Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably prudent but a little disappointing:

as I said the other day I hope they just stick to the plan

It sounds as though they are which is good

as I said the other day I hope they just stick to the plan

It sounds as though they are which is good

From memory they said a month in the VFL which will be after this weekend but to rule him out of any coming fixtures in the next few weeks is not sticking to the plan.

From memory they said a month in the VFL which will be after this weekend but to rule him out of any coming fixtures in the next few weeks is not sticking to the plan.
I don't think they actually said that did they? I think that has been a BigFooty invention.

I don't think they actually said that did they? I think that has been a BigFooty invention.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...oach-chris-scott/story-fnjuhrxq-1227433730873

Scott said Menzel would need at least a month in the VFL before being considered for a remarkable comeback in the AFL.

It will take some time for him. He hasn’t played in four years,” he said.
Not quite a BF invention, but how quickly 'at least a month' becomes 'a month'!

Understand the decision.
Perhaps they want a month of full games which would make sense.
He has had played 1 game for 3 quarters & 2 full games.
So this week & next week full games & depending on his performances they could consider playing him against the Hawks otherwise I'd say against St. Kilda at Etihad in round 21.
Sadly not a Geelong return game it's looking like.
Vardy has returned in VFL 2 weeks after Menzel did, so if Vardy returns to AFL 2 weeks after Menzel does, then Vardy could be returning against the Crows in the last round!

Understand the decision.
Perhaps they want a month of full games which would make sense.
He has had played 1 game for 3 quarters & 2 full games.
So this week & next week full games & depending on his performances they could consider playing him against the Hawks otherwise I'd say against St. Kilda at Etihad in round 21.
Sadly not a Geelong return game it's looking like.
Vardy has returned in VFL 2 weeks after Menzel did, so if Vardy returns to AFL 2 weeks after Menzel does, then Vardy could be returning against the Crows in the last round!
Or not at all.....
It could all be about getting a good solid run of VFL footy in, load up for pre-season and be ready for the start of next year...
I have never heard them put a time line on a return, it's been he needs at least a month and then go from there

Seems like a sensible decision. Until they decide they're going to bring him back for his first game against the Hawks and Mitchell puts his knee through him before the end of the first quarter. :rolleyes:

Difficult to think of many better games than Brisbane at KP to ease him back into AFL though to be honest. Still, he'd only be a distraction for everyone when we're all trying to concentrate on sledging Allen ChristHe'sGone for the full four quarters.

Strong chance he won't play AFL at all this year now in my mind. Either way lets hope he's good to go for next season because that's really what matters now.

Or maybe they just don't want a massive build up like the first VFL game.
List him as an emergency when the AFL team plays first then have him a late into the team.

Means the press and the pressure etc would be short term - like an hour or two - as opposed to all week.

Just for the cloak and dagger types.

GO Catters

Or maybe they just don't want a massive build up like the first VFL game.
List him as an emergency when the AFL team plays first then have him a late into the team.

Means the press and the pressure etc would be short term - like an hour or two - as opposed to all week.

Just for the cloak and dagger types.

GO Catters

But I want a massive build-up Menz deserves it! :D
Obviously he won't want one but I am already planning a motorcade before the game ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a sensible decision. Until they decide they're going to bring him back for his first game against the Hawks and Mitchell puts his knee through him before the end of the first quarter. :rolleyes:

Difficult to think of many better games than Brisbane at KP to ease him back into AFL though to be honest. Still, he'd only be a distraction for everyone when we're all trying to concentrate on sledging Allen ChristHe'sGone for the full four quarters.

Strong chance he won't play AFL at all this year now in my mind. Either way lets hope he's good to go for next season because that's really what matters now.
Strongly disagree about the Lions bit- they have many feisty tackling mids.
Strongly agree with all the rest.

I met the great man about an hour ago... Great to see some really solid, consistent performances in the 2's.

11214179_877280852308577_8669536259040350484_n.jpg

I met the great man about an hour ago... Great to see some really solid, consistent performances in the 2's.

11214179_877280852308577_8669536259040350484_n.jpg

how's that mark he took :D

I hope they show a replay of it on the Cats website. Probably wasn't as spectacular as what I remember but it did look like he was up there for a while.
One of those perfect text book speccies. Kind of mark only a technically gifted player could achieve.

Been a while hasn't it? The last time we had a player taking a speccie on a regular basis was Podsiadly and Wojcinski.

Some excerpts from the game day report: (EDIT- just realised that I'm not in the VFL thread so will have to delete most of this and repost it there. Sorry!)
Here's the relevant part about Menzel:
Daniel Menzel was dangerous up forward, kicking three goals, taking nine marks and tallying 21 touches in his fourth game back from injury.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-08-02/vfl-cats-record-convincing-win

Last edited:
Would Dan had given the same as Cocky coming on as the sub? Probably yes.
Would the injection of feeling it would give to the side and club be beneficial? Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back