Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are these.. he needs games , just games without injury..id be happy to see him play on the wing if it was right for him. And playing forward requires more twist and turn , so I'd be just as happy to see him get games under his belt playing as a sweeper , forget 1o1 , just go out and play for a while. get loose , we will get the ball to you then kick it to advantage etc. He played HB in juniors so he can do it. To be honest , Im not even sure what type of player he will be now , but it would not surprise me if he was less agile.

Of course an alternative is FF. More mark and kick than playing as a mobile HF , but I still fear he would be tempted to do the u turn.
I remember when Menzel also played some games off the back flank in the ones. He didn't look out of place down there and that might be a good place to start him off. He can, more or less, run straight at the ball and follow his man. In defense he doesn't have to make the play like he would in the forward line.

Obviously there is still some twisting and turning but it might not be as great.

I think we'll all have our hearts in our mouths when he finally steps onto the field and I'm not really sure there is any position that doesn't pose some sort of risk (in our minds anyway).

Yes, they said when the bruising and all the rest go down, he can start running again. Obviously no lateral type stuff.

The surgeon takes hamstring stuff and uses it to make the new ACL. So my son thinks because he already has probs with his hamstring, that's another reason. Doctor told him it takes two years for the hamstring to come back to full strength after the op.

I'm hearing all this and now I understand why footballers keep re-doing their knees. I reckon an ACL should be 2 years out, now I know all this.
There are other options.
1.Some people would still advocate a LARS for an older person who was not necessarily going to play footy, and even if he was.
A good friend of ours , now in her early 50's, had a LARS some years back and still plays netball.
2. The patellar tendon can also be used as a viable graft option. In fact, this used to be the gold standard, but became less popular once hamstrings stood the test of time.
3. If there is no intention of returning to footy or basketball, and pivoting is avoided, many people avoid the reco, and can manage straight line running. It depends on whether there is other damage inside the joint, for which the MRI is useful.

That article was beautiful :cry:

Vardy tap down to Cowan in the middle who kicks long & what a beautiful mark by Menzel "Gee he's got good hands!" the commentator says. But Menzel plays on, handpassing the ball over the top to McCarthy who runs into an open goal!

and misses. :(:p

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-12/setback-for-unlucky-cat

!$!@$@#%!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bad news for the bloke. At least its not the knee but anything must be massively frustrating. Hopefully its not too bad and he can keep going.
Hopefully Hartman sees this and takes a moment to realise how lucky he is to be able to play. Not knocking Hartman at all - just highlighting the differences between circumstances/

Go Catters

!#@$#@%@#%@#%@#!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KROCK said that Menz was involved in some match simulation activities on Sat. That is actually good news to see him doing that.

The comment was made that the upside is that a slight hammy strain is not the worst thing as his body is getting used to the higher work load.

Im reaching but I gotta try.

Go Catters

KROCK reports 3 weeks on the hammy.

He played a full 15 mins of match simulation on Sat per Benny Cass.

Good signs to get thru that with only a hammy twinge.

Go Catters

I really want to see this bloke back on the park - showed several seasons ago he has REAL X FACTOR! His younger brother, one synthetic knee notwithstanding, has shown real talent and looks like he's ready for bigger and better things! Daniel, you're ready for a new chapter - we're rootin' for ya mate! No matter what club you barrack for you have to get behind one Daniel Menzel - a top footballer and a great bloke who is really deserving of his time in the son!

I feel for Dan, but it's not the end of the world. Quite often when athletes have serious joint injuries they end up straining the ligaments and muscles near the effected joint/s during their rehab because they put emphasis on strengthening these areas to help protect the joint/s. So it's only a minor set back at this stage.

In the grand scheme of things a hammy strain is only a minor issue. He's still a little way off so at least it hasn't come at a time when he's looking at being close to playing. I think with his long lay off his body is adjusting back into the rigors of AFL and any minor strains/tightness can probably be expected. If it was a Judd hammy I'd be a bit more worried, but 3 weeks shouldn't effect his comeback if only very slightly.
Any Menzel setback, no matter how minor, is going to be front page news.

In the grand scheme of things a hammy strain is only a minor issue. He's still a little way off so at least it hasn't come at a time when he's looking at being close to playing. I think with his long lay off his body is adjusting back into the rigors of AFL and any minor strains/tightness can probably be expected. If it was a Judd hammy I'd be a bit more worried, but 3 weeks shouldn't effect his comeback if only very slightly.
Any Menzel setback, no matter how minor, is going to be front page news.

I agree that it's unlikely to affect his comeback, but not for the same reason.

I really want to see this bloke back on the park - showed several seasons ago he has REAL X FACTOR! His younger brother, one synthetic knee notwithstanding, has shown real talent and looks like he's ready for bigger and better things! Daniel, you're ready for a new chapter - we're rootin' for ya mate! No matter what club you barrack for you have to get behind one Daniel Menzel - a top footballer and a great bloke who is really deserving of his time in the son!
I've read your board a few times and you all seem to have this view. Kudos mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back