Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I think most would be content (a little disappointed) if he were to have a Jason McCartney style moment and make it back for just the one senior game. Anything after that is just great.

Without wanting to sound callous McCartney was done (I will avoid using obvious puns).

Menzel is not done yet. We all know he is one bad moment away from disaster but he deserves his chance.
Its a bad choice but I would prefer he bows out as an AFL footballer if his knee is to go next week.

We don't know whether he will play 1 or 50 or 100 more games. If his form is OK he should face those unkowns in the AFL.

Without wanting to sound callous McCartney was done (I will avoid using obvious puns).

Menzel is not done yet. We all know he is one bad moment away from disaster but he deserves his chance.
Its a bad choice but I would prefer he bows out as an AFL footballer if his knee is to go next week.

We don't know whether he will play 1 or 50 or 100 more games. If his form is OK he should face those unkowns in the AFL.
That's not exactly what I meant. I'd love him to play 150 more games but what I meant was that if he came back and only played 1 more that's an achievement in itself given how much hardship he's been through just to get to where he is now.

That's not exactly what I meant. I'd love him to play 150 more games but what I meant was that if he came back and only played 1 more that's an achievement in itself given how much hardship he's been through just to get to where he is now.
I reckon that'd be just as heartbreaking as not making it back at all, NSFB. Like putting all your spare time and cash into doing up a vintage car, only to crash it into a passing car as you're backing out of your driveway.
Heartbreaking.

Sorry I did not want anyone to feel bad.

Its just right now I see a chance to improve our teams input in the AFL.......... I also a see a chance for Dan to continue his work in the AFL system.

Best case scenario - dual premiership player. Worst case one more game, but go out on national telly as a talent lost to the game. With that capital he has a chance to make his way in the industry.

Wouldn't make a bad commentator compared with most going around.

Best case scenario - dual premiership player. Worst case one more game, but go out on national telly as a talent lost to the game. With that capital he has a chance to make his way in the industry.

Wouldn't make a bad commentator compared with most going around.

Unless, of course, he wants to do something worthwhile with his life.

I have attended Dans comeback games and I believe the way he played on Saturday, he is ready for an AFL return. His speed when he went into the midfield and his clearances were outstanding. I know there is a risk, but the risk will be there for the rest of his life, he is an AFL footballer its time to let him play. I would rest Lang and play Menz.

I'd give him another game in the VFL and then start him on the field the following week. He hasn't been waiting this long to be the sub!

Not worried about him coming in against the better teams either. All AFL games are tough and he likes the pressure anyway.

The big question(s):

-Does Menz return to the seniors next week against Brisbane?
-And when he does return does he start on field or be sub?

Lots of diversity of opinion so far on this one, I'm in two minds myself as to which way I'd want it to pan out.

First things first; full credit to Menzel for all of his hard work, he's shown a ton of tenacity and application in just getting back on the field.
Given this is his first even remotely extended run after his original knee injury in the 2011 QF, it's a reflection of his sheer footballing ability that he's been able to make a pretty decent impact at VFL level in his time-managed 3 games after such a long time out of the game.

While I think it's pretty clear that even a relatively rusty Dan Menzel is a cut above VFL level, the pace and physicality of AFL level footy will be a step up; with the senior side playing solid footy at the moment I'd personally be content to see him continue to manage his game time as appropriately as the fitness and medical staff see fit in the 2nds for one more week at least until he is genuinely 'match fit'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of diversity of opinion so far on this one, I'm in two minds myself as to which way I'd want it to pan out.

First things first; full credit to Menzel for all of his hard work, he's shown a ton of tenacity and application in just getting back on the field.
Given this is his first even remotely extended run after his original knee injury in the 2011 QF, it's a reflection of his sheer footballing ability that he's been able to make a pretty decent impact at VFL level in his time-managed 3 games after such a long time out of the game.

While I think it's pretty clear that even a relatively rusty Dan Menzel is a cut above VFL level, the pace and physicality of AFL level footy will be a step up; with the senior side playing solid footy at the moment I'd personally be content to see him continue to manage his game time as appropriately as the fitness and medical staff see fit in the 2nds for one more week at least until he is genuinely 'match fit'.

You'd think we must have learnt from trying to rush guys back to trying with him by now. It worked with Duncan, thus far, but I think Menz can wait
a tad and get up some cardio. Rule number 1.

zombieland-rule-number-one-cardio-300x207.jpg

I think it's the right decision, even though I wanted to see him in this week.

Having taken such a conservative management to his knee injury for so long, it would be foolish to get carried away with his recent good progress and rush him straight back into the seniors. He's been out of the game for so long, that he really needs a decent amount of match conditioning at the lower intensity of VFL before coming in to AFL level.

There's nothing to be gained by having him play two extra games at AFL level this year, but risk any sort of injury that might occur from playing at the higher intensity too soon. Dan (and we fans) have been patient for so long, we'll just have to keep waiting a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back