manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
I know it gives everyone a heart attack when the "Injury Daniel Menzel - knee tendonitis" thread is bumped.
So let's keep it in here.
10522209_276338082564363_10715707_n.jpg

I wouldn't use him as the sub, at least not early in his return anyway - if he is deemed fit enough to play senior football then either start him on the ground or start him on the bench where he will be on within the first 5 minutes; he would be that nervous (as will the crowd) that I would rather see him have an early opportunity to get his hands on the ball and have the ability to control his amount of game time by baring injury being able to pick when he is subbed off.
Just not sure that using a (very) long term injured player as sub, at least early in their return is the smartest option.

Agree completely and as Fred mentioned why then put his fitness at risk by playing him as the sub for 2 months.

The brutal truth of it all is they need to push him and risk breaking him when he is back and ready, no point him playing 20 mins be week to protect him, he is either right to play or he isn't...

And there is no guarantee (despite the optimism of many here) that he will even perform well enough to get back in the seniors, or to then hold his spot... only need to look at how Morrabito went this year, but I'd be pretty sure Menz would be fine with playing only a few AFL games and plenty of VFL ones if it meant a full year on the park

If he's knee is gonna go, it's gonna go no matter what sort of intensity he's playing at.

At this stage I keep telling myself expect nothing as I'm too conditioned for disappointment with the poor bugger now.

The one big positive is that Menzel might be one of only a handful that don't share my pessimism.

So there you have it. Do we put him in cotton wool and bring him out on birthdays and milestone games or play him 4 quarters for 25 games a year?

I think it's the perspective.
In this photo he doesn't seem too far behind the others.
10706727_1524104187831622_1140829710_n.jpg

I know from experience your thighs atrophy when you injure your knee. This is your body's natural response and I believe this is done in order to diminish the capacity of your muscles and thus reduce the chance of further damage. I wonder if working on a similar principle they want him to have smaller legs? Or maybe it's just part of a plan to reduce his overall size? He/is was 89kg... I think he could trim down a bit without much consequence.

Or as you say just hasn't been smashing the big boy weights. He has done a lot of rehab so I'd be curious to know the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quads wasting is simply a sign of disuse.
I know my all time favourite triple premiership player did heaps of cycling to x-train after his ACL, and came back as fast as ever. No sign of quads wasting; admittedly, only the one reco.
Surely the rehab team will have Menzel's quads in prime condition, photos are deceptive.

So there you have it. Do we put him in cotton wool and bring him out on birthdays and milestone games or play him 4 quarters for 25 games a year?

Nope. Zero cotton wool. Full training and full contact. If he breaks down again tough. He's been paid very, very well to be a cripple for 3 years. There's been more than enough charity at the club.

I looked at that pic and thought, oh dear, chicken legs.

You would pass out after 35 secs of what he's gone thru. Those legs have atrophied surely but they are also specifically trained…. and will be more so going forward.

Go Catters

Thanks for the compliment. Good to see you didn't need to resort to insults. :thumbsu:

You are calling a player on a senior list a cripple. Last time I checked a cripple can't move, walk, or get out of bed. I know want any hurt player over 6 weeks delisted -we all do as you post it regularly - but you don't think cripple is a little over dramatic. I called you on it.

GO Catters

You would pass out after 35 secs of what he's gone thru. Those legs have atrophied surely but they are also specifically trained…. and will be more so going forward.

Go Catters
I don't really get the first comment? I'm sure the club will employ all their expertise to bring him up to speed as best they can. It was merely an observation.:confused:

You are calling a player on a senior list a cripple. Last time I checked a cripple can't move, walk, or get out of bed. I know want any hurt player over 6 weeks delisted -we all do as you post it regularly - but you don't think cripple is a little over dramatic. I called you on it.

GO Catters

This isn't a charity organisation; it's a professional sporting club. We need as many fit players every year to even hope to compete. We've got not one, but two players who haven't played a senior game in over 3 years. They're going to get their chance no doubt, but they can't be kept in cotton wool for one second longer.

This isn't a charity organisation; it's a professional sporting club. We need as many fit players every year to even hope to compete. We've got not one, but two players who haven't played a senior game in over 3 years. They're going to get their chance no doubt, but they can't be kept in cotton wool for one second longer.

I would agree with that. I objected to the DQ use of cripple. That is all.

Go Catters

How is his development going guys?

I'm interested how he's fared in reserves games when he has come back (discounting the injury.)
With young A. Johnson doing his 3rd (4th?) reco for us in 2 years, I have my doubts he will be half the player he was.

Quads wasting is simply a sign of disuse.
I know my all time favourite triple premiership player did heaps of cycling to x-train after his ACL, and came back as fast as ever. No sign of quads wasting; admittedly, only the one reco.
Surely the rehab team will have Menzel's quads in prime condition, photos are deceptive.
Ahhhh Wojo... what a legend he was. Just about the most exciting player ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back