return of sorts.

Go Catters

It's a tiny consolation (not that I've ruled him out playing in 2015), but Menzel has signed on again to coach the Newtown under 14's. Hope he does some commentary work to help keep him busy too. Thought he excelled with his K-Rock commentary last season.

Love the hashtag he posted with the tweet- "find the positives". Guess all he can do is stay positive, as trying as it must be.

"Wrapped to be coaching these little legends again next year!!"
Menzel.jpg

Last edited:
So he could miss another year? I'm getting a massive sense of deja vu here, because the story seems the same as last year. As I've said before, if he can't at least play VFL in 2015, I don't see the justification for keeping him on the list any longer. Harsh, maybe, but list spots are valuable, and Menzel is one of many "black spots" on our list that hasn't done anything in years, and looks unlikely to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back